Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Entry clearance question  (Read 1741 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Entry clearance question
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 03:39:00 AM »
So.....as of now when I reenter the UK before my 2 years is up and I have my ILR still intact, I then wait the additional 3 years to be able to apply for UK citizenship?

Possibly longer, subject to the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Bill.

HL BILL 15 en 08-09:
145.     Clause 39(1) inserts a new paragraph 4B into Schedule 1 to the BNA 1981. This sets out what the qualifying period will be for naturalisation as a British citizen. The qualifying period is different depending on whether the applicant is applying under section 6(1) or (2) of the BNA 1981. For applicants applying under section 6(1) of the BNA 1981, the default qualifying period is 8 years. For applicants applying under section 6(2) of the BNA 1981, the default qualifying period is 5 years. These periods can be reduced to 6 years or 3 years respectively if the applicant meets the activity condition. The activity condition is further defined in paragraph 4B(5).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:55:35 AM by vinny »
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:23 AM »
As Vinny the Link says, it is something that is likely to change between when you return and when you apply for Citizenship.  Basically because of your extended abscense from the UK, the clock will have reset as soon as you hit 270 days and now the rules will likely change.  :-\\\\  Welcome back to the UK!
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 12:54:41 AM »
Thank you everyone! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, have been busy with my coursework. I was a little confused with the different feedback, but it's as I thought if not worse now. lol. That's what we get for not doing it in the first place, but things are always easier in hindsight. Never mind, I will be back in the UK before my visa expires to save us a lot of hassle and grief. Now I just need to sort out the dog again, and sell most of our things. So much fun.  :)

You all have been loads of help, so thank you all again for weighing in and helping me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab