Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Visa Waiver/ESTA  (Read 1786 times)

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: US Visa Waiver/ESTA
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
If only they'd go that one step further tho, and make it full blown, so if for some reason entry is denied, it could be decided before the flight, not after the long haul.

That is exactly what they are doing.  For those that are likely to get bounced they won't be able to board the plane.  While it won't cover everyone, anyone who should head off to the US Consulate for a proper visa will be notified.  That is in part why they suggest filling it out at least 72 hours before hand.

From the ESTA Site:
It also means that travellers will know before they leave their country of origin / arrival in the US, that they should be OK for entry (but not guaranteed).
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
We did one for my husband thinking it would take processing time, but we had an immediate response on the site. I think there is something that may need to be printed off, or a number of reference or something, but we're glad we have it on hand as it doesn't expire too quickly.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

• My blog!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »
We did one for my husband thinking it would take processing time, but we had an immediate response on the site. I think there is something that may need to be printed off, or a number of reference or something, but we're glad we have it on hand as it doesn't expire too quickly.

I am pretty sure it is tied to the passport number you entered when filling it out.  It doesn't hurt to keep the reference number, which you can use to update the information, but if it is anything like Australia, they won't need it.  I did run into an issue where because I was travelling on an emergency passport, the number in the Australian ETA didn't match with my passport and they had to do a manual search based on my name and ETA number and they sorted everything out.  I was worried for a moment because it is a long way back from Australia to the UK!  ::)
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
My Blog

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »
I am not travelling to the US in the foreseeable future but, out of interest, I have just looked at the online form, to see what is involved.

Excuse me, what is "moral turpitude" as in :-

B) Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

Turpitude is not exactly a word in common usage in the English language!
John

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 10:47:48 PM »
Excuse me, what is "moral turpitude"

I think it is a phrase from old-fashioned legal language that has carried over into today, basically it means being a bad person. 

Here's the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »
I am not travelling to the US in the foreseeable future but, out of interest, I have just looked at the online form, to see what is involved.

Excuse me, what is "moral turpitude" as in :-

That's funny! I've seen this phrase on pretty much every employment or reference form I've ever filled out in the U.S. :)
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• My blog!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 10:56:48 PM »
Well, they don't ask those questions to get honest answers.  They ask those questions to catch you out, so they can more easily kick you out.  The "Al Capone" principle, if you can't get them for a real crime get them for a small one.
Transpondia
My Blog

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »
I'm laughing more at the "are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?"  By whose standards do we judge immoral activities?  I mean, if I'm coming for the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" experience, I might have to say yes and get banned, but I don't think that's what they mean.   ;)

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 02:18:43 AM »
I think it is a phrase from old-fashioned legal language that has carried over into today, basically it means being a bad person. 

Here's the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude

I'm laughing more at the "are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?"  By whose standards do we judge immoral activities?  I mean, if I'm coming for the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" experience, I might have to say yes and get banned, but I don't think that's what they mean.   ;)

In this case, just narrow it down to two questions...

1) Are you a bad guy (person)?
2) Do you plan to be a bad guy (person)?

It did make my husband and I laugh when I was reading the questions out loud for his. But it's the same on the visa apps when asked if you are involved in terrorist activity, or something like that. :-P
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 06:20:43 AM »

what i find humorous is the fact that they put it on the form, makes you think that they think if you WERE going to engage in these acts, that you would somehow slip up and put yes.

• My blog!
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 09:30:20 AM »
what i find humorous is the fact that they put it on the form, makes you think that they think if you WERE going to engage in these acts, that you would somehow slip up and put yes.

Again, it is to catch you out... If you were to answer "no" to being an immoral person, but you had ties to the mob, then they could more easily remove you from the country or deny you entry because you lied on an official government form.  If you got arrested for a "Stays in Vegas" incident, again, they could easily bounce you because you engaged in an immoral act.
Transpondia
My Blog

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 09:43:39 AM »
Again, it is to catch you out... If you were to answer "no" to being an immoral person, but you had ties to the mob, then they could more easily remove you from the country or deny you entry because you lied on an official government form.  If you got arrested for a "Stays in Vegas" incident, again, they could easily bounce you because you engaged in an immoral act.

Wow, that's devious...

That is in part why they suggest filling it out at least 72 hours before hand.

This bugs me. My family is coming to US to attend our wedding, leaving on the 14th. One of them is still waiting for her new passport, on emergency channel, but it should be ready on the 12th. So she'll be out of the time limit...
Besides, well, unless US embassies have improved IMMENSELY from the time I applied for my Visitor Visa to US two years ago, it does NOT take ONLY 72 hours to get a visa, if you are refused authorization! This means that actually if you are refused authorization you are more or less prevented to leave... But I guess they don't care, they would not give you a visa anyway, if you were flagged up following your answers...

Again, when they booked their flight they were not told about this with enough details to make it evident it was something on which to act urgently...

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
Regarding "moral turpitude" :-

That's funny! I've seen this phrase on pretty much every employment or reference form I've ever filled out in the U.S.

But here in the UK the expression is totally meaningless, to the general population.

Edit : I have just emailed the BBC's Breakfast programme and pointed out this change, and even suggested they do one of their "stop people in the street" surveys and ask if people know the meaning of "moral turpitude". Whether they take up this suggestion remains to be seen, but clearly this need to register online needs to be given much wider publicity.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:12:28 AM by JohnL »
John

• Banned

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
Besides, well, unless US embassies have improved IMMENSELY from the time I applied for my Visitor Visa to US two years ago, it does NOT take ONLY 72 hours to get a visa, if you are refused authorization! This means that actually if you are refused authorization you are more or less prevented to leave... But I guess they don't care, they would not give you a visa anyway, if you were flagged up following your answers...

But this isn't a visa, it is just a landing card in advance.  I would go as far as to suggest that completing this and not getting it bounced is still no guarantee of admission to the US, it is just so that they know who it trying to get in.

Again, when they booked their flight they were not told about this with enough details to make it evident it was something on which to act urgently...

This is strange.  I booked flights to the US in November, for travel next June, and I got an automated e-mail telling me I needed to do this. The e-mail came within the hour.

Vicky

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 11:27:04 AM »
Yes, it is a landing card in advance, but if you are refused, they say you should either give up your trip or apply for a visa. But as visas take longer, you end up having to give up your trip, at least for this time around.

And you are right, they did say clearly that getting this authorization is no guarantee of entry in the country, and also, by filling in that form you give up all sort of rights and more or less they can use that information you provide as they want, keep it forever, pass it around etc...

I meant that in the email they received there was not written what information they would have had to provide, and they didn't bother to go and see the instructions, as it said 72 hours in advance, they thought they were fine to go back to it later on. It's only when I was told she didn't yet had her passport (I didn't know she didn't) that I told them that was necessary in order to fill in this form and caused panic because it would not be ready in time. That was not a comment on a bad service from the airline, just a rant on how annoying this thing is... It was all a last minute thing, their decision to come to the wedding, they decided to come only 2 weeks ago, for a departure date of next week, and it has increased my stress level exponentially...

Actually, I am wondering, how about people who have to just jump on a plane and go, I am thinking in case of sudden illness or death of family members, or for work etc., what would they do, will they HAVE to postpone their flight 72 hours later, if it is the first time they fly under this new system? Especially in this first phase, when the necessity of this authorization is new. I can imagine that they can always say they had an interim period in which it was not compulsory... Sigh... I just wish things were simpler, it's an added thing to take care of when I already have so much to think about, with the wedding and all...

Sponsored Links