Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Entering on a Fiance Visa: what should I expect?  (Read 532 times)

• Liked: 0
Entering on a Fiance Visa: what should I expect?
« on: December 29, 2008, 12:58:37 AM »
Hi all:

I am entering the UK in January on a fiance visa I received in November (but dated Jan 1.)

My question is simple: what should I expect? Is there documentation needed beyond the Visa? Is there anything I should do to make the entry into the UK as smooth as possible?

Thank you for any information you might give me.

Best,

T

• Liked: 2
Re: Entering on a Fiance Visa: what should I expect?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 01:14:54 AM »
What can I say? I breezed right through immigration. Hailed a cab, picked up my cat at the ARC and...that was that.

Pretty anticlimactic, really.

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 05:02:15 AM »
Mine was a but underestimated as well. In fact, I was waiting for 20 questions so I could show off my UKY knowledge on immigration. It didn't happen. Basically asked a few simple questions as I stood there with my life in my suitcases and then the IO reminded me I did have until Jan. '09 to get married, even though I said we planned on doing a registry office ceremony that Autumn.

My suggestion is to confidently hand over your passport, already opened to the pretty visa vignette, and give a pleasant smile. It's essentially your ticket in and they shouldn't give you too much of a hassle. It's not like being a visitor where they're trying to get to the "real" reason for your visit...you're getting married...so prepare for questions about your plans for marriage. If it's not set in stone (i.e. you're doing a registry office deal) then make sure the IO knows that YOU know what you're talking about.

People trying to get into the UK for the wrong reasons or who are trying to sneak through the red tape are easy to shake and the IOs are trained to expect this.

You'll be fine though. :-D
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:36:05 AM »
My suggestion is to confidently hand over your passport, already opened to the pretty visa vignette, and give a pleasant smile.

And your landing card!  Don't think just because you have a visa you don't need the landing card...

It usually goes like this:
IO: "How long are you visiting for?"
You: "Forever" (usually with giddy exhuberation)
(IO, Actually looks at Visa)
IO: "Where is your fiancé?"
You: "Waiting for me [insert wherever]."
IO: "Welcome to the UK"
*stamp* *stamp*
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 08:45:47 AM »
When I entered on my fiance visa a year ago the IO asked me what I felt were unneccessary questions including:  "What does your fiance do for a living?"  "What is your job?"  (when I told him I obviously quit my job to come live in the UK and get married, he asked, "Well what was your job *before* you quit it?")  Surely I had to go through all of this in order to get the visa in the first place.  He was also quite grumpy and irritated through all of it.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »
Although it is unnecessary and usually superfluous, I invariably recommend that arriving fiances carry a print out of Paragraphs 289AA - 295.  Although it is lunacy, we have had IO's who adamantly deny there is such a thing as a fiance visa.

It is also prudent to have the UK partner's postal code handy in case they want to refer you for health screening.  They shouldn't do this normally with the fast-track countries, but you never know whether they know that or not.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:56:57 PM »
Although it is unnecessary and usually superfluous, I invariably recommend that arriving fiances carry a print out of Paragraphs 289AA - 295.  Although it is lunacy, we have had IO's who adamantly deny there is such a thing as a fiance visa.

Yes, this happened to me in July. I remained calm and pleasant, despite the IO's curt remarks about there being no such thing as a fiance visa and her disbelief that we had not yet set a wedding date. Make sure you know the rules and procedures, and be polite if you encounter this lunacy. Once she went off behind the scenes and checked on my case, she returned with a very different attitude!

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »
I entered 2 weeks ago on the same visa.  Wasn't too bad...how long you staying? Forever...getting married I see...yep...when...not sure yet....why not? Waiting to give notice after my 7 days are up...where is he now?  Waiting for me through those doors....a few minutes later...after looking between me and my 2 pictures about 4 times.  Said welcome to England.  That was that:) Try not to be nervous should be fine!

They really didn't know a fiance visa existed??? WOW that is crazy!! I don't know what I would have done.

Sponsored Links