Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The official UKY inlaw venting thread  (Read 96932 times)

• Liked: 4
Re: The official UKY inlaw venting thread
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »
A bizarro-IL story.  DH told me that while he was home last month, there was a bucket in the shower.  He was like  ???  what the heck is this?  FIL said that DH should use it for collecting the water from the shower when it's heating up.  They then use the water for watering the plants.   :-X ??? ::) :P

• Liked: 0
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »
A bizarro-IL story.  DH told me that while he was home last month, there was a bucket in the shower.  He was like  ???  what the heck is this?  FIL said that DH should use it for collecting the water from the shower when it's heating up.  They then use the water for watering the plants.   :-X ??? ::) :P

My mom does that, with the kitchen sick, when running water to wash dishes.  She throws eggshells into the pitcher and uses the whole thing to water her plants.

Then again, our plumbing is ancient and the hot water in the kitchen takes ages to heat up, so she can get a huge pitcherfull by the time it's hot enough.  I doubt many people's plumbing is as recalcitrant as ours. ;D

« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2009, 03:27:52 PM »
My ILs are West Coast hippies, so it really shouldn't amaze me THAT much.  But in the shower?  Seriously.  I just think hell-to-the-no*.

*credit to pkmac

« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »
My ILs are West Coast hippies, so it really shouldn't amaze me THAT much.  But in the shower?  Seriously.  I just think hell-to-the-no*.

*credit to pkmac
:-*

« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2009, 01:23:15 PM »
I just saw my ticker.  Nine days until my in-laws arrive.  :-\\\\ :-X :\\\'(

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #185 on: July 27, 2009, 02:13:34 PM »

How long are they staying?

I wish we had a firm date to move into our new house - as soon as we do, I will DEFINITELY have a ticker!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »
How long are they staying?

FIL is staying for 5 days and MIL for 7 days.  :-X  Not the end of the world considering their last visits to us were for like 3 weeks each.  :P

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
FIL is staying for 5 days and MIL for 7 days.  :-X  Not the end of the world considering their last visits to us were for like 3 weeks each.  :P

That's not too bad.  :-\\\\
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish we had a firm date to move into our new house - as soon as we do, I will DEFINITELY have a ticker!

Fingers crossed for time to speed by for you!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
HA. My DH and I were discussing a friend of ours who has just bought a house with his parents (with the idea that they live in one half and he and his wife live in the other).  Now, this friend has AMAZING parents and a great relationship with them.  But, even so, we turned to each other simultaneously and said:
"We are NOT buying a house with your parents!"

I wish I wasn't 5,000 miles away from my parents, but I'm perfectly happy to be at least a few hours away from either of our parental units.

« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »
Posting in another thread, then getting up to kill a bunch of moths (sorry, I am mercifully quick in squishing them) reminded me that I really have an overdue vent here.

My In-laws and Their Crap-factories (or Reason number one why I am looking forward to our own place)

I live with my husband's parents and brother.  I am grateful that they opened their home to me, but I am not sure what they expected when I moved here. I am not going to get into everything in this post, but I am going to focus on one aspect of living with them.

They have six chinchillas (crap-factories).  They used to have eight.  Two died.  I didn't have anything to do with their deaths, and I have a solid alibi.  They are old chinchillas.  Like around 15.  It doesn't take me to push them into the cold embrace of the Grim Reaper.

I don't hate these things.  I think they are cute in a way.  My in-laws have just over done it in terms of numbers.  One or two would be fine. In fact, I could see them as endearing, soft, bundles of fur in small doses (still crap-factories, but...).  These are my brother-in-law and father-in-law's pets.  Not mine.  Not my husband's. 

One wanders around in my brother-in-law's room, chewing cables and staring at you when you take a shower.  Yes, our shower is in my BiL's room, but that is another post entirely.  One crap-factory is in the living room.  This one is relatively clean because my mother-in-law cleans his cage every other day.  Four of them, formally six, are right outside our room.

My brother-in-law doesn't clean out these cages.  I guess since they are outside our room, we are expected to do it.  They reek.  The crap goes everywhere.  I think they might be part of the reason I get so ill here.  My husband cleans them out weekly, but they really need to be done more often as they really do crap and pee a lot.

My brother-in-law is on holiday, and asked my husband to feed them.  So who feeds them?  My husband, my mother-in-law, and my father-in-law.  This overfeeding means that a lot of the food gets pushed out of the cages, they over eat and crap even more, and that moths who come with the food hatch and fly about.  My FiL has stopped feeding them, but my MiL still does it despite being asked to stop.

Even when my BiL is here, they give them raisins, which they don't always eat.  These raisins stick to the cage, get pushed out of the cage, and attract fruit flies.  The raisins that get pushed out of the cage end up on the bottom of my slippers, and conveniently help the little bits of crap stick there too.

Really, I should clean the cages.  I mean, I shouldn't, but I should.  It would be more fair to the animals, and would keep the place cleaner.  However, a lot of things in this house have ended up like this.  No one does it, so I end up taking over.  And taking care of someone else's pet, not because they are on holiday or too ill to do so, but because they are irresponsible about it gets to me.

Apparently they all ran about the flat before I came.  My obvious distaste for finding crap all over the place stopped them from doing that much.

« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2009, 03:29:36 PM »
Ewwwwwwwwww.  LA, I am really impressed you put up with that.  I can't even stand my in-laws' pets when I go visit them.  :-X
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 06:28:05 PM by geeta »

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »
Ugh. I love animals and probably have a pretty high tolerance for the mess they can make. But that is just beyond gross.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2009, 05:20:57 PM »
I pet sat for a chinchilla for a weekend, and that was too much for me to handle!  I've never dealt with a higher maintenance animal in my life, and the thought of dealing with six of them is crazy.

I'm sorry you're stuck in a no-win situation.  Perhaps one day they could "accidentally" get out? ;)

• Liked: 0
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2009, 08:59:27 AM »
I don't post much anymore but I couldn't pass up a chance at an in-law venting thread!

MIL and I have had a difficult relationship since day 1. She hates anyone that carries any extra weight and when my son was a very chubby baby she told my husband that we must put him on a diet! He was 6 months old!!!

We are having another boy due next month and when we had the sexing scan the proof that he was a  boy was AS CLEAR AS DAY, but she makes no effort to disguise how much she would prefer a granddaughter  and has informed us that she won't be buying any boy clothes because ultrasounds are usually wrong and she thinks we are having a girl. She also says she hopes this baby will be a week overdue so he (she) can be born on her birthday!

When my viroligist husband was talking to her about Swine Flu in the UK she said "I don't know if you know about this because it was before you were born and I only read about it in history books but there was a plaugue in Europe a long time ago that killed millions of people and I think Swine Flu will be like that." My husband said " Are you talking about the Bubonic Plaugue? Umm, yes I've heard about that once or twice." She said " Yes, the Bubonic Plaugue, you know about it? Swine flu will be the next Bubonic Plague."

I could go on and on, but no one wants to read 10 pages of just my rants! However last Christmas when she was visiting she would take her dirty underwear and bury them in my laundry basket without mentioning it to me so I'd end up washing her underwear. She wouldn't put any other laundry in the basket, just her underwear and act as if there was nothing weird about me washing her buried stash of dirty underwear!

At least we only see her 1-2x a year!
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab