Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Letter of support for visiting family member w/ no prior entry clearance  (Read 1056 times)

• Liked: 0
My girlfriend came to visit me at Christmas. She had a bit of hassle, I got a call from the airport and I really really failed!!!! (she is a young american, 22 years old)

1) I couldn't remember how to spell her surname (it a weird one oechsle pronounced x-ley!!)

2) she had very little money on her (being a nice gentlemen I was paying for her while she was here

3) I forgot what she was studying (they asked me I presume to make sure I wasn't lying about knowing her) (i had a fair idea, but I wasn't spot on with my answer)

4) I was NOT at the airport as planned, she arrived at like 7am which meant me being up at like 4am to meet her.... I overslept!!!!! (The person on the phone was like "you are not a nice person to visit if you cannot make it on time - I felt like such a fool haha)

For these reasons they kept her back and would not allow me to speak to her, I rang 3 times to let them know my progress (how long it would take me to get there etc etc). They asked me a few questions about her and asked if I could support her financially while she was here, which I confirmed verbally on my mobile phone, no proof was required. After 3 hours she was let "free" lol, before I even got there.

I learned my lesson. IMHO you will be fine as long as you give her a mobile to contact you on. If she does have problems, they will contact you to confirm her reasons for visiting and will probably want you to confirm you can support her while she is visiting. Although my girlfriend had a return ticket she was NOT asked to present it.

If she can get through after I failed so bad I am sure you will be fine. Good luck. This was at Manchester airport btw.
02/02/10: Settlement Visa - Fiancée accepted
15/05/10: Married in England
13/07/10: FLR(M) Visa granted

Okay, sorry but I have to admit my ignorance. What is broken eyeline style?!

Broken eyeline = theatrical style where the actor addresses another character but faces the audience and the dialog is intended to inform the audience, hence "broken eyeline".  It's a fine technique in Wagnerian opera, but when undertaken by amateurs, the result is mawkishly embarrassing.

"...oh my darling, you are an American and I am British, and our relationship has blossomed to the extent that we must now meet in person.  In view of this, I herewith extend to you an offer of hospitality to receive you at my normal place of residence in Doncaster which, as you know my darling, has been secured by a 6 month rolling tenancy agreement and is fully compliant with the Housing Act of 1985.  And yes, my cupcake, together we have observed that BA Flight 4948 will leave your locale at..."

It's silly.  It's contrived and insulting.  So avoid it.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Quality!  ROFLMAO!!!!

;D

Vicky

;D

You would, no doubt, have seen your fill of these... 

I can see how that'd be annoying to the ECO, but that just made my day picturing that happening say, in Birmingham or somesuch--I have an active imagination, and it made me laugh :)
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
 :D Ahhhh gotcha! And yes I can see where that could be very annoying!

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
The letter I had from Tim just stated that he was inviting me to visit from x to x and was going to provide me with room and board at his address and then mentioned he was full time employed and he stated in the letter he was picking me up at the airport and gave his mobile number.

That was all I needed. 
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Liked: 5
My sister has been visiting me since she was 16 (now 21).  I have always told her to be very attentive to their queries and answer honestly (i.e she is visiting her sister who lives in the UK).  She has always carried her return ticket details and my address/contact details.  She has never been questioned for longer than about 30 seconds.  They have never asked her any follow up questions or called me. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab