Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is it wise to get rid of your former citizenship once one becomes "British"  (Read 1368 times)

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: Is it wise to get rid of your former citizenship once one becomes "British"
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »
Well If I have to wait a decade then I guess I will just work and wait and be happy about it  :)

I think you need to do a lot more reading about immigration.  If you enter on a student visa, you can work 20 hours a week during term time.  Your degree program will be a set length of time, after which you have to switch visas or leave the UK.  If you switch to a Post Study visa, your citizenship clock starts over again and you are on a set timeline for how long your visa is valid. The time you spend in the UK isn't cumulative.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Vicky or Garry!) 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
If you switch to a Post Study visa, your citizenship clock starts over again and you are on a set timeline for how long your visa is valid. 

No, depending on how you obtain your citizenship the clock for it starts from the moment you enter the country, not from your most recent visa.  If you were to leave the UK and come back later on a different visa, the clock resets.  The other thing you have to have is a visa without any time limits on it (ILR), but it doesn't matter when you get that as long as you have it in your posession when you apply.  For example, someone could enter the UK on a work permit, get married at about 12 months into that visa, switch to spousal but not be able to get their ILR for another 2 years but then on the very next day they had their ILR apply for Citizenship.

The government is actively pursuing eliminating Citizenship based on the long-stay rule, or even just because you have continued to live and work in the UK.  They feel Citizenship is not an automatic right.

To Bronco, you have to be in the country LEGALLY for the period of time required to get your UK Citizenship.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• My Blog
Nothing to do with gov't is ever easy I guess...or fast ha..Could always hide out and hope I dont get caught :P

Joking or not, THAT sounds SMRT.

I'm sorry, I think it's just a bit of an insult for someone to come into one of these forums, where the majority of us who have been through, and are going through the immigration/citizenship process the LEGAL way, and blatently suggest or imply doing the same by deceit.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• Liked: 0
Joking or not, THAT sounds SMRT.

I'm sorry, I think it's just a bit of an insult for someone to come into one of these forums, where the majority of us who have been through, and are going through the immigration/citizenship process the LEGAL way, and blatently suggest or imply doing the same by deceit.

I think you're overreacting.

IMO, it was obvious that he was making a joke.

• Home for good!
If it was a joke, it was in bad taste.  Sometimes, before you say something supposedly funny, you may need to check your surroundings
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

UK Borders staff do read this forum.

[GLOBAL MOD NOTE]

OKAY.  Everybody take a step back.  This is obviously a young person in the very early stages of investigating the fun that is immigrating to a new country.  Let's all just take it for what it is and stop thinking the worse.  No one is belittling anyone.  No one is suggesting that they are actually going to stay here illegally.
Everyone take a chill pill.

• Liked: 0

What?  You mean they can actually read?

T'would be sheer folly to give up your, or anyone else's US citizenship.  As a born and bred Pom, I fail to see the attraction of this country.

• My Blog
I think you're overreacting.

IMO, it was obvious that he was making a joke.

I clearly see it was a joke as well. All I was trying to point out is that lots of us on here work hard at doing things the right way and I personally find it a bit insulting in general that we do our best to follow the rules and other people who don't or imply they may not just laugh it off. I paid dearly to get where I am now.

Not trying to start anything over it honestly, just pointing it out that not everyone takes it so lightly. That's all. If it is a case of someone naive about the process, I'm only bringing it to their attention.

Sometimes, before you say something supposedly funny, you may need to check your surroundings

It's just a respect thing, I think. It's just frustrating to see people share their stories here about being refused entry or leave to remain for being honest...and someone then make a joke about it.

Plus, like contrex pointed out as well...

23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

[MOD NOTE]

We're done here.  The answer is no.  It's not wise.

Now everyone move along.

Oh, and....

Sponsored Links