Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question on dual-citizenship eligibility.  (Read 760 times)

• Drinky Buddy
    • MySpace
  • Liked: 0
Question on dual-citizenship eligibility.
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:42:50 AM »
I was born in Germany and since my father was in the US Army at the time I had the opportunity for dual-citizenship. So, I know that is one way to get it.

But, is it as easy as applying in the UK for USA/UK citizenship, or are there certain things that make you eligible? If so, what are the eligibilities - or is this easy to locate answers to on Google, because I'm not finding much help.

Personally, I'd like to keep my US citizenship for family reasons if I'd have to move back.

Thank you for the read!
-this door is always open, no one has the guts to shut us out-

Re: Question on dual-citizenship eligibility.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:12:18 AM »

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
You can only qualify for automatic British (UK) citizenship if you were born in the UK or one or both of your parents were born in the UK. If this is not the case, then you will need to live in the UK for a few years and fulfill certain personal and residential requirements before you will be eligible.

As you were born in Germany, you may already be eligible for German citizenship and since Germany is part of the EEA (European Economic Area), as long as you have/can apply for a German passport, you are free to live and work in the UK (or any other country that is part of the EEA) without needing a visa, which cuts out a lot of the difficulties that non-EEA nationals have when trying to move to the UK.

As the link posted above mentions (under Eligibility), EEA nationals living in the UK can get permanent residence after 5 years of living in the UK and then 12 months after they have gained permanent residence, they can apply for UK citizenship (providing they meet the personal and residential requirements).

If you were to go down this route with the idea of eventually gaining UK citizenship, you would likely then hold triple citizenship (UK-US-German) as you are already a dual US-German national (providing this is allowed by the UK, US and Germany). There should be no need for you to give up your US citizenship at all.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:41:55 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:34:14 AM »
I'm not sure what you're asking.  Is it how to apply for German citizenship?  If so, here's a link to get you started.

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/03__FAQ/Citizenship/__FAQ__Citizenship.html
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Drinky Buddy
    • MySpace
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the link, WebyJ! Reading now!

As to ksand24's response - greatly needed info! Thank you. As the sound of changing countries sounds a bit overwhelming, this takes a little bit of the worry off the shoulders!

Thanks are given!
-this door is always open, no one has the guts to shut us out-

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
Thanks for the link, WebyJ! Reading now!

As to ksand24's response - greatly needed info! Thank you. As the sound of changing countries sounds a bit overwhelming, this takes a little bit of the worry off the shoulders!

Thanks are given!

:)

I would double-check about whether you can claim German citizenship and have a look at the link yankeeangel posted about getting it though, because I had a look at it and I'm not sure that you are actually eligible for German citizenship (unless you already have it).

The US Embassy in Germany website states that:

- If you were born in Germany to non-German parents before Feb 2nd 1990, you are not entitled to German citizenship

- If you were born in Germany to non-German parents between Feb 2nd 1990 and December 31st 1999, you are only entitled to German citizenship if you applied for it before January 1st 2000 (!)

- If you were born in Germany to non-German parents after Jan 1st 2000, you are entitled to citizenship only if one of your parents had lived in Germany for at least 8 years before your birth AND they held permanent residence (children born to US military personnel cannot claim German citizenship as US military personnel are unlikely to have lived in Germany for the required 8 years).

http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/dual_nationality.html

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab