Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Citizenship application backlog  (Read 519 times)

Citizenship application backlog
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »
I applied for my citizenship on Thursday through the NCS and just wanted to make anyone else aware that the registrar said that because of the fee changes in April then Home Office have sent here a letter saying something to the like of:

"We normally aim to process all citizenship applications in 3-6 months and normally receive approximately 500 applications for citizenship a day.  Last week we received approximately 1100 per day so your waiting period may be longer"

Im not really bothered. Its submitted and now Im just going to put it to the back of my mind and wait... but for anyone thinking of applying not using the NCS and sending your passport to Home office it might be worth considering you might be without it for quite some time...

Just thought I would share.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Citizenship application backlog
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »
Thanks for that.  Though I should point out that using the NCS does not make you jump the queue in any way, and that if you get a certified copy of your passport there is really no advantage to using them (above getting a very basic, not always accurate, document check).

Vicky

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:40:41 PM »
Though I should point out that using the NCS does not make you jump the queue in any way, and that if you get a certified copy of your passport there is really no advantage to using them (above getting a very basic, not always accurate, document check).

Vicky, we have disagreed about this before, and we continue to disagree. But I accept that UKBA does maintain that applying via NCS does make no difference to the amount of time an application will take.

However the UKBA website does say about NCS :-

This service has been very popular since its introduction in 2005 as there are a number of advantages:

• last year only 2% of applications made this way were unsuccessful.  This compares with 10% refusals for other applications;
  • you can keep hold of your documents (like your passport) - we can, however, request the originals if we need them.

The anecdotal evidence, from boards such as this, is that whilst there will be exceptions, in both categories, the average NCS-filed application is dealt with quicker than the average postal-filed application .... whatever UKBA say.

Quote from: Chrissy
We normally aim to process all citizenship applications in 3-6 months and normally receive approximately 500 applications for citizenship a day.  Last week we received approximately 1100 per day so your waiting period may be longer.

Very helpful Chrissy. It just illustrates what pressure the Citizenship unit in Liverpool is having to cope with. I think it also shows the sheer quantity of applicants applying now who have not just become time-qualified to apply now, but who became time-qualified months or years ago, and want to ensure that they get their British Citizenship before the conditions for that get much tougher.
John

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
And as we have also discussed, there is no suggestion that going with the NCS gives you any advantage over going for a document check with a solicitor or OISC advisor.  Those statistics do not reflect whether or not there is a refusal rate of 2 per cent or less by going that route. 

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 09:50:27 PM »
I know that using NCS doesn't jump me to the front of the queue and i never said it did.  End of the day, im not in a hurry for it to come through, whenever is fine with me. I mainly went there to get the certified copy of my passport so that if i need to travel, i can....and also to just have a 3rd set of eyes on the application besides mine and my husbands.  Well worth the £40.

• Our aniversary and citizenship celebratiom
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 07:43:38 AM »
Good luck I think with the application it seems to be which ever application they pick up there is a link that everyone was talking about how long it is taking.

I was told up to 8 months it took 3ish and other people got theirs before me and applied after me, weird.

You have the right attitude just wait till you get it.

good luck again

Indy

Sponsored Links