Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Current Food Obsession?  (Read 92997 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: Current Food Obsession?
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »
What's tortilla soup?
I've never had it...

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/002087tortilla_soup.php

a very tasty Mexican soup, usually with chicken and veg, and corn tortilla strips in it, and sometimes topped with avocado, cheese, and crispy corn tortilla strips. It's delish!!!
Nigella has a recipe for it in her Christmas book, was kinda thinking of trying it out sometime.

I always have an obsession with Greek, Lebanese, and Thai food. Always. Really craving some falafel and wondering if I could learn to make some this week. Might have to look up some recipes.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »

I always have an obsession with Greek, Lebanese, and Thai food. Always. Really craving some falafel and wondering if I could learn to make some this week. Might have to look up some recipes.

I've used falafel "mixes" in the US that turned out pretty good.  Can't remember if I ever saw such in the UK.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/002087tortilla_soup.php

a very tasty Mexican soup, usually with chicken and veg, and corn tortilla strips in it, and sometimes topped with avocado, cheese, and crispy corn tortilla strips. It's delish!!!
Nigella has a recipe for it in her Christmas book, was kinda thinking of trying it out sometime.

I love tortilla soup, but I usually cheat and mix two cans of rotel, two cans of chicken & rice soup and a can of ranch style beans together, and add tortilla chips, diced chicken and an avocado. Mmmm!!

• Jewlz

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2009, 01:18:31 PM »
I love tortilla soup, but I usually cheat and mix two cans of rotel, two cans of chicken & rice soup and a can of ranch style beans together, and add tortilla chips, diced chicken and an avocado. Mmmm!!

Hey, that's a pretty good cheat! Too bad there isn't any Rotel in the UK. It makes things easy. Heck, it would be nice if I could even find a can of green chiles somewhere, without having to order them online and pay too much.  :-\\\\

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
pringles
ranch dressing
and still obsessed with cheese lol
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is to love
and to be loved in return"

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2009, 06:32:19 PM »
glazed donuts
Sprite
s'mores
white cheddar popcorn

• Mmmm...beer
    • My Blog
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
Hey, that's a pretty good cheat! Too bad there isn't any Rotel in the UK. It makes things easy. Heck, it would be nice if I could even find a can of green chiles somewhere, without having to order them online and pay too much.  :-\\\\

I think you can get packs of fresh green chiles at Tsang Foods in China Town.
I'm thinking about getting metal legs. It's a risky operation, but it'll be worth it.

« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »

There are packs of fresh green chillies in every supermarket.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2009, 01:54:10 AM »
Egg rolls. 

• Jewlz

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
There are packs of fresh green chillies in every supermarket.

I've only seen the small hot chiles in supermarkets, not the large mild green chiles. Maybe I've just missed them?

I just went to China Town! Bummer. It might be a while before I go again... at the time, I was too busy thinking about pad thai to consider the other possibilities. Maybe next time...

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »
I've only seen the small hot chiles in supermarkets, not the large mild green chiles. Maybe I've just missed them?

I didnt read the entire thread, so may have missed the bit where you specified that you wanted large green and mild!
Those will definitely be harder to find!  I've never actually looked for them.

• Jewlz

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »
I didnt read the entire thread, so may have missed the bit where you specified that you wanted large green and mild!
Those will definitely be harder to find!  I've never actually looked for them.

I don't think I actually specified until just now, so that's ok! I was thinking more of the kind of big chiles you would use to make chile rellenos, etc. Like the ones in the Rotel tomato and chile stuff (if you remember what that's like - I know you've been in UK for a long time now) And since I am used to using convenience foods like that, I get confused when trying to make things from fresh, anyway.  :P But I think that's the sort of thing I'm after...

Right now, chocolate eggs are my main obsession... my stepson was given about 10 of those freakin' things for Easter and I keep eating them, saying to myself that I am just saving him from the mound of sugar he might otherwise consume without my help!  ;)

« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2009, 03:02:59 PM »
I was thinking more of the kind of big chiles you would use to make chile rellenos, etc.

Oh sorry... no, i've never seen anything like that in supermarkets here, but you will possibly get them online.

http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/?referrer=devonchillifarm&gclid=COP7rPL-6JkCFUIw3godznXLSA

• Jewlz

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »
Oh sorry... no, i've never seen anything like that in supermarkets here, but you will possibly get them online.

http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/?referrer=devonchillifarm&gclid=COP7rPL-6JkCFUIw3godznXLSA

Cool link! Maybe I could grow some chiles! (not sure, what with the black thumb and all...) My grandpa had a pepper plant and I thought they were easter candy when I was a kid (you know the brightly colored egg things?)... that was a painful mistake!  :P

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »
My grandpa had a pepper plant and I thought they were easter candy when I was a kid (you know the brightly colored egg things?)... that was a painful mistake!  :P

my uncle gave me my first ever radish, telling me it was a cherry.  :-X

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab