Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Chavs: Do we have a big "COME HELP YOURSELF!" sign on our house or what?  (Read 3650 times)

• Liked: 1
What you need is to show them some American culture.

Start off with having some line backers staying at your house when you are away and they could use those that enter for their practice drills.

On a more serious solution, how about organizing a neighborhood watch group?

• Liked: 12
Your situation sounds a lot worse than the usual vandalism/burglaries.  Does your house stand out as more affluent-looking near a scummy neighbourhood?  I couldn't tell you how many times our house in Leeds was burgled.  It was usually while we were away but happened once while DH was upstairs in bed.  He phoned the police but as they were arriving up the front garden the burglars did a bunk out the back!  We also had things stolen off the washing line and the front gate vandalized.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

That's horrific!!  I can't believe how crazy this group sounds!! 

• Liked: 0
Now this is why guns should be legal, in my hometown this wouldnt happen criminals would be to afraid to break into any house with an empty gun rack outside and a sign that says "trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again"

Is the OP out there? Please post, as we haven't heard from you since the first message and it's a little worrying given the scary situation you are in!

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Is the OP out there? Please post, as we haven't heard from you since the first message and it's a little worrying given the scary situation you are in!

Good point! Are you okay?  :-\\\\

Now this is why guns should be legal

This is happening in England. We do things differently here.

• Midwestern Yank
Yes, I am still here, just been a few busy days at work and been too tired to get online when I got home is all!

I really do appreciate everyone's concern. We are really just hoping the note was just an idle threat, as it was received about 3 weeks ago now. Indeed, the police were most definitely informed about the note, and they have put it in our file at the station. They told my husband via mobile phone call that someone was arrested in connection with the note, but they wouldn't tell us any more than that (i.e. who it was or what happened after the arrest).

As far as personal safety, we have been pricing up alarm systems, but don't have the 500+pounds that the companies are asking for, so we're looking elsewhere. I do carry a personal alarm, to and from work. I'm never out alone after dark (never have been while living here, anyway, but especially not now). My work and colleagues are all aware of the situation as well. I do have a colleague that lives in the general area who has a few of same issues as we do, but mostly just vandalism and annoying kids rather than burglars.

We do live in a neighborhood watch area, but we don't have the best of neighbors, to be honest. However, my husband is supposed to be having a word with the lady who lives next to us in our semi. When we did report the first guy and the note, we had the lovely Humberside police helicopter patrolling our area rather diligently for a week or so.

I don't know what it is about our house that attracts people. It does look rather shabby on the outside, honestly, so it may be that people think they can easily get in. Or it could have picked up recently because we have a feeling that the guy we caught runs with some sort of gang or at least a "loyal" crowd.

We most definitely cannot afford to move, unfortunately. We rent from my mother-in-law at a more than reasonable price, and I'm the only one working (at an unstable job) at the minute.

I'm mostly angry at the mindset of people who believe they can come and just take whatever they want for free. I may not have much, but I work damn hard for what I have.
Dec 7, 2007 - Moved to UK
Feb 15, '11-Citizenship ceremony
March 8, '11-UK passport received

Sponsored Links