Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Borders, Immigration and Citizenship Bill  (Read 14943 times)

• Dar
  • Geek of the medieval persuasion

• Liked: 0
Re: Borders, Immigration and Citizenship Bill
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:59 PM »
That's a conservative guess, Dec 2010 at the very latest.  Unless we can trip them up.

To your first question, the numbers are toilet.  They always are.  In this case, the numbers presented are greasing the skids for a big-time fee increase.

Let's trip them up!  ;D
I am the architect of my destiny.

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2009, 11:49:10 PM »
Workin' on it...

Drop down to the advocacy area and be sure all your questions/answers/objections are represented.

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »
Garry,

When I made an NCS appointment last week, the woman I spoke to said there would definitely be a fee increase on April 1.  I forgot to ask what the new fee would be, and I couldn't find any mention of it scanning the summary document.  Have you seen a number at all?

I need to call them back anyway, so if I find out the new fee, I'll post it.

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
I know you guys have said that an MP campaign is pretty useless (and I'm inclined to agree), but what about the Lords?  Especially some who are particularly interested in asylum seekers and ECHR regs...I'd love to send a letter to a couple of choice Lords (in the prayer that they raise some amendments to the Bill), but can garry/kitson give some suggestions of who are the best ones for these issues?

Also, once it hits Committee in the Lords, could it be worth firing off some letters to Committee members? (and how do we find out who they are?)
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2009, 02:34:04 PM »
but can garry/kitson give some suggestions of who are the best ones for these issues?

I am starting to come around to the notion that the most effective thing to do at this point is to go straight to the policy unit. 

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2009, 02:47:14 PM »
I am starting to come around to the notion that the most effective thing to do at this point is to go straight to the policy unit. 

And I am of the notion to follow Garry's suggestions.  I am still learning the right people to talk to.  Right now I am a 5yo at this Advocacy stuff, but a noisy and loud 5yo.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 30
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »
The impact assessment for earned citizenship goes into more details (well, a wee bit more) about the requirements about active citizenship (1 to 2 hours a month) and the limitation on benefits. It's nice to see that they are anticipating a spike in citizenship applications from those currently on ILR (which includes me) before the new plan is in place.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/managingourborders/border-cit-imm-bill/supporting-documents/iaofearnedcitizenship?view=Binary

I notice that there are three columns here for the number of hours in active citizenship per year that a migrant will volunteer.  The columns are as follows:

Minimum       Central Assumption       Maximum
         1                   12                             24

So this is puzzling.  Can people really only do one hour?  And what happens if someone does more than the maximum?  Would this mean that immigrants should *not* be doing more than 24 hours of voluntary work per year?  If you do 25 hours, you're in violation?

• Liked: 1
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2009, 10:01:45 PM »
I was concerned enough about this new bill this weekend to send an email to my MP.  I was amazed that this evening i've had a response from him stating that he would like to forward on my email to other ministers.

Basically my concerns are about those of us who follow all the rules, yet constantly have the goalposts moved.

I came to the UK in Aug 2008 on a HSMP visa and changed to a spousal visa and obtained FLR (m) in May 2008.  At that time i was under the understanding that in May 2010 I will be eligible for ILF (M) and citizenship.

But with this new bill, it looks like not only will I not be eligible for citizenship in 2010 as I was hoping but that I'll be subject to a lot more fees along the way.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but in theory as an immigrant I could technically be denied access to NHS despite paying NI.

In the end I will do what needs to be done in order to stay in England and eventually become a citizen, but it's just tremendously frustrating to not know year to year when that may all happen or even how much it will cost me.

• My blog!
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2009, 10:43:35 PM »
Correct me if i'm wrong, but in theory as an immigrant I could technically be denied access to NHS despite paying NI.

UKBA and the Home Office have no control over this.  There was a wild statement that other parts of the Government were considering this, but that likely was a minister speaking out of turn and more a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Who is your MP for the record?
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2009, 04:34:07 AM »
I notice that there are three columns here for the number of hours in active citizenship per year that a migrant will volunteer.  The columns are as follows:

Minimum       Central Assumption       Maximum
         1                   12                             24

So this is puzzling.  Can people really only do one hour?  And what happens if someone does more than the maximum?  Would this mean that immigrants should *not* be doing more than 24 hours of voluntary work per year?  If you do 25 hours, you're in violation?

I don't think those are maximum allowed hours, but rather an assumption of the maximum likely hours so that they can show that immigrants cost heaps of money, even if they do volunteer.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2009, 07:41:53 AM »
I wrote my MP and got no response at all. Not even an acknowledgment.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• Banned

« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
When did you write?

Vicky

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2009, 10:41:42 AM »
I wrote my MP and got no response at all. Not even an acknowledgment.

And who?

• Liked: 1
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »
Garry,

My MP is Paul Truswell from Pudsey, near Leeds.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2009, 10:22:37 PM »
I wrote through -Write to Them -about a month ago? It was when you had asked us to support the call for a prayer in Parliament.
His name is Patrick Hall. I was surprised because he had helped us before on an issue with VAT on out houseboat.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

Sponsored Links