Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you knitting?  (Read 17853 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: What are you knitting?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »
I just started my first argyle work yesterday (a scarf) and I'm so thrilled with how great it looks!!

For some reason I've been knitting like mad the last few weeks.  I've made two scarves (one is 9 feet long!), a wrap, two hats, fingerless gloves, a mesh shopping bag, a cardigan, three flower pins and started on my argyle scarf all in the last 2 weeks!

I just started taking pictures of my work and keeping a gallery on my site here: http://jessismore.com/yarn/

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »
Where does everyone get their ideas/patterns for projects? 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 12:17:07 PM »
Where does everyone get their ideas/patterns for projects? 

The hat I will eventually (I swear!) get around to doing came from Ravelry.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
Everywhere!  People walking around (this is a great time of year to spy knitting projects) photographs in magazines, my head.  Also, clothing stores! Often I see something I really like and think, "I could so make that for less that it costs and I can so make it better."  

Sometimes I'll just want to make a hat or a scarf or a blanket and Google for free patterns and get ideas that way.

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »
The hat I will eventually (I swear!) get around to doing came from Ravelry.

I'm still waiting for my invitation from Ravelry.  I'm getting impatient!

Everywhere!  People walking around (this is a great time of year to spy knitting projects) photographs in magazines, my head.  Also, clothing stores! Often I see something I really like and think, "I could so make that for less that it costs and I can so make it better."  

Sometimes I'll just want to make a hat or a scarf or a blanket and Google for free patterns and get ideas that way.

I can't wait to see some of your stuff on your blog! :)

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 12:31:40 PM »
I'm still waiting for my invitation from Ravelry.  I'm getting impatient!

I can't wait to see some of your stuff on your blog! :)

I really wish I'd started taking pictures of the things I made earlier :(  I have tons of amazing stuff that I made for friends in the States which I'll never see again and I have no proof that I made it! 

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 05:49:06 PM »
cleo, I thought I was obsessed! :o Your projects are gorgeous--I love the argyle.

I've made a hat (well, I had to do it twice) and four cat toys. And I just bought wool for a hat for J and a bag for me, plus a set of double-pointed needles so I can learn to work in the round to make more cat toys! The hats and bag came out of a Sirdar leaflet I bought at Hobbycraft, and the cat toys are free patterns I've Googled.

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 06:20:47 PM »
cleo, I thought I was obsessed! :o Your projects are gorgeous--I love the argyle.

I've made a hat (well, I had to do it twice) and four cat toys. And I just bought wool for a hat for J and a bag for me, plus a set of double-pointed needles so I can learn to work in the round to make more cat toys! The hats and bag came out of a Sirdar leaflet I bought at Hobbycraft, and the cat toys are free patterns I've Googled.

Have you seen/made the feline dim sum toys?  They're so cute!: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTdimsum.html

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »
Have you seen/made the feline dim sum toys?  They're so cute!: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTdimsum.html

Those are very cute!

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
I just started my first argyle work yesterday (a scarf) and I'm so thrilled with how great it looks!!

Wow, its gorgeous! Is it hard to work with several colours?

• Snaps
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »

I love those!! Can you put the catnip straight into the knitted thing, or does it have to be sewn into a little bag first? My cat rips all his toys to bits, so I'd be worried about constantly having to hoover up catnip.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »
Wow, its gorgeous! Is it hard to work with several colours?

I had a really tough time with it at first and worked really slowly, but after about 2 inches I got the hang of it and can knit almost as fast as I can normally.  I had a problem at first with the dangling strings getting all tangled, but I cut each string to about a meter rather than several meters so I can untangle them easier.  When one string is running low, I just tie another length of string onto the end.

I love those!! Can you put the catnip straight into the knitted thing, or does it have to be sewn into a little bag first? My cat rips all his toys to bits, so I'd be worried about constantly having to hoover up catnip.

The instructions use loose catnip, but I don't see why you couldn't add a little bag of catnip rather than loose.  You'd probably just want to poke little holes in the bag so the smell comes out.

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »
Yes! I'm going to make the wonton as soon as I get something other than red wool. ;D

The whale is my favourite cat toy so far--it was really fun to make. Yes, it's a red whale. :P

I saw a suggestion somewhere to tie the catnip in the toe of an old stocking.

I've finished J's hat, but it's a bit on the small side. The first one I made for myself was big enough for two. I can't win. *sigh*

• Snaps
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 09:49:30 PM »
I saw a suggestion somewhere to tie the catnip in the toe of an old stocking.

Excellent idea!  :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 10:38:33 PM »
I also buy "Vogue Knitting" magazine on a regular basis, and check out patters on various yarn manufacturers' websites.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab