Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Student Visas to Citizenship?  (Read 506 times)

• Liked: 0
Student Visas to Citizenship?
« on: December 29, 2008, 02:43:20 AM »
I have a very very limited idea how this works. As of 2010 I will be attending an Uni. in the UK, I know I need a student visa to do that. However I have no intention of ever leaving the UK. I need to know how to become a British citizen in the fastest amount of time possible. How can I do this, should I get a different visa other then student one? Please help.

Re: Student Visas to Citizenship?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:39:04 AM »
Well, in order to become a citizen (assuming you are American and do not have a British parent), you first need to be able to be in the UK on a path that leads to settlement (permanent residency or ILR). Currently, these paths are:

Marriage/civil partnership to a British national
Tier 1 visa (highly skilled worker, entrepreneur, or investor)
Tier 2 visa (sponsored work permit to work for UK company, minister of religion, professional sportsperson, or US/UK intracompany transfer)

There is a provision under the Tier 1 visa called Post-Study Worker that allows graduates of UK universities to apply to remain in the UK to look for work. If you have been accepted to a British university and attend, this might be the most straightforward way for you to remain in the UK after you graduate.

After having permanent residency for a certain amount of time, which varies depending on how you are in the UK, you can apply for citizenship. Please remember that there is no quick (or cheap!) immigration solution; just ask anyone here, and also that immigration law changes fairly rapidly.

The UK Border Agency's website is http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ and will be helpful to you.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:51:00 AM by loveaturtle »
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." - Almost Famous

"Everyone, just...pretend to be normal, okay?" - Little Miss Sunshine

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 06:05:43 AM »
I have a very very limited idea how this works. As of 2010 I will be attending an Uni. in the UK, I know I need a student visa to do that. However I have no intention of ever leaving the UK. I need to know how to become a British citizen in the fastest amount of time possible. How can I do this, should I get a different visa other then student one? Please help.

Student visas are issued with the understanding that you will leave when your course is finished. Unless you can get another type of visa, a student visa can take 10 years (I believe) to lead to ILR.  It's not a very effective way to get citizenship. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:28:37 AM »
Indeed, it's not a very effective or fast way.  It's now been just under 4 years since I applied for my student visa, so things have changed a bit.  I don't think they stress quite as strongly as they did back then your intentions to leave when your studies are finished because there is an understanding these days that there are possibilities for staying after graduation.  HOWEVER, I don't believe stating on a student visa application form that you don't plan to leave and that you want citizenship as soon as possible is going to get you a visa!  Also, the few times I re-entered the UK on my student visa, I was generally questioned as to whether my courses had changed.  I could always honestly answer 'no' to that one, although my now-DH and I eventually applied for and received a Certificate of Approval, got married, and I applied for a spousal visa.

So, I've been here for 3+ years and am not eligible for citizenship yet!  This is due to my own unique immigration history, and is also in spite of the fact that I'm the child of a British parent...a long and involved story that I'm not going to tell, but I mention it to point out that there are very few fast options. 

At this point in time, the fastest way is via a spousal visa which CURRENTLY has residency requirements of 3 years (and a few other hurdles to jump as well).  A student visa isn't considered to be a settlement visa, although I've heard of the 10 year wait for permanent residence on that one too, plus an additional wait before being able to apply for citizenship.

Welcome to the forum...I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting information here.  Your responses so far, especially what loveaturtle has had to say, should give you plenty to think about for starters!
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Liked: 31
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »
I would also note that the Tier 1 post-study work visa is valid for 2 years, but also does not count towards settlement. From that visa you have to switch to either Tier 2 (sponsored work permit) or Tier 1 General/Entrepreneur/Investor visa in order to start counting for settlement. A student visa is a foot in the door, and who knows, you may meet someone on your course.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

Sponsored Links