Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The official UKY inlaw venting thread  (Read 96729 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: The official UKY inlaw venting thread
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »
I had a M-out-L that once introduced me to her family then followed it with a whispered-behind-her-hand, "she's American", as if to say, "if she just poos right there in the corner, you'll know why"  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

LOL!!!!  ;D My SIL did something similar to me at her birthday party. The bar was loud, so I asked her friend to repeat what she said because I didn't hear her, and my SIL told her friend she had to speak slooooooowly because I'm an American and don't know what anyone is saying!  :P

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »
I always forget about this thread ;D...

My SIL drives has been driving me batty since we got pregnant.  She's only 19 and has done college courses in childcare, but that is where her "expertise" ends.  However, she feels it necessary to give me baby-rearing advice every time we visit...the funny thing it's usually wrong/misinformed or completely way off base.  DH has told her several times to stop but she can't help herself!  Drives me nuts.

And then she gave us a random gift of a babygro (cute) and some bottles she picked up in Tesco - but the bottles are not appropriate for a newborn in the slightest!  I have absolutely no use for them.

Thankfully we don't see her that often.  I feel evil for saying that :P.
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

• Liked: 0
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2009, 06:47:38 PM »
My "Women's Lib in UK" post could have easily turned into a MIL rant. I don't have to deal with her often anymore (she was living here in Canada, now is back in England) but when I do it's exhausting.

She's extremely backwards in her view of gender roles. I can't count how many times I've heard "he's a man!" or "he's just a boy" as a dismissal of crappy or lazy behaviour. She often mentions how her husband has never cooked a meal, and how one time in 1991 he did the washing up! And this is with a smirk of self-satisfaction, not a grimace. She told me that I have to stop bothering DF with my concerns and just "trust him" and "follow him". Yes, she said that. This woman is only in her early 50's. She's the polar opposite to my mother.

She talks constantly. I have to interrupt occasionally so she won't think I'm a mute, but honestly it's always me interrupting. There is no lull when she's around. She thought my BIL's wife was stuck up and phony because she didn't talk much when she was around. Maybe that's because the only thing one can manage in a "conversation" with MIL is "ah" or "mmhmm". I tried.

She keeps mentioning how lovely and amazing it will be for my son to go to school in England, wear wellies, splash and run around, go on holidays, and numerous other things that he can and does do here. He's only one. Apparently she has decided for us that we're staying there permanently. Uh, we haven't even arrived yet and I have every intention of moving back to Canada eventually. She even has my day planned out as a SAHM. Take little one to school, watch some soaps, do a little cleaning and cooking, pick him up. Sounds so very fulfilling! Yes! That's definitely got me sold! CRINGE.

Every time she touts England's finer points it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. She's trying to sell me her country as a place to live for life, but at the same time insulting and insinuating that Canada is lesser-than. It's not helpful.

Ugh.

I'm sure I'll be back to this thread before long. That felt good!  :)
The past always looks better than it was. It's only pleasant because it isn't here. - Finley Peter Dunne

« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
My MIL keeps claiming that crap that she gave me (most of which I don't even want) is either stuff she "lent" to me or things she never even lent to me (ergo, I must hav e stolen).

There is only one thing of hers I want (a pink 1950s pitcher) and I woul£d never steal it. In fact, I hate most of the stuff she gave me (ex:200 pieces of assorted stemwear incliding little apritif glasses and 12 dessert bowls on stems like on that Sheba comercial back home. Or no fewer tham 30 demitisse cups. Like wtf am I(cont

« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2009, 10:06:31 PM »
(Cont)suppoded to do with those? Serve Turkish coffee to the neighbourhood? I don't know what is family "heirlooms" and what is just crap. I am afraid to ask beciase she might figure I am trying to guage what I can get rid of without causing family DRAMA. Normally, I wouldn't be so ungrateful, but when she starts to accuse me of stealing stuff, I just want to dump it all in a box and leave it ina corner of the flat.

Sorry for rambling. A bit tipsy right now.

« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2009, 07:25:25 PM »
So, there was a panic attack of manic size this morning. DH had ordered these shelves so that they could be put into the spare room so that said spare room could be used as a pantry and all around store room, and we could finally get a bed into DH's room for us, and a wardrobe for us as well. Then, I could finally-FINALLY-stop sleeping down here in the front room. ARGH! Anyways, back to this morning's panic. The shelves were delivered, and the bloke who dropped them off said that the package was heavy and that it weighed 50kg's. I just figured, "Sure, whatever." But, MIL went off, saying that if it went upstairs, it would make the ceiling fall in. And if that happened, we'd get chucked out by the council. And hopefully, DH would be able to accept responsibility. JEEZ!!!!!! Well, on the lunchtime news, there was a story about this dog that needs a good home. He weighs 75kg's. That made MIL quiet down a bit. I just feel for DH, because he tries so hard to get it all right, but.....
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Liked: 5
« Reply #261 on: November 10, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
The shelves were delivered, and the bloke who dropped them off said that the package was heavy and that it weighed 50kg's. I just figured, "Sure, whatever." But, MIL went off, saying that if it went upstairs, it would make the ceiling fall in.

Isn't that just 110 pounds?  Like less than an adult man in weight? 

• Liked: 4
« Reply #262 on: November 10, 2009, 11:27:20 PM »
My MIL sent a birthday package for me/DH (both our birthdays are this month). It contained:

- two bars of Dove soap (like broken off from a multi-bar pack)
- a small used jigsaw puzzle from Goodwill with price tag of 99 cents
- pair of fuzzy stretchy gloves for me (Goodwill)
- fleece scarf for DH (we think) (also Goodwill)
- a plaque that says 'Give us this day our daily bread' or something like that

??? ??? ??? ::) ::) ::)

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #263 on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:06 AM »
My MIL sent a birthday package for me/DH (both our birthdays are this month). It contained:

OMG! I died reading this! It reminds my of my aunt and grandmother on my father's side. They used to always send the most random stuff to me!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #264 on: November 11, 2009, 09:47:43 AM »

[smiley=laugh4.gif]

I had an aunt that used to do this too.  She always shopped at charity shops and bought useless things, and then complained that her gifts were unappreciated.  I guess yours were at least partially practical which is more than I can say for hers.  I can't wait to hear what you wrote on the thank you card.  "Yay, now we can wash our hands"?  or "Your present will make a lovely donation to our local Salvation Army"?
doing laundry

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #265 on: November 11, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »

Lol!!!  Lots of thought and love in that gift!
Well lets see- 1.) You both, obviously, smell 2.) You're obviously freezing in CT so you need gloves and a scarf 3.) You're both obviously bored, so you need to do a jigsaw puzzle and 4.) Your house obviously needs decorating so you've got a nice religious plaque to hang up  ;D

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #266 on: November 11, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »
Isn't that just 110 pounds?  Like less than an adult man in weight? 

Yup! And only a little bit heavier than my former roommate in San Diego-who was skinny as a rail because she was a pilates maniac; she was only about 125lbs!  DH and I had a great laugh about it once we worked it out properly. :D Oh dear. DH and I had a chat about it before bed last night, and he worked it out that MIL and FIL have lived so long-long enough to have relatives from the Victorian and/or Edwardian times, and so, have a totally different take on things.
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
Lol!!!  Lots of thought and love in that gift!
Well lets see- 1.) You both, obviously, smell 2.) You're obviously freezing in CT so you need gloves and a scarf 3.) You're both obviously bored, so you need to do a jigsaw puzzle and 4.) Your house obviously needs decorating so you've got a nice religious plaque to hang up  ;D

I KNOW!  She is loony!  I am so tempted to get her similar stuff for Christmas, but I just can't bring myself to do it!  The scary thing is I am sure she thought this was a very nice set of gifts for us.  :-\\\\ :-X ::)

« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »

OMG!  I can just see your face when you opened that!

« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
I KNOW!  She is loony!  I am so tempted to get her similar stuff for Christmas, but I just can't bring myself to do it!  The scary thing is I am sure she thought this was a very nice set of gifts for us.  :-\\\\ :-X ::)

The soap is the one that baffles me.  I can see her thinking the rest were well-thought out gifts, but what on Earth would prompt someone to think, "I know!  I'll send them some soap!" ???

Sponsored Links