Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The official UKY inlaw venting thread  (Read 96048 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: The official UKY inlaw venting thread
« Reply #465 on: March 06, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »
My future mil just announced that since she paid for half of the wedding cake, she wants ALL of the left over wedding cake.   >:(

OOOR just say that you ate her half!
August 2008: Met on Facebook
February 2009: Met face-to-face in London, UK
March 2009 - September 2011: Visits back and forth
January 30, 2012: Married in Vegas
March 19, 2012: Online Application Completed
March 22, 2012: Biometrics, Docs sent (priority)
March 23, 2012: E-mail stating reception of docs
March 26, 2012: VISA ISSUED! :D
May 14, 2012: MOVING TO SHEFFIELD!
March 17, 2014: Passed Life in the UK Test!
June 14, 2014: ILR Approved!

• Liked: 5
« Reply #466 on: March 06, 2010, 11:07:45 AM »
My future mil just announced that since she paid for half of the wedding cake, she wants ALL of the left over wedding cake.   >:(

This is why you don't take money from relatives you don't get on with.

« Reply #467 on: March 06, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »

Or have an end of the night food fight with it, oh would that make her upset, you wasted it AND made a mess.   >:D

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #468 on: March 06, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
Or have an end of the night food fight with it, oh would that make her upset, you wasted it AND made a mess.   >:D
Or give everyone a really big piece so there is no cake left over at the end.  I'm sorry ImissEngland but this one really takes the cake (pardon the pun!).  I have never heard anything so cheap, mean, stingy, and selfish in my life.  What does she need with all that cake?  Honest--hide away a two pieces for you and hubby to have on your first anniversary and make sure all the rest gets eaten or ends up in a food fight that night!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #469 on: March 06, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »

She's only paid for half the wedding cake so she's only entitled to half the leftover cake.  Tell her to do the math! 
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
Helen Keller

« Reply #470 on: March 07, 2010, 11:46:12 AM »
Is this your British mil?  Because, at least in our area of England, you are supposed to mail people who did not attend a piece of the cake.  (Please, gross I know, but whatever)  So just tell them you are doing that. 

« Reply #471 on: March 07, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »
She's American and the wedding is in America. I think I'm going to make sure there is as little cake as possible left after the wedding. I bought some little boxes to send extra cake home with people. :)

now she's having a fit because the bridesmaids shoes aren't matching (df's sister is a bridesmaid).   She says everyone will be looking at the bridesmaids feet during the cerimony and it will look awful. I don't care if their shoes match or not. I wouldn't cAre if they decided to walk down barefoot!!

She ordered a "memorial candle" and wanted it front and center on the stage during the wedding. The florist was able to take some sense into her- it's going in the back near the guest book.  I haven't seen the candle yet. She showed df a pic, but not me. He was telling me about it, and I'm 99% sure my
grandparents names are spelled wrong on it! 

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #472 on: March 09, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
ImissEngland
My Brothers fiance is going through the same thing with my mom, she calls and lets them know when they are going to be having a reception and where, she tells Mel (DB's Fiance) to make sure that she has a day in mind since all of my Mothers Friends will need time to get ready for the wedding.  DW let her have it on that one, she reminded my mom in a not subtle way that it was Mel's wedding and NOT hers.
My mother was even planning the trip and who was going to come over to Switzerland for Mel's family reception.  Mel thankfully stood up to her on that one.
Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator

« Reply #473 on: March 25, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »
DF spoke to his mother about the cake and explained that the leftover cake would be divided evenly between all four parents. After the wedding, she refused to take any of the cake.  ::)

The church we got married in has a "brides room" for the bride to get ready in. There's a double sink with huge mirrors, and a special place to hang the dress and veil. It's designed to be really comfortable and relaxing.

When I arrived at the church, MIL and SIL were already in the bridesroom. MIL had hung her dress where my dress was to go, and SIL had hung her dress where my veil was to go. The entire counter/sink area was covered with their stuff, with no room for me to put my stuff.

I thought maybe they were getting ready, and then were going to clear out of the way. Almost an hour later, they and all their crap were still there. My best friend started to put my stuff on the counter and push theirs out of the way. My sister moved their dresses and hung my dress and veil up. MIL got in a snit and went and sat down in some chairs in the room.

DF's grandmother is in a wheelchair. SIL's best friend and her friend's husband (who I have met twice before) wheeled grandmother in-law into the room. At that point my mom and grandmother showed up and there was no where for them to go. They ended up going into a nearby bathroom to start getting ready.

I told my sister and friend that this was ridiculous and I wanted my mom and grandmother. They went and got them. They tried to take over more space from MIL We ate lunch, and I started getting ready (make up, getting dressed).

I went into the bathroom in the brides room and put on my spanx, bra, and slip. I came out, and the entire crowd, plus Step-FIL and five people I had never seen before were back in my getting ready area. I'm a modest person, and did not want them all to see me in my slip and bra! I was so embarrassed.  >:(  :-[ And not exactly how I was wanting to meet DH's close family friends.  :-[

I was so nervous and stressed, I just let it all go. I was trying not to have any more drama. But now looking back, I wish I had kicked MIL and her entire entourage out of there. Who does she think she is? It was my wedding, my day, and she was acting as if she was holding court in the BRIDE'S room.   >:(
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #474 on: March 25, 2010, 01:18:40 AM »
Hey you got your cake and ate it too!  ;)  You're married!  Woohooo!!

Is your MIL alive, because I would have killed her, amazing that you were able to keep it together.  Other then her, I hope the wedding was stunning and amazing!

« Reply #475 on: March 25, 2010, 07:34:18 PM »
Wow. Reading that makes me realise how lucky I am to have the MIL I have, even with all of her quirks and bits of weirdness! Hope your reception and honeymoon made you forget all of that mess!
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

« Reply #476 on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:08 PM »
I'd definitely would have wanted to kill her IME.  You must have good patience to put up with that crap.  But I know what you mean about just letting things go.  On the run up to my wedding I let people walk all over me just to avoid drama, and now I wish I hadn't.  I hope you aren't spending Christmas with the in-laws.  Major Congrats on the wedding and being married though!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #477 on: March 25, 2010, 11:19:05 PM »
Poor IME!  ((((HUG)))))  When you start a family and the child is born, I wouldn't tell anyone until it's time to leave the hospital!  I'd be afraid they would try to barge in while you're trying to give birth. LOL!

Congratulations on your wedding and blessings to you and your new hubby!

« Reply #478 on: March 26, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
Wow, IME!  :o I am so sorry that you had to endure all that crap!

Congratulations on your marriage, though!  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #479 on: March 26, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Congrats to the new Mrs. IME! 
Eeeps your MIL needs to be shot from a cannon   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab