Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Has the UK Really Gotten Like This????  (Read 7212 times)

Re: Has the UK Really Gotten Like This????
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 08:32:37 PM »
Why do all the Jewish people keep all the good food secret.
I want a jewish mother :(

Pierogies are Polish.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 08:34:01 PM »

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »

Jim! Thats almost as bad as one of my accidental posts! lol!!

I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 09:07:41 PM »

Eat your chicken soup already!

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »

There has always been immigration to the UK.  This is an excellent book which outlines the history.

Since this thread is all over the place, thought I'd jump in to second Vicky's suggestion.  The book mentioned in the link above, 'Bloody Foreigners', is EXCELLENT!  Really opened my eyes to a different part of the history of the British Isles - fascinating read!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
Since this thread is all over the place[...].

That seems so very UKY though.  Of course a thread on xenophobia will turn into a discussion of Polish dumplings.  That's what I love about this place!  It has irrepressible spirit. ;D

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 10:09:07 PM »
Well, it just seemed we beat the xenophobia topic to death before. Then dug it up and beat it some more, while dumplings just do not get the attention they deserve.

Consider this a bit of righting of the universe. ;D

BTW, I'm surprised that the wikipedia article doesn't reference vareniki. They are the Russian pierogi equivalent but have thinner skins. They also come with a variety of stuffings sweet and savoury. My favorites are cherry or farmer's cheese.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 10:21:30 PM »

BTW, I'm surprised that the wikipedia article doesn't reference vareniki. They are the Russian pierogi equivalent but have thinner skins. They also come with a variety of stuffings sweet and savoury. My favorites are cherry or farmer's cheese.

Those sound good as well!

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
Those sound good as well!

I'm passing this along because you're a great cook and will surely do them justice. ;D

http://www.cookingdebauchery.com/cooking_debauchery/2007/02/cherry_vareniki.html

Believe it or not, I've seen morello cherries both in Sainsbury's and Tescos.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 10:49:40 PM »
Oh, I'm so making those next weekend!!  Thanks  :-*

• Liked: 1
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 04:41:30 AM »

A polish dumpling. Heaven on earth. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierogi

Thanks, Mort! I could go for a few of these! Love me some dumplings as long as they're veggie! ;)
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

• Banned

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 06:37:19 AM »
Well, it just seemed we beat the xenophobia topic to death before.

You make that sound like it is a bad thing. I think all contries should monitor their immigrant populations, so it does not get out of hand. I mean for instance if the UK were to open the doors to 500,000 Chinese, then it would be UK by name (maybe), but the culture, language, and basically everything else would be different. This is not logical to let such a thing happen, and it is pretty ridiculous for a British citizen to state that "it wouldn't bother them." Because if it doesn't bother you, it doesn't mean that it doesn't bother everyone else, and if one is so inclined to be surrounded by a different culture, language, and etc.. then just go to another country, that would solve that problem.

That being said (as extreme as an example as that was) i don't think there should be no immigrantion (obviously). i just think it should be regulated heavily, as to not impact the countries culture, language, and etc.. in a negative way. This also included financial burdons immigrantion may cause.

I just think that just letting immigrants come in a country without fully thinking of the consequences puts the citizens of that country at risk and unfairly puts the immigrant at risk. Look at the examples you just gave me about the Polish people that immigrated. What happen to them?  they are forced to go back home, because of a broken immigrantion policy. Do you think it is easy to first leave your country, then make a life in another country, and then leave that country to go back to your original country?  the answer is no.  Why do that to people in the first place? it is wrong.

Immigrantion for the sake of immigration is a disaster policy for a country to have, which most "first world" contries have had for at least the past decade.

Lastly, yes i think it does matter that the majority of the population of a country that your moving to is the majority in that country. I want to move their for the native culture, language, and etc.. And i believe as long i respect their culture, language, and etc.. without trying to change anything that i should feel needs changing (it is not my place as a non native to tell native population to change their ways) then i believe proper immigrantion could work.

I don't want to turn this into a immigration VS non-immigrantion thread. i was just wondering if those things i was hearing had validity. Apparently, from what i can draw up from the responses (which i appreciate, thanks) it is, how a fellow member put it, "rubbish." ;D

Well it noon, I guess it's time for tea and polish dumplings, oh i mean scones.  Sorry i had to do it :P

• Liked: 3
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 08:37:32 AM »
I just think that just letting immigrants come in a country without fully thinking of the consequences puts the citizens of that country at risk and unfairly puts the immigrant at risk. Look at the examples you just gave me about the Polish people that immigrated. What happen to them?  they are forced to go back home, because of a broken immigrantion policy. Do you think it is easy to first leave your country, then make a life in another country, and then leave that country to go back to your original country?  the answer is no.  Why do that to people in the first place? it is wrong.

The Poles aren't leaving because of a broken immigration policy. They're leaving because the economy is in the tank and they can't find jobs. The same thing is happening in Ireland. They chose to emigrate to the UK and Ireland because the economy and jobs were so prosperous. Many of them were just here working and sending money back home to family.

I think you're getting the situation with the Poles in the UK mixed up with the Mexicans in the US. It's a totally different situation entirely.

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »
I'm getting flashbacks of Morrissey's NME interview....

I want to move their for the native culture, language, and etc

Well, English is derived from German and England has had a long line of German or part-German monarchs (Queen Victoria was Hanovarian, for instance, Prince Phillip is from the house of House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg). The quintessential British drink is tea, from either India or China. The nation's favorite dish is curry. What do you mean by native culture? Anglo? Because the Angles were Germanic. As were the Saxons. The Normans were French. I mean, I know I'm getting kind of extreme here, but my point is that things that you think of being 'native' to Britian often have foreign origins.
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
Quote from: S2B EX-PAT
I think all contries should monitor their immigrant populations, so it does not get out of hand. I mean for instance if the UK were to open the doors to 500,000 Chinese, then it would be UK by name (maybe), but the culture, language, and basically everything else would be different.

Puh-leez!  ::) In any case, 500,000 "Chinese" would be considerably less than 1% of the population, and wouldn't make any difference. Where do you get these, frankly, racist ideas from?

There are about 250,000 Americans living in Britain, Do they dilute the British "culture"?

I think that the ideas you have expressed are very bigoted and profoundly ignorant. They sound like Archie Bunker on steroids.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:44:10 AM by contrex »

Sponsored Links