Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: "Here's your sign!" Idiots and wrong numbers  (Read 6353 times)

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
Re: "Here's your sign!" Idiots and wrong numbers
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 07:42:30 PM »
Our home number where I grew up was (no joke) 443-4431.  We'd get calls ALL the time for places who's number was 443-1xxx because people didn't remember they already dialed the 443. 

My US mobile phone number has been my number since 1999.  All of a sudden a few years ago I started getting phone calls and text messages for some random girl...even got a text inviting me to a party.  My friend replied and asked for the address, though I can't remember if she went or not.  I finally yelled at one of the callers when my phone went off at 3AM and the first words after I said a very sleepy "hullo?" were "where you at b*tch?"

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
I can just imagine what you yelled at him.  ;D

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »
Charming!    I can't imagine even the person he thought he was calling wanting to respond favorably to such a "polite" invitation.   :P

Our home number where I grew up was (no joke) 443-4431.  We'd get calls ALL the time for places who's number was 443-1xxx because people didn't remember they already dialed the 443.

This sort of problem has provided one of the criteria set for choosing new area codes over the last few years (since area codes have been able to have a middle digit other than 0 or 1, from the mid 1990s onward).   

When an area is split, all attempts are made to select a new area code which does not correspond with an exchange prefix within the existing area.  For example, when Nevada  - originally 702 for the entire state - was split about 10 years ago, the new area code 775 was chosen in part because there were no 775-xxxx numbers within the state, so the split would not have resulted in the awkward combination 775-775-xxxx which could be subject to the same sort of misdialing as your old number.  Also, it would not result in any 702-775-xxxx numbers which could be a little confusing to those people just getting used to the new 775 area code.   The numbering of adjoining areas is also taken into consideration to avoid similar opportunities for mixups as much as possible.

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 04:22:47 PM »
Charming!    I can't imagine even the person he thought he was calling wanting to respond favorably to such a "polite" invitation.   :P

This sort of problem has provided one of the criteria set for choosing new area codes over the last few years (since area codes have been able to have a middle digit other than 0 or 1, from the mid 1990s onward).   

The area code 443 was added to the Baltimore area, but it was long after I moved and no longer had that phone number.

heh, yeah, I really wasn't happy about the phone call at 3am.  I generally will answer if my phone wakes me because I assume it is an emergency and someone is trying to reach me.  oi.

Oh, and I forgot this one -  My skype number is a Michigan number (I used to live in MI but hadn't wanted to change my mobile, so I bought a skype number).  I don't know why, but some little old lady kept calling me and asking for Ida...no matter how many times I told her she was calling a wrong number, was calling a computer, etc....didn't matter. One time I came home to 5 voicemails all from this woman wanting Ida.  She finally stopped calling when she called me while I've been in the UK. I answered and told her she was calling a foreign country.  Worked like a charm.

Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »
I'll bet she thought she was being charged for calling a foreign country, too. At her age, she probably remembers when that cost a king's ransom and freaked out.  ;)

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 05:47:21 PM »
We use Lingo and have a local London number too.  I have gotten a couple of fun calls at 3:30 am from some one speaking very quickly and very Irately that they have not been picked up yet, and that they would see that the boss knew it was me that did not pick them up for work and make sure I was fired for it. 
I had enough time to wake up a little and start ranting back to them that if they think they can get me fired I will see them when they get to work since I was already there telling the boss what a prat they were and that the boss and I were already talking about my promotion to his postion.
thought it was funny, had a good time with him.

For the people who call me asking for good and services over and over, I usually let them know I will be around their house in 2 hours.  Or I find out what town they live in and set up an appointment at least 20 miles away.
Just have a little fun with the people.  :P
Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 05:55:03 PM »
I'll bet she thought she was being charged for calling a foreign country, too. At her age, she probably remembers when that cost a king's ransom and freaked out.  ;)

That's what I was counting on! :D

• Banned

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »
The area code 443 was added to the Baltimore area, but it was long after I moved and no longer had that phone number.

443 has the added complication of being an overlay area code rather than a split, so full 10-digit dialing is needed within 410/443 anyway, which makes for a slightly different approach.   It looks as though there is now a 410-443 exchange, but so far they've not been forced to assign 443-410 (or 443-301 or 443-240).

From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »
443 has the added complication of being an overlay area code rather than a split, so full 10-digit dialing is needed within 410/443 anyway, which makes for a slightly different approach.   It looks as though there is now a 410-443 exchange, but so far they've not been forced to assign 443-410 (or 443-301 or 443-240).

I *think* 443 was first just used for mobiles.

I remember the 717/570 split in PA.  I had just started going to college in the area that got the area code changed to 570 and it was a mess for my family to try to call me!

• Banned

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »

Could be.  I don't have the details of the introduction of the 443 NPA to hand, but there have been several new overlay codes in recent years which started out that way.  917 in New York City comes to mind as an example, used originally just for cellular phones, pagers, etc.

Sometimes there can be quite heated debates over whether a new area code should be introduced as a split or an overlay, with people on both sides being adamant that their preferred option is the only sensible one.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 10:51:01 AM »
I finally yelled at one of the callers when my phone went off at 3AM and the first words after I said a very sleepy "hullo?" were "where you at b*tch?"

LOL... sounds like something some of my friends would do...  :P Besides, I always call my b*tches at 3 am...  ;)

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 04:53:46 PM »

It's not. At my old job in MD our numbers were all 443.

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 05:06:49 AM »
Speaking of people who have the wrong number, this is a txt converation I had tonight:

Random number: Hey are you ever going to talk to me?

Me: Who is this?
(thinking it's an exboyfriend or exfriend or someone else I'd rather not talk to)

Random number: Do you really not know who this is?

Me: Nope

Random number: Scott, this is charity

Me: I'm sorry. This isn't scott - you've got the wrong number

Random number: Well who is this?

Me: You are texting me and expecting me to tell you who I am? I don't know anyone named charity and I can promise you there are no guys here

Random number: Whatever you say.

Random number: Well if this isn't scott, why can't you say who you are?

Me: Why should I?

Random number:Well if this really isnt Scott then you would have no problem saying who this is.

Me: Ok, but I'm not scott. But if you really want me to be scott, I can pretend.

Random number: Whatever. Why do you want to be somebody you arent?

Me: I'm trying to politely tell you that you've got the wrong number, but you won't believe me.

(I then get a phone call from a restricted number...hmmmm. I answer, no one is on the line)

Me: (texing again) See, I told you I'm not Scott.

Random Number: Who says that your aren't his girlfriend txting for him?

Me: I say I'm not his girlfriend texting for him.

Random Number: Then who are you and how long have you had this number?

Me: For at least two years.

Random Number: And you are lieing 'cause I just talked to scott at this number in december and January

Me: U got the wrong number.

Random Number: Whatever, you just keep lieing to yourself.

Me: How do you know this scott anyways? Just curious because you seem desperate to talk to him.

Random Number: Well if you have to know i went to school with him and we are good friends

Me: U should double check the number with someone else because this isn't it.

::) ::) ::) ::)

:P
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

• Banned

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »
Speaking of people who have the wrong number, this is a txt converation I had tonight:

Boy, I think you have more patience to send all those text messages back for a wrong number than most would have!
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

• London Pet Butler
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
Sounds like the texter is in denial. Obviously, Scott didn't think enough of him/her to give out his new number.  :P

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab