Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Borders, Immigration and Citizenship Bill  (Read 14944 times)

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Borders, Immigration and Citizenship Bill
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2009, 11:27:26 PM »
A month ago they were on recess.  They have ony been back a little over a week and are playing catch up.

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2009, 01:03:49 PM »
I'm REALLY sorry if this has been mentioned, but I've been in a jetlag/codeine/quinine-based-antibiotic/inauguration haze for a while now....

I just checked the 'Bills and Legislation' page and noticed that the second reading date has been changed to 11 February (from 26 January).

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
I just checked the 'Bills and Legislation' page and noticed that the second reading date has been changed to 11 February (from 26 January).

;D

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05:56 PM »
This is good then, right?  ;)

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2009, 01:20:20 PM »
yes ma'am.  Some breathing room!

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2009, 01:34:46 PM »
Yay!
doing laundry

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
Wow, you people are on the BALL. *tip of the cap*

I wish I was able to give more input but I've only just started wading through the immigration process. Thank you to everyone who's really running with this!
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2009, 01:47:41 PM »
I only noticed it by chance, having bookmarked the page for easy reference.  I was all set to write a nasty blog entry starting 'and the HO is not only introducing this mean and nasty bill but they're only giving ONE WEEK for...um, that's a different date than I remember Vicky screaming in capital letters about....'  :)

(Also, can I revert to being about six years old?  The bill is being introduced by Lord West of Spithead.  *giggles*)

• Banned

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
Excellent. 

Vicky

« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »
Speakers at the 2nd reading. 

Wednesday, 11 February 2009

Debate: Borders. Citizenship and Immigration Bill [HL]- Second Reading.

Speakers, in alphabetical order:
       â€¢  Bp Lincoln 
       â€¢  L West of Spithead (Minister) 
       â€¢  L Avebury 
       â€¢  V Bridgeman 
5.    •  B Falkner of Margravine 
       â€¢  L Griffiths of Burry Port 
       â€¢  B Hanham 
       â€¢  L Hylton 
       â€¢  L Lea of Crondall 
10. •  L Marlesford 
       â€¢  B Miller of Chilthorne Domer 
       â€¢  L Ramsbotham 
       â€¢  L Roberts of Llandudno 
       â€¢  E Sandwich 

Extract from...
http://www.lordswhips.org.uk/display/templatedisplay3.asp?sectionid=5

« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »
Is there anything for us to do at this point?

Really appreciate your keeping us up to date, Garry.

• My blog!
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »
Is there anything for us to do at this point?

You can write your MP and report back here which MP you wrote to and any responses, but I am afraid it is mostly to make you feel better.  One thing to do is keep your eyes and ears open about media coverage.

We are taking our fight directly to the Government this week, and everyone's feedback that helped come up with our talking point document is invaluable.  We may need to come back and get some specific stories, especially if we are given some sort of audience.

The problem, while a lot of our concerns are valid, there are other parties fighting for more attention then us with the larger immigration community.  At the end of the day, we are looked at as people who are a lot better off then others, which is to a certain point true.  One of the challenges is that what we are fighting for actually benefits pretty much every immigrant in the UK.  But what grabs the attention of the immigration community are refugees and children.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2009, 09:59:36 AM »
My father-in-law wrote his MP, who happens to be David Cameron (Witney) and my husband wrote ours (Frank Dobson, Holborn and St Pancras). We haven't heard back from either yet, although we sent letters last week.

I'm eligible for ILR in September 2009. I really just wanted to get through that process! Why do they keep changing the rules?

Jennifer

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »
Just a note to say that the Parliamentary webpage for the Bill has been updated to say that Committee Stage begins 25 Feb.  No news yet on who the Committee members are.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
Wanted to update.  I wrote to some Lords that I know are active on immigration policy, some of which are going to be participating in the 2nd reading debate.  I've received acknowledgment from some, but a substantial reply came today from the Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer.  I'm quoting substantial bits:

...In particular, I agree that the proposal for "qualifying activities" to shortern the path to citizenship is both invasive and impractical. People contribute to society in so many different ways that they could never be captured in an arbitrary list drawn up in Whitehall and no one wants to see unwilling volunteers appearing just so that they can jump through bureaucratic hoops.

The Liberal Democrats recognise that immigration must be managed and that communities must be integrated.  But we believe in helping communities to achieve their own integration, by building public services and reducing sgregation in schools, for example, not forcing the sort of false integration proposed in Clause 39.

Your personal observations about the timescale for citizenship and the inexplicable divide between economic and family paths also raise important points, which I will certainly take up in the House.

Certainty and honesty are vital in immigration policy for both hosts and new arrivals. For the UK, it is important that we know how many people are coming and going and where public services might come under strain. For prospective citizens, I agree that moving the goalposts for citizenship fosters doubt and alienation, completely contradicting the work toward integration.

Again, thank you for your thoughts on the Bill. I will be introducing amendments in the Lords that I hope will help to address your worries and the legitimate concerns of immigrants and those of us who value an open and diverse society in this country.

Don't know if she was merely placating me, but it sounds like something to be optimistic about!
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab