Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Parking in shared drive  (Read 1987 times)

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Parking in shared drive
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:06:10 PM »
We moved into our new home.  We are in a semi-detached with a shared drive between two houses.  We have a place to park in front of our house and our next door neighbors have a garden instead.  I guess they've always been able to park in the space between the two houses, but it's a SHARED drive...and they are not exactly the most friendly people - wouldn't even stop to say 'hi' when we saw one of them before we moved in.  We're trying to figure out a way to tell them that they need to NOT park there, as I think their old neighbors (renters) didn't care.  But we want to always have access to the back of the house.  They tend to park only in the evening after 7pm and leave by 7am, but what if I want to move the trash?  What if I wanted to move something to the back garden?  What happens in the summer when we have a party?  Do people have to go through the house?  While it's not a huge deal, we also feel that as it's a shared access, they ought not to be blocking it up and ought to park out front (as they choose to have a garden instead).

How can we bring this up without sounding entirely rude or obnoxious?

Re: Parking in shared drive
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »
Are you renting - if so I would just have the landlord send a letter to them.

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 02:31:10 PM »
If its shared and not specifically part of your property..then I think you may have a job convincing them. 
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »
We own.  And it's a shared drive so we both technically own part of the property but have to allow shared access to the back through the drive...which is why they ought not be parking there.  I guess we'll just have to have a sit down with them and hash it out.  I just don't want to have neighbors who hate me from the beginning.

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
We own.  And it's a shared drive so we both technically own part of the property but have to allow shared access to the back through the drive...which is why they ought not be parking there.  I guess we'll just have to have a sit down with them and hash it out.  I just don't want to have neighbors who hate me from the beginning.

Good luck! Hopefully they are nice people and will understand.
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »
It's a pain to have to sort something like this out, but the sooner you do it- the better. Unfortunately there is no easy way. I think you know that though :). Good Luck!

• Liked: 36
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 07:59:29 PM »
Hiya OneTiger!

I'd suggest 'gentle practical persuasion' ! every time you see their car there, make sure you need to get your car down there to move something in or out of the garage or garden. That will of course require you to very politley and friendly'ly to knock on their door to ask them to move their car whilst you complete your task.

With the frequency of your visits, maybe they'll finally think oh it's best we park outside the shared drive to allow them access :)

If that doesn't work you can try the 'Indian method' !  get yer better half to pop around with a big bottle of Bacardi/Whiskey/Vodka - have a party and get them wasted and mention they should sort out the parking so you can have access! quickly followed by a hearty backslap ! ;)

if that doesn't work - say it to them whilst sober!

Cheers! DtM! West London & Slough UK!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »
We have kind of a common parking area for 4 houses where we live.  We have a carport but the other houses just park in the common area.  One person always parks so it is hard for me to get in and out of the carport.  I have to have like three tries to get it in. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab