Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: They said NO(Letter from Agency)  (Read 1617 times)

• God only knows what i'd be without you
  • Liked: 0
They said NO(Letter from Agency)
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »
I'm beyond furious now.

The let agency send Df a letter and he opened it this morning to find that the landlord and agency were informing him that they would not be giving me permission, ever, to live in the house. This means when we talked to them they knew they had sent the letter and just lied to us about not knowing.

Now our only hope is that DF's parents let me stay there until we can get a new apartment. He's supposed to go over there tomorrow to talk to them. He also went into town today to look for a new place but hasn't found anything yet.

We're both so angry. He told me he was glad they were closed today because he probably would have gotten his ass kicked out of the office for causing a scene. I told him I was glad I wasn't there yet and that it's going to be hard not to go in there, once I am, and have a "super toxic freak out".  [smiley=bigcry.gif]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:13:18 PM by Mindy »

Re: They said NO(Letter from Agency)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 09:42:09 PM »
Pardon my French, but that's an absolute load of bollocks, if they said one thing to his face but another in the letter :-X If they didn't want to give you permission, fair enough I suppose, but they should of been up front with you two, instead of jerking you guys around. Maybe it's for the best to go someplace else if that's how they choose to conduct business :(

It can still be sorted out though, it'll just take a little extra work is all, but it can be fixed still now that you know for sure what the landlord's answer is. But yeah, I prolly would of made a scene too, if I was your fiance :(
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:47:12 PM »
Unbelievable.  They obviously don't care about keeping your fiance as a tenant, weird with the economy the way it is.  This completely sucks for your application, but at least you know what kind of a**holes run that agency now, and can rent from decent people in the future. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
WTF, man? What would they have to lose by letting you live there too? And now they are losing a tenant for no reason. That sucks beyond words. Wish I had something else to say. I think generally it's fine to live with family for a few months while on spousal visa, if his family writes a letter saying they are willing to put you up and they provide a tenancy or mortgage agreement or what have you. I think you are only allowed to live with them for 6 months, I believe. I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »
It's fine assuming they are in a position to allow it (they own the house) and you'll have a bedroom to yourself. It's perfectly fine and a lot of people do the same.

I'm just surprised you put yourself through so much misery with this since I'd have gone the parents/relatives route at the first sign of friction from the agency.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:36:56 PM »
It's fine assuming they are in a position to allow it (they own the house) and you'll have a bedroom to yourself. It's perfectly fine and a lot of people do the same.

I'm just surprised you put yourself through so much misery with this since I'd have gone the parents/relatives route at the first sign of friction from the agency.

I obviously didn't put myself through this intentionally. I wanted to try, at all costs, to live with my fiancé. I think a majority of us would chose this option first. I feel like I can hardly be blamed. 

• My Blog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 01:24:49 AM »
It's a shame it came to this, though. Others are right, the letting agency/owner should have been more upfront. Now, as a result, they lose a tenant. What they did to you guys was quite unprofessional.

Also, I don't think Mort was having a go (forgive me Mort if I'm misinterpreting), I think everyone just goes about their own visa journey in a different way. The best way is to make sure all your "homework" is done before attending biometrics and submitting your docs.

The unlucky part in your case was that your fiance's landlord allowed him to believe that it wouldn't be an issue for you to live there with him, and then they ended up putting you both through the ringer. I don't fault either of you for that, but in hindsight, it may have been better to just re-schedule the biometrics appointment until you received word from your fiance about your housing options. This would have allowed you two weeks from the date you attended your biometrics appointment to get your docs to the consulate. Still, it's hard to evaluate whether or not something like that will fall through.

That being said, you DO still have time if you're able to convince his parents to help you out. (Someone correct me if I am wrong that they could fax this proof in the form of a signed letter and then mail her the original) Even if they can give you the permission and they understand it is only temporary, it doesn't mean you HAVE to stay with them until you're married. If you end up with them just a week and your fiance finds a suitable accomodation for the two of you, nothing is stopping you from then moving out and into a place with him.

The idea behind getting their permission is to allow you to at least submit your application and documents with proof of a place for you to stay that won't require you to be supported by benefit of public funds or otherwise cause you to overcrowd the property. Even better if you end up finding a place for yourselves in this time.
23 Jan 06 - Met Online
17 Jul 07 - ENGAGED!!! :-D
30 Jun 08 - Applied for Fiance Visa
22 Jul 08 - Received Visa
01 Aug 08 - Arrived in UK!
01 Nov 08 - MARRIED!!!
03 Nov 08 - In-person FLR(M) - GRANTED!!

19 Dec 09 - 1st son born :)

02 Oct 10 - KOL Passed
26 Oct 10 - ILR app (posted Special Delivery)
27 Oct 10 - online tracking confirmed delivery
30 Oct 10 - Confirmation via post
15 Nov 10 - ILR granted/documents returned!!!

05 Nov 13 - 1st daughter born :)

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 04:50:39 AM »
It's a shame it came to this, though. Others are right, the letting agency/owner should have been more upfront. Now, as a result, they lose a tenant. What they did to you guys was quite unprofessional.

Also, I don't think Mort was having a go (forgive me Mort if I'm misinterpreting), I think everyone just goes about their own visa journey in a different way. The best way is to make sure all your "homework" is done before attending biometrics and submitting your docs.

The unlucky part in your case was that your fiance's landlord allowed him to believe that it wouldn't be an issue for you to live there with him, and then they ended up putting you both through the ringer. I don't fault either of you for that, but in hindsight, it may have been better to just re-schedule the biometrics appointment until you received word from your fiance about your housing options. This would have allowed you two weeks from the date you attended your biometrics appointment to get your docs to the consulate. Still, it's hard to evaluate whether or not something like that will fall through.

That being said, you DO still have time if you're able to convince his parents to help you out. (Someone correct me if I am wrong that they could fax this proof in the form of a signed letter and then mail her the original) Even if they can give you the permission and they understand it is only temporary, it doesn't mean you HAVE to stay with them until you're married. If you end up with them just a week and your fiance finds a suitable accomodation for the two of you, nothing is stopping you from then moving out and into a place with him.

The idea behind getting their permission is to allow you to at least submit your application and documents with proof of a place for you to stay that won't require you to be supported by benefit of public funds or otherwise cause you to overcrowd the property. Even better if you end up finding a place for yourselves in this time.

What I think people either don't know or are forgetting is that I didn't have the luxury of waiting to apply and having my bios done. I didn't take months ahead of time to research or do my "homework" because I didn't have that time. We had always done the research for the past few months on getting DF HERE!

I was put in a bad situation and decided that I would move to england now instead of my Fiancee coming here. I had a ticket purchased for the 24th already (DF's bday is the 25th) and had every intention of coming back to the US on the 30th. However, things change. We decided I should just come there because of some terrible things that have gone on here in the USA. I'm not going to divulge them because they are personal and painful.

I knew everything I needed to have before sending in my application, but I also never thought in a million years that we would get the run around like this. I did my research and I knew what I had to do and when. I knew there was a route we could take with his parents but, we wanted to make sure this was an absolute LAST RESORT!

I'm sorry if I'm coming off defensive but I really don't think that doing "homework" has anything to do with the position I find myself in. I had all my ducks in a row and was waiting on one duck, that pardon my french, decided to f*ck me.

This was the way I went about my visa journey.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 05:24:37 AM »
What I think people either don't know or are forgetting is that I didn't have the luxury of waiting to apply and having my bios done. I didn't take months ahead of time to research or do my "homework" because I didn't have that time. We had always done the research for the past few months on getting DF HERE!

I was put in a bad situation and decided that I would move to england now instead of my Fiancee coming here. I had a ticket purchased for the 24th already (DF's bday is the 25th) and had every intention of coming back to the US on the 30th. However, things change. We decided I should just come there because of some terrible things that have gone on here in the USA. I'm not going to divulge them because they are personal and painful.

I knew everything I needed to have before sending in my application, but I also never thought in a million years that we would get the run around like this. I did my research and I knew what I had to do and when. I knew there was a route we could take with his parents but, we wanted to make sure this was an absolute LAST RESORT!

I'm sorry if I'm coming off defensive but I really don't think that doing "homework" has anything to do with the position I find myself in. I had all my ducks in a row and was waiting on one duck, that pardon my french, decided to f*ck me.

This was the way I went about my visa journey.

Yeah I think you, pardon my french, got screwed. As tough as it's all been just remember that love will always find a way. Wish you the best of luck and be sure to keep us updated on how things go from here.
Yes it is a bit overwhelming at times, but when I think of her it all becomes just small things for me to overcome.

Met Lynsey online 2008.
Real life meeting planned for June or July 2009.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 05:37:21 AM »
I think if you can get a letter and mortgage/rental paperwork from your fiance's parents, he can fax them to you so they can be submitted with your application at least. You could just explain in a letter that you have originals but they need to be sent from the UK, and you can forward them onto your courier--kinda like what you were going to do with the letter from the landlord, if I remember rightly.

I really hate professionals that do that though--tell you one thing one minute, then 10 minutes later they tell you something else. I've had doctors and nurses do that to me when I went on interviews for CMA positions; they'd say they wanted more interviews with me, and that they'd schedule it for the next week when the doctor was available. Then when they wouldn't call back to schedule the second interview, I'd track them down and they'd tell me that they had already filled the position--the second interview stuff was a load of crap, they were just saying it to get me out of the office. It sounds almost like they were jerking you guys around a bit, since they prolly knew long ago they weren't going to let you stay, but they didn't come out and say it :(
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:42:25 AM »
I obviously didn't put myself through this intentionally. I wanted to try, at all costs, to live with my fiancé. I think a majority of us would chose this option first. I feel like I can hardly be blamed. 

Hun,

Who's blaming you? Of course they were idjeets for jerking you around, I'm just saying that you showing that you can live together in a bedroom at his parents' is gonna be a perfectly fine solution as far as your app is concerned. Tons of people write exactly the same thing, including yours truly even though we didn't end up living even a single day with my FIL.

They just need to know that accomodation without overcrowding is available to you. Which is it: your own flat, or a room with the relatives, just doesn't really matter all that greatly.

I was just trying to reassure you, is all, that while it does suck where real life is concerned, when it comes to your app which, as I understand, at right this moment, is your priority, you'll meed the burden of proof without a problem.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 07:42:47 AM »
I think if you can get a letter and mortgage/rental paperwork from your fiance's parents, he can fax them to you so they can be submitted with your application at least. You could just explain in a letter that you have originals but they need to be sent from the UK, and you can forward them onto your courier--kinda like what you were going to do with the letter from the landlord, if I remember rightly.

I really hate professionals that do that though--tell you one thing one minute, then 10 minutes later they tell you something else. I've had doctors and nurses do that to me when I went on interviews for CMA positions; they'd say they wanted more interviews with me, and that they'd schedule it for the next week when the doctor was available. Then when they wouldn't call back to schedule the second interview, I'd track them down and they'd tell me that they had already filled the position--the second interview stuff was a load of crap, they were just saying it to get me out of the office. It sounds almost like they were jerking you guys around a bit, since they prolly knew long ago they weren't going to let you stay, but they didn't come out and say it :(

Yeah this is what I plan to do. DF scanned everything tonight and is going to send them to me. We're trying to figure out how he can print a label to send me everything via Fedex overnight on Tuesday.

<3

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 07:45:02 AM »

Hun,

Who's blaming you? Of course they were idjeets for jerking you around, I'm just saying that you showing that you can live together in a bedroom at his parents' is gonna be a perfectly fine solution as far as your app is concerned. Tons of people write exactly the same thing, including yours truly even though we didn't end up living even a single day with my FIL.

They just need to know that accomodation without overcrowding is available to you. Which is it: your own flat, or a room with the relatives, just doesn't really matter all that greatly.

I was just trying to reassure you, is all, that while it does suck where real life is concerned, when it comes to your app which, as I understand, at right this moment, is your priority, you'll meed the burden of proof without a problem.

Sorry I'm stressed and taking everything to heart because of it. I really appreciate all the support and advice you've given me.

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 03:23:06 PM »
Gina Clayton describes a formula wherein a settlement application can succeed despite a landlord's refusal to accommodate.  While I can agree that it works 'on paper', it's not a strategy to attempt without a solid professional representing you. 

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
Gina Clayton describes a formula wherein a settlement application can succeed despite a landlord's refusal to accommodate.  While I can agree that it works 'on paper', it's not a strategy to attempt without a solid professional representing you. 

?

Does this have to do with getting my In Laws letting me live with them til we get our own place?

Sponsored Links