Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Some Help Please!  (Read 495 times)

• Liked: 0
Some Help Please!
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:09:41 AM »
OK, need some help my Girlfriend is moving to the UK and will have a UK citizenship from her Dad now enters my situation. I'm wanting to move down there, here's my info.

* Willing to get married to her
* I am a Canadian Citizen right now
* I had a great Grandma Born in Lancashire, UK. (Passed away)
* I am in College in Canada right now and would be looking to work and go to college in England
* I'm 23, and She's 18.

What are my options for getting citizenship?

Thanks everyone for helping me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:33:49 AM by Towelie »

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: Some Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:03:22 AM »
Can't get married until she is 21.

I don't know enough about ancestry visas, but I think Grandma is too far back.  Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

Your best bet is to try and get accepted to a UK University.  Also, because you are Canadian, you take advantage of the Youth Mobility Scheme. Take a look at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier5/youthmobilityscheme/

Basically, you need to be between 18-30, and you can prove you have £1,600 in maintenance funds.  (For other reading, the US is not currently participating in the YMS, so this does not apply to Americans I am afraid).
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »
Can't get married until she is 21.

The rules have just changed for marriage visas and as of 27th November 2008, both of you have to be over 21 to be able to get a fiance or a spousal visa :(.

I don't know enough about ancestry visas, but I think Grandma is too far back.  Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

You can qualify for an ancestry visa if:

- you are a Commonwealth citizen
- you are aged 17 or over
- you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below)
- you have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see note below)
- you are able to work and intend to do so in the UK, and
- you can support yourself and any dependants without needing any help from public funds

So, because you are Canadian, it looks like you may be able to apply for a visa based on the fact that your grandmother was born in the UK. Unfortunately, it doesn't get you immediate citizenship (as it would if you had a parent born in the UK), but it allows you to move to the UK on an ancestry visa (which lasts 5 years, after which you can get permanent residence and then apply for citizenship some time after that).

You could apply for the Youth Mobility scheme, which allows you to live in the UK for up to 2 years, but you can only work in the UK for a maximum of 12 months within the 2-year period. Unfortunately, it does not allow you to work towards citizenship (the time you spend in the UK on the visa doesn't count towards citizenship and you have to leave the UK after 2 years).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:21:51 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 31
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »
The OP said great grandma, that's too far back.
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »
The OP said great grandma, that's too far back.

Oops, sorry - I must have misread it as just grandma  :-[.

In that case I think your best bet would be the Youth Mobility Scheme, as kitsonk mentioned.

Sorry for the mix-up  :-[.

• Banned

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:11:23 AM »
YMS definitely the best idea.  You can then stay for two years, and you would be able to marry in the UK though not switch to being her dependent.

At the end of the two years, either the rules re: spousal visa ages will have changed, or you will only have to spend a few months apart before applying to re-enter as a spouse.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 12:20:55 AM »
Thanks for all the Help guys.

One, question. My GF Dad was saying worse come to worse he can just sponsor me. Any opinions on this?

• Banned

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 12:31:23 AM »
Yes.  He can't.  End of story.

Vicky

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 01:06:05 AM »
Sorry, I'm afraid your GF's Dad has misunderstood the whole "sponsorship" thing.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab