Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dealing with children  (Read 3425 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Dealing with children
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 11:55:15 AM »
Sorry, but thats not really a helpful suggestion.  One generally cannot just "pick up and move" and would you seriously move because some kids are bothering you?

Crikey... can she have her head back, please?  :o

Well, I didn't realise comments from the peanut gallery were fair game for anything other than PM, Teacher.  Mea culpa.  ::)

And yes, 'one' can pick up and move whenever one's tenancy agreement is over.

I've moved many times because of anti-social behaviour and had problems similar to Q-G when it comes to 'some kids'.  That's why I posted as I did. 

Whether or not you particularly found that helpful is a bit beside the point.

Sorry but I really don't understand why daggers are being thrown here, I don't take purpledaffodil's comment as aggressive at all.  Moving may be an option for some but I should think for the vast majority it would be a last option.  Much better to try and sort out the children than to let them drive you out of your home

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
Sorry but I really don't understand why daggers are being thrown here, I don't take purpledaffodil's comment as aggressive at all. 

Me niether  :-\\\\

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:52:47 PM by LuckyCuz »
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 12:48:08 PM »
I think the 'not a helpful suggestion' to someone who was trying to be helpful may be the problem.

Vicky

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 12:50:32 PM »
[mod note]

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »
I love that, Mindy!

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »
Personally I dont think I better put on here fully what I would do...It wouldn't be considered very appropriate to some people...but as long as it stopped me being bothered I couldn't care less.

Obviously you have tried the nice approach...but as that is failing..I would burst their ball infront of them with a knife and tell them that any ball that comes over will be treated in the same way...also if anything else obscure happens to you or your property..you will visit their parents with the police in tow.  Ususally kids hate the idea of their parents being told about their behaviour.  Even if you don't know where they live..make out that you do.  Thats enough usually to put the frighteners on them.

How old do you think these little herberts are??

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »
I think whatever you do, if you plan on living in the area for awhile, you'll need to stop the behaviour now.  What will happen when these kids become teenagers?

• Banned

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 12:59:12 PM »
I think that I would be reluctant to use knives in front of children/teenagers on the streets of Glasgow.  They know where you live, they have an advantage over you, and any show of agression on your part could lead to further trouble.

Vicky

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »
Truthfully, if anyone pulled a knife out in front of my kids like that, no matter how naughty they'd been, I'd phone the police myself.

Not a great idea, in my opinion.

Next time, go out and tell them to piss off.  If they don't call the police.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
I agree with Vicky and Mindy. 

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:12 PM »
I think whatever you do, if you plan on living in the area for awhile, you'll need to stop the behaviour now.  What will happen when these kids become teenagers?

Wow, I totally agree!!  As annoying and aggravating as they are now, they can ratchet their behavior up to become even more erratic.  Hopefully by then you two or they will have moved.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:13:09 PM by DC_Girl »
*spousal visa FLR(M) issued June 8, 2010*

• Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
impleri, out of curiousity - where in Glasgow do you live?
We live in the East End pretty close to City Centre, based on the recommendation from one of the staff members in my department (he served in one of the churches in our neighbourhood for a few years).
Lucky, these kids are pre-teens (11 or 12 by my guestimation).
Moving isn't really an option because we are currently limited by a very tight budget and proximity to our haunts in the West End (which is both impractical and exceedingly expensive for poor university students to live with a dog).  To me, it's like telling someone to shave their head because they have dandruff.  Sure, it is an option, but escaping the situation doesn't really deal with the situation.
I think that the prevailing opinion here (barring the aggressive stuff) is to phone to police next time and let them deal with it.  I've thought of it before, but didn't know if that was a regular thing to do (back home, telling them to piss off was typically enough).

• Banned

• Lucky's Playlist
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 01:34:44 PM »
I am not talking about weaving a knife in their face and threatening to hack them to bits.  I am on about slashinh their ball.  Do it away from them and hand it back slashed then.

Truthfully, if anyone pulled a knife out in front of my kids like that, no matter how naughty they'd been, I'd phone the police myself.

Good...direct contact with the parents without having to research it yourself.  Police come knocking.... Picture of innocence: - "not sure what you mean officer, these kids have been intimidating us in our homes and trespassing on our property, yelling very very offensive language and we are just trying to go about our daily business, I wasn't aware this was their ball, I just popped it and left it outside"

Far better than ringing the police about some kids that are not going to be there when they finally arrive and not knowing where they live to direct them accordingly.

Police will believe two very mild mannered adults versus some scally kids.

• Banned

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
Possession of an offensive weapon.

Acting in a threatening manner.

Criminal damage.

Lying to the police.

Vicky

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 01:42:10 PM »

Moving isn't really an option because we are currently limited by a very tight budget and proximity to our haunts in the West End (which is both impractical and exceedingly expensive for poor university students to live with a dog).  To me, it's like telling someone to shave their head because they have dandruff.  Sure, it is an option, but escaping the situation doesn't really deal with the situation.

It's the East End of Glasgow.

I'd definitely not take out a knife and slash anyone's ball in that case.

Best of luck!   :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:44:41 PM by expat_in_scotland »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab