Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: TV chefs and ridiculous demands for ingredients  (Read 4491 times)

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: TV chefs and ridiculous demands for ingredients
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 08:28:18 AM »
Not as much as I probably should.

Use it more!! But if you still find yourself with extra nutmegs floating around, I'd happily take them off your hands! How does customs feel about nutmeg?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »
Use it more!! But if you still find yourself with extra nutmegs floating around, I'd happily take them off your hands! How does customs feel about nutmeg?

I hadn't thought about customs.  Hmm.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 03:20:57 AM »
OK...this has nothing to do with chefs but it is the exact same concept.

I used to watch this woodworking show called the "New Yankee Workshop."  I'm not in to woodworking and the most I have ever made was a pig shaped cutting board in 9th grade.  However, I watched because this guy was ludicrous.

For the slightest project he had easily over $200,000 in industrial equipment supplied by various sponsors and manufacturers.  If he needed a dowel, he would make one on his 8 foot tall dowel machine.  I'm surprised he didn't smelt his own nails at his private forge. 

Yet...I was oddly glued to the show as you all might be to some of the chefs.  Maybe it is somehow preplanned, psychological manipulation to keep you plugged in through anger and annoyance.  (i.e.  that jerk actually expects us to have fresh cilantro from Costa Rica?  I'm going to watch next week to see what this jack*ss will demand next!)
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. ~ Teddy Roosevelt

Tier 1 granted ~ 28/3/09

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »

Plus.. whats all this dinner party stuff about? Do people still have dinner parties?

I do!  Come on over to Newcastle, if you're ever around. Usually these recipes are for showing off, and with a competitive personality like mine, that's what I like to do.  However, I don't usually serve confit of duck breast with morello cherry shiraz reduction. Well, not too often, that is.  ;) 

I am actually a very excellent cook myself, so I do know how to cook well without a recipe and even if I do find something I like by Gordon or others, I know I can substitute 'bok choy' with say ordinary spinach. Much cheaper and perhaps even tastier.  I don't always buy the exotic ingredients either. Sometimes, you only need one or two 'showcase' ingredients to make a splash. Usually people only want one wild dish, and the rest of the meal to be simple.  For example, if I make a traditional paella for dinner, I might just add a light salad and only do a simple vanilla ice cream for dessert, to keep the meal experience focused on the paella. Just my £0.02

HSMP Granted 19 June 07
Expat to London 16 Aug 07
Move to Newcastle upon Tyne 21 April 08
FLR Granted under new Tier 1 visa 19 June 09

• Liked: 2
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »
There are a number of recipe websites that will let you type in ingredients and suggest recipes.  I do this when I run out of ideas.

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 07:53:20 PM »
There are a number of recipe websites that will let you type in ingredients and suggest recipes.  I do this when I run out of ideas.

Mariposa, do you know of any of those sites that you can paste here?   ;D
Many thanks!
HSMP Granted 19 June 07
Expat to London 16 Aug 07
Move to Newcastle upon Tyne 21 April 08
FLR Granted under new Tier 1 visa 19 June 09

• Liked: 2
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 05:21:35 AM »
Mariposa, do you know of any of those sites that you can paste here?   ;D
Many thanks!
Here they are, including the Betty Crocker website mentioned above:
http://allrecipes.com/
http://www.recipezaar.com/
http://www.bettycrocker.com/
http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/Pages/home.aspx
http://www.recipetips.com/

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »
I love allrecipes and Betty Crocker is good as well.  Although I use BC for recipes that I already know they have, like fresh peach cobbler.  Yum!

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »
I love allrecipes and Betty Crocker is good as well.  Although I use BC for recipes that I already know they have, like fresh peach cobbler.  Yum!

I used Betty Crocker yesterday!  I wanted something with bananas, vegetable oil and chocolate chips - got an excellent cake recipe. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab