Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The official UKY inlaw venting thread  (Read 96546 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: The official UKY inlaw venting thread
« Reply #300 on: December 01, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »
Can I complain for DH?  :)

His MIL (yep, my mother) is a melodramatic control freak. I love her, and I am used to her being ridiculous, but it was his first time to deal with it, and I felt sorry for him. She made a fuss about her low fat diet, didn't want to eat with us where we wanted to eat, we finally just went alone and got the meal we wanted, then come home to find her polishing off a huge bag of chips and dip (not low fat!) and THREE slices of leftover pie covered with squirty cream.  ::) DH wanted a burger, so we went through a drive-thru, then instead of heading to the house (we chose a drive-thru close to the house for a reason) they decided it was time to run some errands. I remind them that our food will be cold and why didn't we run the errands before hitting the drive-thru? They go to the house and we eat our burgers, but my mom hides in her bedroom and cries because of "the way I spoke to her" when really all I said was that our food was gonna get cold and why did we need to run errands right then? I didn't even yell at her. I told her I was sorry and tried to make the peace, tried to give her a hug, and she shoved me away. So we went to bed at 4:30pm because we were tired and jet-lagged and didn't come out until the next day, mainly just to avoid my mom. She didn't even speak to us the last day we were there because we were leaving, and made no effort to make conversation at DH's birthday dinner the night before. DH was cracking jokes about my mom's welcome sign... "Welcome to the ______, but don't expect a smile...."
It's funny, in a way, and we tried to laugh it off and just say it was for a week and we could go, but I was embarrassed about the way she was acting. Anyway, just thought I would rant for him, since he is too polite to rant about my mom for himself...  :)

• Liked: 4
« Reply #301 on: December 01, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
Jewlz, you may wish to visit the parent venting thread for your mother complaints...

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=56839.0

My IL issue...I just basically finished shopping for the ILs for Christmas, with only my SIL and BIL remaining.  Yesterday we rang the SIL since we were standing in the store to ask what she might want.  Today, we wake up to find she's emailed us a huge list for everyone in the entire family!  Well, obviously we are not really going out and redoing all the gifts, but I feel somewhat obligated to take a look at what she's put down and see if I should get some of them.  Grrr!  >:(

• Liked: 0
« Reply #302 on: December 01, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »
Jewlz, you may wish to visit the parent venting thread for your mother complaints...

My IL issue...I just basically finished shopping for the ILs for Christmas, with only my SIL and BIL remaining.  Yesterday we rang the SIL since we were standing in the store to ask what she might want.  Today, we wake up to find she's emailed us a huge list for everyone in the entire family!  Well, obviously we are not really going out and redoing all the gifts, but I feel somewhat obligated to take a look at what she's put down and see if I should get some of them.  Grrr!  >:(

What ever happend to the idea it's the thought that counts?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:11 PM »

That sounds like the Friends episode that I watched this morning. It was the one where all of them turned 30, and Rachel gave them all shopping lists from which to buy her presents. And her boyfriend had gotten her a scooter, and Ross said, "Stick to the list....stick to the list!" Gosh. I think giving people a list takes all the fun out of Christmas!
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2009, 02:51:07 PM »
I just got our package of Christmas gifts from MIL.  I guess she must be really bored because it's come so early.  My mother also got a basket from her.  Our package consists of:

- a Tetrapak of juice
- a jar of jam (from the Pacific Northwest)
- a packet of trail mix (the kind I hate with chocolate in it)
- a packet of bhel mix
- a Christmas potholder (square kind from the dollar store)
- a microwave omelette maker (again dollar store origin)

- for me, a glass pendant with a swirly design inside
- for DH, a glass marble with a design inside

I'm going to give it a 4 out of 10.  The last two items were what I'd consider Christmas presents.  The rest...not so much.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2009, 03:37:42 PM »
That sounds like the Friends episode that I watched this morning. It was the one where all of them turned 30, and Rachel gave them all shopping lists from which to buy her presents. And her boyfriend had gotten her a scooter, and Ross said, "Stick to the list....stick to the list!" Gosh. I think giving people a list takes all the fun out of Christmas!

Same here!  My husband's family are ALL about the amazon wishlists--so much so that his aunt and uncle made him text them several times after he had purchased and shipped their gift so they could check and see that we bought the "right" gifts.  Um, hello? It was on your wishlist!!  My husband and I are the only ones who don't have lists, but I'm sort of regretting that now, as we just opened our gift from his parents...he received money to buy himself a new flash for his camera and I received an advent calendar...which is, fine, I suppose, except before I opened it I had literally just finished explaning to my husband how my family has our own special advent tradition that doesn't use calendars the way most people do and how much I wanted to start that tradition with our (future) children.  And then I opened that gift...and immediately felt terrible and depressed all at once. Is it wrong to be annoyed that he got a check to buy himself what he wants and I got something that looks like it was regifted? 

« Reply #306 on: December 08, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
Is it wrong to be annoyed that he got a check to buy himself what he wants and I got something that looks like it was regifted? 

Not at all, but sadly you may have to get used to it. :(   
I know I will always receive lotion, and makeup items from my in laws b/c they've never had a daughter and in their mind as a girl, that is all I could ever want. 

Did they say anything about the advent calendar after you opened it?

« Reply #307 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »
Not at all, but sadly you may have to get used to it. :(   
I know I will always receive lotion, and makeup items from my in laws b/c they've never had a daughter and in their mind as a girl, that is all I could ever want. 

Did they say anything about the advent calendar after you opened it?

Luckily, only my husband was around when I opened it!  His response? "Hey, weren't you just saying you wanted one of these...?"  Not quite!

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #308 on: December 09, 2009, 08:50:29 AM »
I just got our package of Christmas gifts from MIL.  I guess she must be really bored because it's come so early.  My mother also got a basket from her.  Our package consists of:

- a Tetrapak of juice
- a jar of jam (from the Pacific Northwest)
- a packet of trail mix (the kind I hate with chocolate in it)
- a packet of bhel mix
- a Christmas potholder (square kind from the dollar store)
- a microwave omelette maker (again dollar store origin)

- for me, a glass pendant with a swirly design inside
- for DH, a glass marble with a design inside

I'm going to give it a 4 out of 10.  The last two items were what I'd consider Christmas presents.  The rest...not so much.
I'd rather have the 10 pounds it all cost, not that money is the object or anything.

My MIL thinks I'm a chocolate fiend for some reason (I do like chocolate, but I'm not addicted or anything) and I always get nasty, cheap, waxy, bitter, chocolate, the darkest possible which I hate.  This year I've gotten up the courage to add onto my wishlist (thank goodness for wishlists!) that I no longer like dark chocolate (I never really did).
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Jewlz

« Reply #309 on: December 09, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »
My MIL is usually not too terrible in the gift giving department, but she may be slipping in her old age! She bought DH a metal bottle holder for his birthday that looks like a guy playing guitar. How random is that?! Why would anyone ever need a bottle holder?! And DH doesn't play guitar or anything. Weird. I felt so sorry for him with the look of puzzlement and disapointment on his face. Poor guy. I don't even know what to do with it now. I would say give it to the charity shop, but she shops there all the time and would probably see it in there.  :-X

« Reply #310 on: December 09, 2009, 10:05:47 AM »
I think I've posted before what I have received from my inlaws, but it's not really a complete list.

My mother and father in law:
-A blue square handbag with blue fur trim.  It looks a bit like a square bowling bag, but not very big.  

-Several other handbags that aren't quite as weird, but still aren't me (including a massive leather patchwork "shopper" handbag that you're meant to be able to carry your groceries in as well)

-A shoulder blanket/cozy thing which is sort of like this, but purple, with a little flower design on the pockets, and a fringe.  It's really warm and a great gift EXCEPT she gave it to me in a box with a coordinating dressy short sleeved shirt (lighter shade of purple) which tells me thought I should wear it out of the house.  I wore it all the time in our room, but I know she always wondered why I always wore it in the house.

-a "set" of hundreds of stemware for our wedding present (which I didn't know about until we moved and had to find places for it).

-for my husband they are always getting stuff that reminds me of clothes people take photos of and send to sites like Engrish.  Usually there's nothing overtly funny about the text (and there's always text of some sort for some reason), but it's just usually off.  Like stuff like "New York Subway Pirates".  Obviously stuff using English as a decoration, and not paying too much attention to message.  Last year they got him expensive cologne....women's cologne...and instead of expensive, it was a knock off.  Not a good knock off, if you know what I mean, and I shudder to think what's in the bottle.

My sister in law has gotten me:
-An acrylic, black, furry "bedspread". It actually looks like a black fur blanket from a distance. Now, the package said kingsize, but it wouldn't cover a single from what I can see.  This has actually was an awesome present as well, because, despite being hideously ugly, it is the warmest blanket we have.  We call it "Russian sleeping furs".
-Tons of little figurines of cats and dogs.  Not really my thing.
-the first Christmas here, they forgot to get me a present, so after Christmas dinner, when I was down in the kitchen being the scullery maid, my brother-in-law brought down a cheap fleece scarf that somehow didn't make it into the wrapping.

I think the biggest problem I have with bad Christmas gifts is you feel obligated to keep them, and I am totally not someone who likes keeping a bunch of stuff I don't like or will never use in my house.

ETA:  I can't totally complain about gifts from them because my BiL and FiL usually go in on a Playstation game for Christmas (and sometimes our anniversaries).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:10:17 AM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »
LA: I just laughed and laughed at your descriptions of everything! 

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #312 on: December 09, 2009, 10:50:45 AM »
Will someone please start a Bad Gift thread!!  ;D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Jewlz

« Reply #313 on: December 09, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »
Will someone please start a Bad Gift thread!!  ;D

I started one last year! We could revive that one, if we can find it...

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #314 on: December 09, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »
I started one last year! We could revive that one, if we can find it...

You did?!? I'll have to go and look for it!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links