Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: job search question  (Read 1298 times)

job search question
« on: June 16, 2004, 08:35:27 PM »
Hi all, I have a question.  I have been submitting job applications on-line and going to recruitment/temp agencies for the past few weeks.  I have heard nothing.  My CV is very good and I’ve had a lot of experience over the last 10 years as a Fundraiser.  But nothing.  Did anyone else have trouble finding a job here?  Could it be that they would choose a Brit over an American even though I have a visa and a lot of experience?  (I don’t want to think it would be just because I am American, but I did ask a friend here about it that is in HR and she said that honestly she would put a Brit above an American CV) 

It’s all just very frustrating!  I have not worked in over a year. (I moved here last year and could not work without a visa) I miss it and I’m so bored sitting here all day staring at the computer, I am willing to do about anything.    Could it also have anything to do with me not having a NIN number yet?  Is it possible to apply for one before I have a job, or do I need to wait for a job anyway?

Any help would be great.  Thanks everyone!!!!

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
Re: job search question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »
I would suggest getting a book about how to prepare your CV.  A friend had lent me "Brilliant CV" by Jim Bright and Joanne Earl (a really helpful book, actually) recently as I was shocked at just how important your CV is in this country down to the very last detail of font size. (At least when I first started to apply for jobs with an agency, I was looking for just any admin job at all so it was easier to place me.) But now I am understanding how big a deal it is and am at a loss with how to put together a great one. It seemed so much easier in the US!  :P

Your covering letter and CV must be tailored to each ad you are applying for and if you make one mistake, your CV will be in the trash. The person in our HR dept had said that if she receives a CV and the covering letter isn't addressed specifically to her, she throws it away regardless. I think that is one of many tiny details that you just can't overlook here.

It is possible that you have a great CV by USA standards but may be missing something that is standard here.  Just a thought.

As for the NIN....don't ask me....I seemed to have had the worst experience of everyone trying to get one.  >:(

Good luck though!!

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 09:30:31 PM »
If you're not getting any responses from the agencies then I recommend calling them. Let them know you're still looking for work and ask them if there is anything you can do to help your prospects. This shows the agency that you're serious about getting a job and this will stick in their minds the next time they get a good contract in. 

Tomorrow is Thursday and the papers will have a job section in them. Go get your local paper and sit in a cafe or wherever phoning up jobs/agencies asking them for an interview/application.

Job hunting is such a stressful thing. I always thought of it as a full time job. Don't be discouraged, keep your head high and pound the pavement. Good luck hon.

Also, about the NIN, you don't have to have one and they wont' ask you if you do before you're hired. They'll give you a temporary number but you can apply for a number if you are actively looking for work and can prove it (ie cv, confirmation of interviews etc etc). Phone up your local social security office and ask for an interview. Tell them you're looking for work. You should get confirmation of an interview within a few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 09:32:54 PM by Ashley »
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 10:25:12 PM »
Oh thank you!!!  That is all wonderful advice!!!  I will have to find the local SS office now.  Maybe me DH will have an idea.  It really is a full time job looking for one!  Such a headache!!!

Lynne, I saw that book on Amazon when I was looking for an interview book.  I actually asked my SIL and the HR friend for a copy of their CV's last year.  I took the two and made my own using their wonderful ideas.  My HR friend told me that if was great more then once, so I guess I'm ok with that, but I might go to one of the many bookstores in town to take a peak at it anyway!!!

There is another question I have.  Interviewing, is it tougher here then in the US?  I hate interviewing, I truly don't think you get to know someone with the questions asked.  I'd interview students at one of my jobs and ask them to tell me about themselves and just have a conversation.  I had a lot better luck that way.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 04:32:05 PM »
There is another question I have.  Interviewing, is it tougher here then in the US?  I hate interviewing, I truly don't think you get to know someone with the questions asked.  I'd interview students at one of my jobs and ask them to tell me about themselves and just have a conversation.  I had a lot better luck that way.

I've only been on one interview here in the UK, and, I have to say, it was much more structured than any I'd had in the US.  There was a committee of people asking questions, and they questions had obviously been well thought out (they were all typed up and pertained specifically to what I'd put on my application).  I guess I did okay though...I got the job!  For me, the best part was when the "formal" interview was over...they started to get nosy then...wanting to know my life story and why I'm here, etc.   :)

Also, don't be too surprised if you experience some difficulty in getting the NIN.  When I called, the guy made it clear that I would only be given an interview if I was currently working or had been formally offered a job.  It says in the "rules" that you can apply if you're only looking, but I think individual job centres interpret the rules differently.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 04:33:40 PM by lolabola »

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 04:35:21 PM »
Wow, that is cool Lola!  I guess I should study my CV then huh;)  Not working for so long I've forgotten all the cool things I've done ;)

I like that they were nosy, I love telling people why I am here!

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 04:48:06 PM »
OMG now i'm nervous!

here i was, thinking all i had to do was change the address on my (quite good by US standards) resume! 

thank god i have 1.5 months to work on it before i move!

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 04:49:26 PM »
Don't worry!  I can send you mine and my SIL and friends if you want.  Let me know if you want them.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 04:51:04 PM »
stacey that would be GREAT.  my email address is aimiloo@yahoo.com

THANK YOU!

• Smiley Gifts World
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 05:01:25 PM »
Don't worry!  I can send you mine and my SIL and friends if you want.  Let me know if you want them.
Can I butt in here ?? and say ...I would love to see a copy too!! I have no clue the differences between CV and resume...but have been informed they are quite different.

I appreciate any help!
Helena

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 05:02:56 PM »
just pm me your email or post it, I'll send all three.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 05:50:50 PM »
they started to get nosy then...wanting to know my life story and why I'm here, etc.   :)

Oh yeah, don't be surprised if they ask 'Why on earth did you move from the US to here. They mean well.  ;)

As for the CV, the only thing different between my CV and my resume was the personal details section.

Married with no children. American citizen with ILR status with the Home Office, which grants permission to live and work in the UK on the basis of marriage.
Date of Birth: 4th July 1981 

I also 'britified' it. For example I put that I have a high school degree and what that was the equivalent to.

High School Diploma – Equivalent to 8 GCSEs including Maths & English and 3 A – Levels including French.

They're really not that big a deal. Nothing to be afraid of  :) .  But if you're using an agency they'll create a cv for you which they'll give to the companies you're applying for. This is why I loved using agencies. They knew what the companies wanted to see and made sure it was in my cv. And you don't have to bring a cv to an interview you've got through an agency. However, it's always good to be prepared and bring all your information (cv, references, passport etc.)
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 11:51:04 AM »
My two bits here:

I pretty much hit the ground running as soon as I got here... I went in to any temp agency that would have me, and I called them every other day, constantly reminding them I was looking for work.   As far as looking for a job, they appreciated that, as they have so many people on their rosters.
I've been working consistently at various temp jobs, with only one minor break in the past three months.  It wasn't until I asked, that I got some advice on my cv - they're much more interested in detail, as opposed to US where they want it, one page, short and sweet, summarized, leaving something to talk about in the interview... which frankly, leaves me bored during an interview, repeating everything that's already on the cv; but, whatevah.
Here, they seem to want every tidbit on paper.  I didn't go so far as to put educational equivalents, but due to the detail factor, probably not a good idea.
Any employment agency you sign with should help you revise your cv/resume; but, like the culture, it may have to initiate from you.  But, like the culture, once you do initiate it, they are more than happy to help.
Just like my coming here for a new life; I'm treating everything like a game as best I can - try not to take anything too seriously, throw it out there, see what comes back... and make sure you have the viewpoint that you get to pick and choose what you want to do; you don't have to grab at the first thing that's offered... keep that in mind, and it will help subside any desperation or fear that tends to creep in.
Good luck!
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 11:59:39 AM »
I didn't put the educational equivalents on mine, either.  I just assumed that people would know what a high school diploma is...I guess it's not needed if you've got a degree of some sort--they're more interested in that anyway. 

If anyone wants to see mine, I'll be glad to send it to you.   :)

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 12:51:41 PM »
Thanks so much Lola and Elizabeth!!!  That is super!!!!  I need to motivate myself to do this and brush up on excel!  I hate that they test you on that and word, it's hard when I have not really used it much in over a year!

Sponsored Links