Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: CCJ and Citizenship  (Read 5553 times)

• Liked: 0
CCJ and Citizenship
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:29 PM »
I am new to the forum and I have a couple of questions regarding citizenship I hope anyone can help with. I will be eligible to apply for eu citizenship in April of this year. I have my ilr already and will have had for a year in April. I have recently had a ccj for a £40.00 debt. I totally forgot to pay a bill as several things have happened over the last year, including the loss of my only child. It was an oversight on my part, but it resulted in the court issuing a ccj. I paid the debt in the first 30 days after receiving the letter from the court. I know that I have looked at the application and it talks about criminal convictions including minor offences. I realise part of the process is having good character. As I have paid the debt quickly the ccj was taken off the record and as a result there is no ccj registered at my address. I know the application is quite costly and I wouldn't want to lose that amount of money. Does anyone know if this would affect my application? I appreciate the help in advance.

• London Pet Butler
Re: CCJ and Citizenship
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
I'm not one of the experts you want to hear from. But I just want to say how sorry I am for the loss of your only child. The saddest thing in this world must be to outlive our children. You have my deepest sympathies.

And, for what it's worth, I don't think you have anything to be too concerned about with the spent CCJ.

Kind regards and (((((hugs)))).

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:13:18 PM »
If the CCJ has been discharged then it shouldn't be a problem.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:17:41 PM »
JustAnotherAmerican

I think it is worth thinking about the basics here! CCJ! What does the J stand for? Judgement! And merely having a summons issued against you is not a judgement against you. You paid up before a judgement was issued against you.

Or put it another way, based upon what you have posted, you do not have any CCJs against you!
John

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:23:34 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. I know it's stupid as I ended up paying nearly four times the amount of the debt because of the court fee. I feel really terrible about letting it get to that, but my mind is not with me very much anymore.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:25:29 PM »
John, as there were court fees involved it is not clear that this was paid before judgement was issued.  It may well have been paid after.

Whichever, it is not a big deal, please don't worry about it.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »
John, as there were court fees involved it is not clear that this was paid before judgement was issued.

But in order to issue the summons there would have been court fees. Clearly court action was initiated. But as :-

I paid the debt in the first 30 days after receiving the letter from the court.

-: I think it is clear that no judgement was made. It was settled prior to that.
John

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »
Court fees are included on the original claim form sent to the debtor, in the total amount owed.  If he paid the total amount owed within the time period specified in the original claim paperwork, the judgement would not have been registered because the debt has been cleared in the specified time.  If you are unsure of whether the judgement is registered against you or not, ring the county court in question & give them the claim number - they will tell you if there is a registered judgement against you or not.  If there isn't one registered, you don't have a CCJ.  (like what JohnL has said)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 02:26:18 PM »
It is getting to the time where I need to apply for my citizenship :D Although nervous, just as I was with my first spouse visa, and my ilr. As I did have the CCJ, even though it was paid and taken off my record, is it something I need to put on the application? I see the section about criminal convictions, but it also says if you have anything from a court (I think). I think this is the only thing freaking me out so badly now. Thanks for all your help and responses. This is the final, and largest step to completing this journey for me I feel. Hmmmm I was just reading a debtor will usually have 28 days in which to settle the amount, before the action is recorded on the Register as a County Court Judgement. I paid the day after I received the judgement so I am going to call and make sure there isn't one at this address then. If there is not one listed at this address I am assuming I don't need to put it on the form. *sigh* this might all drive me totally insane
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 02:36:28 PM by JustAnotherAmerican »

Sponsored Links