Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The time of year of iced coffees/lattes... trials and tribulations.  (Read 3520 times)

• Liked: 0

I come from Arizona. Naturally, when it gets to be a certain time of year, I start wanting iced coffees or lattes rather than hot. Ever since moving here over two years ago, I have found this to be quite the task. Sometimes I am successful, whereas other times the explanations just start holding up the line and I give up since it is looking like a hopeless request. Some places offer such a thing on a menu, but most places I have been find it completely baffling.

I remember the first time I tried this when moving here, I went to a Starbucks because I figured they MUST not be so freaked out by the idea of an iced coffee, because they are totally into customization and they boast about it. I had ordered an iced chai. The woman was so, so confused and in the end, they ended up doing it, with difficulty and struggle, but she didn't know what to charge me. I told her just charge for the chai... because it IS a chai, it just has some ice added to it. She ended up charging me for a latte (?!?), which was cheaper than what I got anyway... bonus! But why was it all so complicated?! Haw haw!

An example, as follows, as I really, really wanted an iced coffee today because the train was too warm:

Barista: What would you like?
Gena: Can I have an iced soy latte?
Barista: I don't understand.
Gena: It's a soy latte, but poured over ice.
Barista: I don't get it... iced?
Gena: Yes! A soy latte... iced! With ice!
Barista: ...
Gena: Oh, forget it... just get me a soy latte.
Barista: Okay!

:(  I'm sure I will succeed at least five times this upcoming summer... that is my goal!  Just five! I don't ask for much... just a little ice... [smiley=cowboy.gif]

Re: The time of year of iced coffees/lattes... trials and tribulations.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
I must admit I have never had a problem getting an iced drink, except for iced tea of course, in the UK. 

One of the few things I haven't been able to complain about.  ;)

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:36:35 PM »
Hmmm, I haven't tried to get any iced coffees or teas yet, but I do remember those frozen cappucino (like a milkshake!) things from Starbucks.

Suregena, you are in W. Yorkshire and so am I--I *definitely* don't want anything iced today--it's mitten and scarf weather out there!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• My Flickr page
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
Suregena, you are in W. Yorkshire and so am I--I *definitely* don't want anything iced today--it's mitten and scarf weather out there!

Haha!  I was thinking the same thing - it's not iced *anything* weather here in Glasgow!
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" ~Henry Ward Beecher

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »
Haha!  I was thinking the same thing - it's not iced *anything* weather here in Glasgow!

Yeap, it was snowing up here in the early morning light this morning... luckily changed to rain though a bit later... 

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »
Haw haw, I know... but I was cra-a-a-aving it! Hot coffee just seemed too much for my tummy to take this morning.  ;D

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:31:40 PM »
I must admit I have never had a problem getting an iced drink, except for iced tea of course, in the UK. 

One of the few things I haven't been able to complain about.  ;)

Iced tea is the biggest problem of them all. I have gotten it once... from a cafe in Bradford called Love Apple. It was GLORIOUS!!!!

I find the iced coffee thing iffy. I usually can get it made in the end (so I was being a bit sarcastic in my initial post)... but the work it takes to get people to make it seems a bit silly... when it's just ice. I've actually gotten my husband into iced coffees, and he gets trouble with it, too.

Maybe it's just West Yorkshire! Minus Leeds.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 01:33:24 PM »
I got my husband addicted to Dunkin Donuts iced coffee, or even regular coffee.  That is what I want, an iced French Vanilla cream no sugar iced coffee. 

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »
My husband had never had coffee of any sort iced until he was in the States visiting me. I got one and he just said, "I'll have the same." because he was curious and never thought to add ice to something. He tried it and thought it was amazing... heh.

Just like he thinks my fried egg sandwiches are amazing... or the eggs I cook (any style), in general.
He can't order eggs over here anymore... they make him sad. Even his mum's make him sad now.  :P
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 01:55:08 PM by suregena »

• Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:49:12 PM »
I never find iced coffee to be a problem, however we do drink tons of it at home in the summer. Iced Tea, now thats my favorite. I always buy those little sachets of Crystal Light Iced Tea (my favorite) and carry them with me...I bloody love those!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »
Is it terminology?  You say 'iced coffee'...we say 'Frappucino'?

Vicky

• Liked: 3
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »

Vicky

nope, two totally different things. One is a blended ice drink, the other is a cold cup of coffee with ice in it. Apples and oranges. :D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »
From my experience... a  frappacino is all blended, like a milkshake.  Iced coffee is just straight up coffee with ice cubes... both taste nice though... but you could be right Vicky, maybe that's what they know it as...  
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 03:30:05 PM »

Vicky

No... 2 totally different things!
The Starbucks that I go to have got iced latte *and* Frappucinos on the menu, so Starbucks should definitely not be confused at the OPs request.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »
Iced tea is the biggest problem of them all. I have gotten it once... from a cafe in Bradford called Love Apple. It was GLORIOUS!!!!

I find the iced coffee thing iffy. I usually can get it made in the end (so I was being a bit sarcastic in my initial post)... but the work it takes to get people to make it seems a bit silly... when it's just ice. I've actually gotten my husband into iced coffees, and he gets trouble with it, too.

Maybe it's just West Yorkshire! Minus Leeds.  ;)

If the baristas find the concept of those two things together so incomprehensible, have you considered asking for a chai/latte/coffee with a cup of ice on the side? ;D
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab