Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are you knitting?  (Read 17854 times)

• Liked: 12
Re: What are you knitting?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2009, 05:34:08 PM »
OK, I'm knitting those bloomin' leg warmers -- which will go with the cowl scarf-thingie I already made.  Also have to finish the front of a sleeveless pullover-- the back is done.  And one side of a sweater vest but I don't think there's enough yarn  >:(  There's also a crochet shawl I started and somewhere -- if it hasn't been eaten by moths -- is an Aran cardigan.  Tons of odd balls of yarn but don't even remember what they were meant to knit up into.   The first thing I ever knit was a mitten and I never did the 2nd one because I'd proved to myself I could do it.  I'm really only any good at little things -- should make those kitty toys.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Odd Duck
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 06:25:27 PM »
I was home sick today, so I've started on a bag for myself. I'm using super-duper-chunky yarn and 8mm needles, which means it's going fast. :)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
I've finished J's hat, but it's a bit on the small side. The first one I made for myself was big enough for two. I can't win. *sigh*

In the too-big hat, if it's a beanie-type hat, try stringing some covered elastic cord through the very edge of the brim all the way around and pull it tight enough to cinch the hat. It might turn into a cute puffy beret.

Btw, that whale is really stinkin adorable.  It makes me wish I was a cat person!  Anyone know of any good toys to knit for dogs?  :)

OK, I'm knitting those bloomin' leg warmers -- which will go with the cowl scarf-thingie I already made.  Also have to finish the front of a sleeveless pullover-- the back is done.  And one side of a sweater vest but I don't think there's enough yarn  >:(  There's also a crochet shawl I started and somewhere -- if it hasn't been eaten by moths -- is an Aran cardigan.  Tons of odd balls of yarn but don't even remember what they were meant to knit up into.   The first thing I ever knit was a mitten and I never did the 2nd one because I'd proved to myself I could do it.  I'm really only any good at little things -- should make those kitty toys.

Haha!  I have tons of random unfinished projects lying around too.  I even left an almost-finished crochet afghan and something else I can't remember but I remember it was green back in Cali at my parents house!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »
Where does everyone get their ideas/patterns for projects? 

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

I saw this movie (Jim Carrey) and I fell in love with all the sweaters and immediately wanted to LEARN.  I crochet but never tried knitting. 

The local knitting group is Knit-wits.  I LOVE IT!

• Odd Duck
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
In the too-big hat, if it's a beanie-type hat, try stringing some covered elastic cord through the very edge of the brim all the way around and pull it tight enough to cinch the hat. It might turn into a cute puffy beret.
I took it out and redid it. Trust me, it was big enough for a cat bed:-[ ;D

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »
I took it out and redid it. Trust me, it was big enough for a cat bed:-[ ;D

By best friend through HS and Uni had TONS of really amazing curls and I tried to make her a hat because none of the ones in shops would fit over her hair.  It was about that size :)

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »
So I know that it's a little late to begin large winter projects but I realize (now that it so cold) that I really don't have enough winter clothes.  Especially considering DH and I walk 35 minutes to the train station in the morning, wait for a bus for 10 minutes and walk to our respective workplaces from the bus stop another 10 minutes.  Then we do the same thing backwards in the evening.  I definitely don't have enough warm clothes to keep me toasty every morning.  So I've had to put everything on hold so I can very quickly make myself a big thick cardigan to wear under my coat.  I'm thinking that over the summer I'll be making myself some knit leggings to wear under my trousers as well...

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »
Sometime this year, I want to knit two Dr Who scarves - exactly like Tom Baker used to wear.  Where can I find explicit instructions to do that (even down to the type of yarn, the colours, etc)?  Any ideas?
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Odd Duck
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:19 AM »
Sometime this year, I want to knit two Dr Who scarves - exactly like Tom Baker used to wear.  Where can I find explicit instructions to do that (even down to the type of yarn, the colours, etc)?  Any ideas?
As it so happens, I saw this just yesterday on Ravelry: http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/pattern1.php ;D

I ordered a pack of assorted colours of wool so I can knit, yes, more cat toys! I figure they'll make nice pressies. I'm trying to learn double-pointed needles, but I'm not convinced I'm coordinated enough. :-[

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »
As it so happens, I saw this just yesterday on Ravelry: http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/pattern1.php ;D

I just found that website as well!  (but not through Ravelry)  It appears there was more than one Dr Who/Tom Baker scarf - depending on the season of the series.  More decisions!  I don't even have knitting needles right now though.  :P  Probably a trip to the city market is in order here at some point.  My BIL's birthday is May 1st, or maybe I'll just make both Steve and BIL one for next Christmas.  Hmmm....

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:48 AM »
OMG - I didn't realise how LONG those scarves are!!!!  :o  That's a LOT of knitting!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 10:55:32 AM »
OMG - I didn't realise how LONG those scarves are!!!!  :o  That's a LOT of knitting!

But the joy of knitting scarves is that there's nothing tricky about them - no increasing, decreasing, etc. You can easily do it while watching television. And, yes, I know that real knittists can watch telly while knitting socks, jumpers, etc., but I'd never be able to!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »

DH wanted me to make one of those for him this winter.  I looked up the pattern and said I'd have it ready by next year ;D

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »

Two words - machine knitting.  :)

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
Also I'm wondering how much that much yarn is going to cost!  :o

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab