Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Visa Waiver/ESTA  (Read 1785 times)

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
Re: US Visa Waiver/ESTA
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »
Actually, I am wondering, how about people who have to just jump on a plane and go, I am thinking in case of sudden illness or death of family members, or for work etc., what would they do, will they HAVE to postpone their flight 72 hours later, if it is the first time they fly under this new system? Especially in this first phase, when the necessity of this authorization is new. I can imagine that they can always say they had an interim period in which it was not compulsory... Sigh... I just wish things were simpler, it's an added thing to take care of when I already have so much to think about, with the wedding and all...

No, the ESTA website makes it clear that they can handle immediate requests, but it is recommended to do at least 72 hours in advance because something might come up and if it doesn't get approved, you can't board the plane.  It does not apply to ground entries via Canada or Mexico (yet).
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 12:52:56 PM »
[giggle]
I just realised that as far as my relatives go, I have fallen victim of the common misconception that traveling from country to country nowadays is easy and simple and can be done on the spur of the moment... I should have known better, after applying for my own visa to US and dealing with my boyfriend's visitor visas and now EEA Family Permit! Really, we are spoiled, in EU...

Kitsonk, I can't find that, could you please tell me where you saw it? All I see is that it is mandatory to be done 72 hours before departure...

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »
But this isn't a visa, it is just a landing card in advance.  I would go as far as to suggest that completing this and not getting it bounced is still no guarantee of admission to the US, it is just so that they know who it trying to get in.

This is strange.  I booked flights to the US in November, for travel next June, and I got an automated e-mail telling me I needed to do this. The e-mail came within the hour.

Vicky
You'd think it would be automatic, but I booked through Ebookers in December, no e-mail or anything to to tell me I needed to do this. I printed my tickets/boarding pass from Continental, again nothing. Fortunately I knew it was required - I don't know what the consequences would have been if I didn't.

Sponsored Links