Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How many hours driving instruction?  (Read 984 times)

• Liked: 0
How many hours driving instruction?
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:10:33 PM »
dh has had a US driving license for many years and now wishes to drive in the UK. So, how many hours driving instruction should he book? Or how many hours did you need before passing your UK test? I suppose it will also depend on whether he decides on automatic or manual. All advice/comments appreciated!

Thanks!  :)

Re: How many hours driving instruction?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »
My husbands had about 4 lessons so far, he's finding it a lot more difficult than he expected despite being an experienced driver in the US.  I think it's hard for him to unlearn all his bad driving habits.

I'd book one lesson initially and see what the instructor thinks.

• Liked: 163
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »

This is what I did.  After the first lesson, the instructor said he thought I'd only need 1 or maybe 2 more to learn the techniques I'd need to know for the test, and that wound up being what I did.

Carl

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »
I did the manual test, and did 11 hours of lessons over a 2 week period (5 2 hour lessons, and 1 hour right before my test), and then had my test at the end of the 2nd week. I was under a bit of time pressure, as I was trying to pass while we were staying with my in-laws, before moving back to London. I told the instructor what I was trying to accomplish, and we agreed that we would assess after the first week, and see if we thought I could pass. I also did A LOT of practice with my husband after my lessons, going over the different test routes (which you can print up from the DVLA website). Probably an extra 2 hours every day.

I had never driven a manual before moving over here, and while I did know the basics before my lessons (from driving around with my husband) I was really nervous and low on confidence. The lessons helped a lot. My husband had been trying to teach me, but it just wasn't working. After my first 2 lessons, I felt a lot more confident (like I could actually drive again!), and we spent most of the rest of the lessons going of the maneuvers and the test routes.

Oh, and I passed the first time  :) I'm still so relieved about it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:07:07 PM by kate_mate »

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 03:36:54 PM »
Thanks, I've told him to book an initial lesson and take it from there.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 04:19:52 PM »
heartening to hear some of these stories actually, I was assuming that never having driven a manual car before (but with 8 years driving experience) I would need 20+ lessons to pass the test, the cost of which has put me off starting the process!  But if I only need 10 lessons or so that sounds a lot more doable...
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
I had 6 lessons, 12 hours. I didn't really need them all, but I had the worst time with the reverse around the corner. 

My husbands had about 4 lessons so far, he's finding it a lot more difficult than he expected despite being an experienced driver in the US.  I think it's hard for him to unlearn all his bad driving habits.

Inshes roundabout gets 'em, everytime!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Banned

• "Friends are the family we choose for ourselves"
    • Lucky's Playlist
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 07:34:49 PM »
I don't think you can really predict how many you need.  I am a native and I am too embarrassed to tell you how many hours I needed!!  :-\\\\ ;)
I AM LIKE MARMITE - YOU EITHER LOVE ME OR HATE ME!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward.

MY MUSIC - http://www.playlist.com/playlist/12772939531/standalone

Providing entertainment since April 16, 2008, 05:07:08 PM effectionatly known to some as chubsie!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 07:34:20 AM »
I think I had 10 lessons. I already knew how to drive a stick and had 20+ years of experience. I passed on my first try.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

Sponsored Links