Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Government Stupidity  (Read 1548 times)

• Liked: 163
Government Stupidity
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:28 PM »
The North Hertfordshire District Council repaved the parking area we share with all of our neighbors.  This is great, and I appreciate it, but as you can see from the picture, they left a strip of old pavement in front of the houses in the picture.

I was talking about the project with one of the neighbors, who had spoken to the foreman of the crew.  It turns out that strip is considered part of the road that leads to the parking area (you can see the road goes out of the picture on the right side), thus the road belongs to the UK Highways Agency, therefore the NHDC is not responsible for repaving it.

Why couldn't the NHDC call up the Highways Agency and say, "Hey, we're about to repave some tarmac that is directly adjacent to some of your tarmac.  Rather than leave 5 feet of old tarmac, how about if you pay us and we'll do the whole thing?"

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
Re: Government Stupidity
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:53:51 PM »
Why couldn't the NHDC call up the Highways Agency and say, "Hey, we're about to repave some tarmac that is directly adjacent to some of your tarmac.  Rather than leave 5 feet of old tarmac, how about if you pay us and we'll do the whole thing?"

Because that would be far too sensible and logical for the people who run our government departments these days.   

I'm reminded of a story from a few years ago on a rare occasion when western Cornwall got some snow.  A resident questioned why there was one team of workers shoveling snow from the road and piling it along the sidewalk while another team was following a few hundred yards behind and shoveling the snow from the sidewalk onto the edge of the road.

The answer?  One team worked for the Highways Agency and was charged with clearing the road.  The other team worked for the county or district and had been told to clear the footpaths.    ::)

Must be an example of that "joined up government" that we were promised!
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
Hehehe!  I had you in mind when I posted that, Paul.  I spoke with another one of the neighbors, and she said that's the first time the council has paved the parking area in the 30 years she's been living here, so I suppose we ought to be happy it was done at all.   :)

I liked the story about the snow shovelling.  Inter-agency cooperation, or the lack thereof, is something best not contemplated.  At least while sober.  :)

Carl

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:31:21 PM »
is something best not contemplated.  At least while sober.

That could actually explain a lot of local council decisions!
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

Sponsored Links