Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Borders, Immigration and Citizenship Bill  (Read 14888 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Borders, Immigration and Citizenship Bill
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2009, 07:15:57 PM »
I dunno, I've seen plenty of 'placating' responses from elected officials, and that doesn't read like one.  Baroness Miller seems refreshingly aware of the difference between true integration and throwing sops to the core Daily Mail readership.  Well done for writing to her, and let's hope she's as convincing in the House as she sounds here!

« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2009, 07:50:52 PM »
Well done, Aless.  Hat's off to you for following up on this!

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2009, 10:05:49 AM »
Yeah, well I did strategically pick out the Lib Dems among Lords that took a shine to immigration issues - in my experience, they're the most receptive/sympathetic to the sort of issues I'm concerned about.  Makes me wish I lived in a different constituency! ::)

For the record, I basically took kitsonk's lovely concerns doc + letter and modified them for my personal concerns.  I had an acknowledgment back from Lord Hylton, but no one else has written yet - but I only posted them a week ago!  I'll put any more substantial replies I receive on here.

I know the Lords aren't exactly the prime example of democracy, but I was totally sick of getting no where in the Commons.  The Lords still have amendments & vetoing power, so that's where my strategy lies this time!  Hopefully some of the debating in there can get picked up by fellow party members and carry over to the Commons - if I'm not being TOO idealistic ;D.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2009, 12:04:29 PM »
Yeah, well I did strategically pick out the Lib Dems among Lords that took a shine to immigration issues - in my experience, they're the most receptive/sympathetic to the sort of issues I'm concerned about.  Makes me wish I lived in a different constituency! ::)

For the record, I basically took kitsonk's lovely concerns doc + letter and modified them for my personal concerns.  I had an acknowledgment back from Lord Hylton, but no one else has written yet - but I only posted them a week ago!  I'll put any more substantial replies I receive on here.

I know the Lords aren't exactly the prime example of democracy, but I was totally sick of getting no where in the Commons.  The Lords still have amendments & vetoing power, so that's where my strategy lies this time!  Hopefully some of the debating in there can get picked up by fellow party members and carry over to the Commons - if I'm not being TOO idealistic ;D.

Well done you!  I had a similar idea, but have been swamped.  I'm so glad you were able to do this in your spare time!  Thank you so much!!!!  :)

« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
Wow Aless! Well done!! :) I'm impressed.
doing laundry

« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2009, 09:07:04 AM »
For those of you who haven't marked your diaries* the second reading is tomorrow.

If you too want to play How A Bill Becomes A Law at home, this page will help you keep track:
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2008-09/borderscitizenshipandimmigration.html

*Yes, I really did.

« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2009, 03:10:53 PM »
There's 4 new briefings posted down in the advocacy area.  That's in addition to UKY's briefing, which was introduced last week.

• Home for good!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2009, 07:59:20 PM »
For those of you who haven't marked your diaries* the second reading is tomorrow.

If you too want to play How A Bill Becomes A Law at home, this page will help you keep track:
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2008-09/borderscitizenshipandimmigration.html

*Yes, I really did.

Is there a link to be able to watch it? 
13 Aug 08 Fiance Visa
17 Oct 08 married
06 May 09 FLR
15 Mar 2010 filed for ILR based on bereaved partner
02 Jul 2010 Received ILR!!!!!

Sponsored Links