Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stupid Mistake! Help!  (Read 806 times)

• Judy, Ari and I
    • First and Lexingotn
  • Liked: 0
Stupid Mistake! Help!
« on: December 29, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »
Quick Break Down:

Met my wife (UK citizen)/friendship started Aug 2001
Relationship began Nov 2005
Engaged Jun 2006
Married Sep 2008 in Southampton, England in a church
Applied for Spousal Visa for the UK Dec 3rd
Biometrics Dec 13th
Sent printed application and support materials off Dec 18th via USPS Overnight
Application delivered at 11:45 AM on December 19, 2008 in NEW YORK

With the holidays and what not, I know I will not get this back super quick, no matter how straight forward our application is.

However, I am having a mild melt down as I woke up in the middle of the night last week as I realized I forgot to sign my printed application. What is going to happen? We were in a huge rush to get the application off that I forgot the stupidest thing possible. 

Is this grounds for denial of the visa? Everything else is air tight, right down to having certified copies of my wife's passport and birth certificate.

We have put so much into this whole frustrating process, I can't afford (financially or mentally) to go through this again over a signature!

Advice?

Re: Stupid Mistake! Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:31:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure this has happened before and I think all turned out ok...best to do a search for previous threads about this.

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »
I think I must be missing something.  If you married in Sept 08 in Southhampton England, why are you applying to New York?  Were you here on a visit for marriage visa?  Did you have a fiance visa?  Where are you now? 
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
Usually you can fax a signature to the consulate.  They are likely shut for the holidays, but I would try to get ahold of WorldBridge and they can put you in touch with the NY Consulate. (https://www.visainfoservices.com/Pages/Content.aspx?tag=Welcome_Page)  If you submitted your application via a expiditor/courier, you should contact them.

They may also attempt to contact you directly via the information your provided when you submitted your application.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
This did happen to someone at the end of Oct.  I believe they faxed a letter to the consulate that they'd send off another copy of the application with a signature and they received an email that it wasn't necessary because of the biometrics or something.  Found the thread:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=48006.msg678798#msg678798

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »
That's some good spotting, cleo!

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 06:41:17 PM »
I think I must be missing something.  If you married in Sept 08 in Southhampton England, why are you applying to New York?  Were you here on a visit for marriage visa?  Did you have a fiance visa?  Where are you now? 

I'm missing this too.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:15:20 PM »
That's some good spotting, cleo!

I only remember it because I freaked out about the same thing after reading his post!

• Judy, Ari and I
    • First and Lexingotn
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
I'm missing this too.

I entered the country as a visitor and was married in the Church of England. The church has its own set of rules. We didn't need a fiance visa to get married in the church. It is an unknown fact.

• Judy, Ari and I
    • First and Lexingotn
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 08:19:58 PM »
I only remember it because I freaked out about the same thing after reading his post!

Good looking out Cleo! I feel a lot better about that now. The whole process is a lot of work and frustration...thanks for finding that thread.

g

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
I entered the country as a visitor and was married in the Church of England. The church has its own set of rules. We didn't need a fiance visa to get married in the church. It is an unknown fact.

It's not completely unknown that the CofE has a work-around.  Problem is, for those contemplating this strategy, the CofE are being quietly pushed (i.e., bullied) into dropping this provision.  The timeframe is relatively near-term, so be sure it's still around before trying it.

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 12:33:42 AM »
To the OP: So you married in the CoE as a visitor and applied for a visa via NY...does that mean you applied from the UK or are you back in the US?
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• My blog!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »
It is an unknown fact.

Well, as garry said, not quite unknown, but not common, because as you stated the CoE has it own rules on who they will marry and what relationship they have with the Church.  Publishing of Baans and all the fun...
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Banned

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
Just to clarify (from a recent conversation with the Vicar who is marrying me next year) it isn't a case of the C of E being pushed by the HO to change their rules, but more a case of the Church getting annoyed with people using them to by-pass the COA rules.  I think they were getting fed up with blatant non-Christians and those not really serious about marriage insisting on church weddings.

Vicky

• Judy, Ari and I
    • First and Lexingotn
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 01:45:44 PM »
Just to clarify (from a recent conversation with the Vicar who is marrying me next year) it isn't a case of the C of E being pushed by the HO to change their rules, but more a case of the Church getting annoyed with people using them to by-pass the COA rules.  I think they were getting fed up with blatant non-Christians and those not really serious about marriage insisting on church weddings.

Vicky

This is truly the case. It just so happens that my wife's father is a Vicar (as are he Uncle and Auntie!) in the CoE and that is the only reason we knew about this work around. Otherwise we would have had to get a fiance visa, etc etc. She (my wife) has actively been apart of the CoE since she was a child, and I have been since 2005. I am currently in the states, hence the reason I applied to NY.

g

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab