Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The official UKY inlaw venting thread  (Read 95983 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: The official UKY inlaw venting thread
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
This may just be DH's parents, but, they use butter/margarine as a sandwich binder. WHY?! It doesn't make the sandwich taste better, it doesn't enhance it in any way, shape or form. Yeech! :|
Amor Vinicit Omnia=Love Conquers All.

« Reply #511 on: June 17, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »
It's a cultural thing.  Lucky (or unlucky) for me, I grew up with it because we're close enough to the boat to still do it so I am used to it.  Totally makes them taste better to me.

Peanut butter+butter was what I had almost every day when I came home from school as a snack.  I couldn't even look at them for years, but now I crave them occassionally. 

« Reply #512 on: June 17, 2010, 08:04:54 PM »
This may just be DH's parents, but, they use butter/margarine as a sandwich binder. WHY?! It doesn't make the sandwich taste better, it doesn't enhance it in any way, shape or form. Yeech! :|

Everyone does this here.  My mil claims it is to stop the bread getting soggy from tomatoes.  Even though she doesn't use tomatoes.  YUCK!

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #513 on: June 17, 2010, 08:17:35 PM »
I hate the buttered sandwich thing too.  It would be bad enough if it were real butter, but my in-laws use that nasty fake spread, and they put it a good quarter-inch thick on both pieces of bread.  Then they add salad cream and processed ham, and that's their idea of a sandwich.  Since I hate 1) spread, 2) salad cream, 3) processed ham, and 4) the limp white bread they put it on, things used to get a bit awkward around lunchtime when I lived with them! 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #514 on: June 17, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
Peanut butter+butter was what I had almost every day when I came home from school as a snack.  I couldn't even look at them for years, but now I crave them occassionally. 

That's the only way I can eat a PB sandwich! I need butter on cheese sandwiches too. But when it turns up on my tuna mayo sandwich ...  :-X
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Heart...Captured
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #515 on: June 17, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
And Brits think peanut butter and jam is weird??  LOL.  I never understood the butter on bread thing either...especially when you use also use a different "sauce" (like mayo or whatever).  Yucky!

« Reply #516 on: June 17, 2010, 08:57:31 PM »
When I was in College I had a friend visit from Wisconsin and we went to Subway & she asked for butter on her sandwich...the person behind the counter just looked at her like she had 2 heads or something.

« Reply #517 on: June 17, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »
I wouldn't put it on tuna, but my nain's meatloaf, butter, and ketchup was one of my favourite sandwiches as a kid.  Some deli meat is good with it, but I don't do really processed meat if I can avoid it.

Tomato sandwiches have to have mayo unless the bread is toasted.  If it is, I add butter.  Buttered toasted bread is good with salad sandwiches, too.

I guess I am weird. ;)

« Reply #518 on: June 18, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »
I don't like this butter thing either.  :P But PB and Butter reminds me of my grandma and I adore it.  Especially if it's on white bread.  ;)
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• Liked: 19
« Reply #519 on: June 18, 2010, 01:33:36 AM »
When I was in College I had a friend visit from Wisconsin and we went to Subway & she asked for butter on her sandwich...the person behind the counter just looked at her like she had 2 heads or something.

My ex used to complain about his grandma putting butter on sandwiches all the time.  Whenever she'd make a bunch for the guys to take out with them while they were hunting/fishing, etc., they'd always tell her not to put butter on them.  And yet... when they sat down to eat them, the first thing they'd have to do was open them up and peel off the slab of butter inside. :)

Personally, I've never liked butter on sandwiches, or even just bread & butter.  This is something the lunch ladies at my elementary school seemed to take personally, for some reason.

But, then again, we do love our dairy products. :p

« Reply #520 on: June 18, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »
We do have peanut butter in the house(I bought my own jar, and it's in the cupboard), so I shall have to try this combination of margarine spread with peanut butter. I can't have real butter, as I'm lactose intolerant. MiL won't even touch the jar of peanut butter, though. I don't understand it. Probably, again, just my MiL.  ::)

« Reply #521 on: June 19, 2010, 10:19:23 AM »
Peanut butter is definitely not as popular here as in the States.  I think when I was living with the inlaws, only my brother-in-law and I would eat it.  He always ate it "savoury" on toast with no jam.  Even he thought it was weird when I'd spread it on apple slices or make a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  My husband hates peanut butter, but likes peanuts.

You totally might not be able to bear the peanut butter and butter sandwich.  I don't know if I could if I hadn't grown up on it.

« Reply #522 on: June 19, 2010, 09:21:31 PM »
Peanut butter is definitely not as popular here as in the States.  I think when I was living with the inlaws, only my brother-in-law and I would eat it.  He always ate it "savoury" on toast with no jam.  Even he thought it was weird when I'd spread it on apple slices or make a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  My husband hates peanut butter, but likes peanuts.

You totally might not be able to bear the peanut butter and butter sandwich.  I don't know if I could if I hadn't grown up on it.

They have a story, where DH whinged, mythered and begged for a jar of peanut butter, because he'd seen it on Charlie Brown. And then he ate some, and he couldn't bear it at all. That probably has a lot to do with it. DH doesn't mind peanuts themselves, but, he could live with out them. He prefers pistachios.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #523 on: June 20, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
My MIL bought some new towels, but didn't bother to wash them before first use. This means they don't absorb and I was covered with brown lint after I 'dried' off. I thought about jumping back in the shower to rinse off, but that would start a vicious cycle!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #524 on: June 20, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
Sigh. J's parents invited him over for a father's day meal. 1.) They didn't invite me. Again. They never invite me when they're having a "special meal".  I don't get it.  >:( >:(
2.) J's way too much of a *bleep* to say when his mum calls to say "oh great, can Laura come?" "or "Laura and I will be over at 6", etc.  3.) I asked him if he was coming over to my house after the meal and he was like "I'm not sure, depends on the time, as I will be drinking and I can't drive over there" and I was like "Well don't your parents have to drive your brother home anyways?  Can't you ask them to drop you off here?" and J was like "Errr... well.... no.... you know what my parents are like...."  Really, what are they like? They blinkin hate me is what they're like!!!!   >:( >:( >:( >:(
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab