Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I got an interview!!!!!  (Read 2368 times)

I got an interview!!!!!
« on: June 18, 2004, 04:05:43 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OK, I got a call today that I was short listed for a position at a local College. (So excited, I worked at a Uni. before and I loved it!!!!)  While I'm thrilled!  I'm also very nervous.  The woman who called was very nice, she gave me times I could come in on Wednesday, and what will happen during the 45 minutes I am there, basically a 15 min tour and then a half hour interview.  Here is where I get concerned, I usually blank on interviews.  I can't think and I become a blabbering idiot.  Yes, I have had jobs good jobs in fact, but I'm out of practice now and I need help.  Just would like to know some of your interviewing experiences here in the UK.  Are the questions different?  Is there more then one person there?  Do they have second interviews, or is this it?  Someone mentioned that they like CV's with a lot of information so they don't have to ask you more questions about your CV, if that is true what do they ask?  Do they usually make decisions quickly?  Or do you have to wait for a long time?  Thanks everyone, at least I can use this as experience right!  I will no longer not know. 

• Banned

• English, living in Lewes, East Sussex
    • Pagination Associates
  • Liked: 0
Re: I got an interview!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 06:47:10 PM »
Stacey, brill congrats on getting to the interview stage!

It shows that your CV was exactly the "right stuff" - they wouldn't have shortlisted you otherwise.

I'm a hardened old interviewer in the Brit  arena, so I hope the following might help:

1) You will almost certainly be interviewed by a panel/interview board - ie, more than one person. 

2) One of these persons will almost certainly be a 'personnel/HR' professional.  The reason for this is to make sure that all the organization's policies and pratices are properly understood, followed, and documented.  If at some later date you feel that your non-selection was on account of some unfairness, you can appeal to an Industrial Tribunal, which will investigate whether any unfair discrimination took place, according to both the organization's personnel practice, policies, and procedures, and according to English law, both statutory and customary.  This person is unlikely to ask you any difficult questions, only to clarify your understanding of what the job entails, and how you will be remunerated for it - this bit is a negotiation or clarification about your emplyoment contract.

3) Other people on the panel/interview board will be your boss-to-be, and probably his/her boss.  They will certainly have your application papers in front of them - your letter and CV, and application form if one was issued you.  They will probably use these  as a 'prompt' in their questioning.

4) The job of the panel is to select the best person for the job.  They will take notes, and possibly keep a discreet score sheet (These could be used as evidence in an Industrial Tribunal)

5) Almost certainly, the first five minutes of the interview will be designed to relax you and make you feel comfortable.  An interview is a formal discussion, and good interviewers realize that some people do not give of their best in such circumstances.  However, they are trying to get the best person for the job, not the best interviewee.

6) Hard questioning starts with one or more of the following questions: a) what are your strengths/weaknesses? b) what do you know about this organization/job? c) what qualities do you think you can bring to this job?  It is best to have rehearsed some of the answers to these questions - which you will already will have done, or you wouldn't have applied to begin with!

7) Three or four questions will follow - teasing out relevant experience &c.

8) At the end of the interview you will almost certainly be asked if you have any questions to ask.  If you like, as well as any genuine questions you might have, you can use this to demonstrate that you have done some homework on the job/organization, but obviously don't make your questioning sound too challenging and critical.

Never lie, nor dissumulate at an interview (well, dear Stacey, I know you never would!)

Remember that the interview is only one component of the selection process, and often not even the most important one.

Also use the interview as a learning process, to find out about the organization and the job they have for you on a plate, to find out more about yourself and what you want to do, to find out more about other people.

If you don't get the job, don't grieve: why worry about a job you never had anyway?!

I hope this helps.  I know that other forum members will be with me in the pain of their tightly crossed fingers for you!  Luck, oddly enough, does count, as in horse racing (your uncle Celtic will back me on this!) , so I wish you tons and tons of it, dear Stacey!

Howard
Deo gratias Anglia redde pro victoria

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 06:54:20 PM »
Oh Howard!!!!  Thank you so much!  Puts me at ease, and I can do some more research this weekend. 

You are a true gem!!!!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 06:56:40 PM »
Oh very good luck Stacey! Howard has given you lots of great tips and advice.  You might get a question about cultural sensitivity that is quite a hot one in the education sector.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 07:05:21 PM »
Oh very good luck Stacey! Howard has given you lots of great tips and advice.  You might get a question about cultural sensitivity that is quite a hot one in the education sector.

Thanks!!!  Is it really?  Thanks for the info!

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 07:11:17 PM »
Oh Stacey!  Well done and good luck.   :)  Which college is it?

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 07:12:58 PM »
Guildford College.  I love working with students!!!  My other CV's went to U of Surrey. 

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 07:14:09 PM »
OH well in that case come to the food hall and say hi to me.   :)

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 07:22:27 PM »
Wooohooo!!!!  Cool!!!  I was going to ask where you worked;)  I so want this job!!!!

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 07:25:29 PM »
Bless you, dear Stacey!  I meant to add another thing to my point #5, which was something a wise old interviewer (he was also a veteran interviewee) told me about people who are nervous at interviews (well, we all are, otherwise it would suggest we are not taking the situation seriously), or feel that they never give of their best in these rather formal occasions.  At the risk of boring you to death, here it is: "An interview is not an audition: you get a feel for those that are good for the job, against those who are merely good at interviews"

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 07:26:51 PM »
 :D  You make me smile Howard!  Thank you!

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 07:48:18 PM »
Just thought of something, what should I wear??????   YIKES!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 07:51:31 PM »
Stacey what is the job you are going for? I would say wear a suit in most cases, dress skirt or trouser variety would be fine.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 07:54:42 PM »
Library Technician, I have never done anything like that before, but I am always up for a challange!!!  I don't have any suits here, (A million in US!) I guess I could wear a black skirt and black jacket.  Or I'll buy something, cool!!!!

• Banned

• Pagination Associates
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 07:57:39 PM »
Power dress, Stacey.  It will suggest to your interviewers that you are taking the event (and by implication, the job that will be consequent upon it) very seriously.  Spanish matadores spend a lot of time getting dressed in their "suits of lights", quite a ritual involved - it helps them with the challenge they are about to face, makes them less afraid, gives them control of the situation.  You do the same, Stacey, my matador!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab