Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: English breakfast  (Read 8523 times)

Re: English breakfast
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2002, 06:55:51 PM »
apparently, you can't get scrambled eggs in most little chefs because they make them ahead and freeze them and then just warm them up :(   When we moved here  little chefs and mcdonalds were the only resturants in the country to have high chairs and children's menus.  things have come along way.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2002, 07:00:43 PM »
Thats a weird way to cook your eggs! How much money can you possibly save that way? Oh well. Maybe it's space? Don't know.

I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2002, 07:00:47 PM »
However, kudos must be given to a country that makes it SO EASY to eat almost everywhere if one is a vegetarian.  I was one for 11 months, and it was very difficult to eat anything but pasta here in the States.  But everywhere we've gone/eaten in the UK (from Devon to Canterbury) there are obviously marked vegetarian options on the menus - as well as vegetarian alternatives to the English Breakfast even in little B&B's.  I am very impressed with this, even though I now indulge heartily in the eating of flesh and muscle!!!

Okay, not so hungry anymore!!!!  Sorry. :-/
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 1
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2002, 07:04:29 PM »
I'm not a vegitarian, and never have been, but I love the options here.  Why do we not have a version of Quorn in the US?  It is fantastic!

I was with some friends in Sky at a dinky pub and my friend was able to order vegitarian haggis!   :o  Apparently that was the only thing she misses since she has become a non-meat eater.  :-X
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2002, 07:09:11 PM »
Quorn is supposedly making its way to the American market as well.  But you know the FDA - just because it's been used fine for 1,000 years in Europe doesn't mean it's safe for Americans... ::)

My BF says it's good - haven't had it myself yet, though.  They tested it on the radio on NPR a few months back, and the vegetarian said it was really good, and the non-veggie said it was comparable to McD's nuggets (that's the form they tested it in).  I'm rather anxious to try it, really.  Never quite got into tofu.... :P

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2002, 07:20:57 PM »
it is an excellent substatute for chicken, though they have a beef version, it still tastes like chicken to me?!  They also have a quorn roast which I really like, but it tastes like chicken
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• larrrrry larry curlycurlymoemo e
    • Earl Apricot of Eisentrubble
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2002, 10:22:49 AM »
so far i've not found a veggie-burger option here that i *don't* like.  they've all been pretty good.. in fact i'm currently addicted to these nut-cutlet thingies from tesco.. forget tasting like meat.. they taste like nut-cutlets & they're the best thing in the universe!

in the states i didn't have very many veggie burgers cuz they all tasted like poo.  like peedal said, being a veg-head is *much* harder in the states.  
"i being an animal don't know what an instinct is unless it tastes good" - Codfish Alice

"are you telling me you don't see the connection between government and laughing at ppl?" - anon.

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2002, 07:02:43 PM »
ok...here goes

if you fry waffer thin ham in your chip pan...its like american bacon...the closest i can get to it that is....
just becareful....it likes to be naughty and splatter alot...use a lid.......and i do mean be careful!!!!

WHERE DID YOU FIND ITALLIAN SAUSAGE??????

Anyone know of a good homemade pancake mix??...the mixes here suck...unless i wanna spend £10 in bus fare just to get a £2 mix

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2002, 12:23:35 AM »
WHERE DID YOU FIND ITALLIAN SAUSAGE??????

The only place I found Italian Sausage was at the Greenwich Market.  I'm sure there are other places but I haven't found them yet.  ASDA, Sainsbury, and Tesco do not sell Italian Sausage (or perhaps each of them were out of stock each time I went shopping  ::)).  It could happen, I guess..
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• It's life, Jim, but not as we know it
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2002, 05:09:05 PM »
On the subject of eggs - why don't Brits refridgerate their eggs when they are stored in the supermarket???

I can eat the bacon if it's smoked, the fat is cut off and it's grilled until it's crisp. Big, floppy, greasy bacon makes me heave.

Can't say I eat English breakfasts because they are pretty gross - all that meat and black pudding and fried stuff - ugh.

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2002, 05:13:32 PM »
Yes, Brits are very lax about refridgerating their eggs, but ask them to eat an egg one day past the experation and you'd have thought you'd asked them to down ajax. :-X

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2002, 06:24:48 PM »
but ask them to eat an egg one day past the experation and you'd have thought you'd asked them to down ajax.

So true!  :D

• I hate Mondays too!!!
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2002, 05:22:09 PM »
Why do we not have a version of Quorn in the US?  It is fantastic!

Is this compared to haggis?  I have tried Quorn and find it absolutely disgusting [smiley=!blank.gif] [smiley=behead.gif].  Never could figure out why vegitarians want to eat something that tastes like meat but isn't meat. ???  Why not cut through the chase and go for the real thing?
Dial 0800-HELP-SPOUSE when in need (members only)!

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2002, 06:21:30 PM »
Actually my husband doesn't care for it either, so I don't get it very often.  I tend to think of it as being healther, though I have no idea what it  is made of, so it could be worse for me than the real thing.

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2002, 07:04:26 PM »
Quorn is made out of a fungus.  Really.  Nope, not mushrooms.  But a true, honest-to-goodness fungus.

Yum.

Of course, you just have to think about the first person who decided to squeeze on a cow and drink the white stuff that came out...

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links