Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How to deal with US passport application as a US-UK dual citizen?  (Read 5838 times)

• Liked: 0
I'm a US citizen by birth, and have recently naturalised as a UK citizen after living in the UK for three years with my British husband.  I've just received my UK passport (yay), but now I need to apply for new pages in my US passport. 

The application form for this includes the following statement: "I have not, since acquiring United States citizenship/nationality, been naturalized as a citizen of a foreign state; taken an oath or made an affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state ... ". 

Presumably other people on this forum have been in the same situation, and how have you dealt with this particular part of the US passport application?  The instructions say, "If any of the below–mentioned acts or conditions have been performed by or apply to the applicant, the portion which applies should be lined out, and a supplementary explanatory statement under oath (or affirmation) by the applicant should be attached and made a part of this application". 

As someone who has been naturalised as a citizen of another country (with absolutely no intention of giving up my US citizenship) and taken an oath of allegiance, what should my explanatory statement say?  Does it have to be notarised?

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Re: How to deal with US passport application as a US-UK dual citizen?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:39:48 PM »
I just renewed my US passport through the US Embassy in London.  Couldn't have been easier!

I scored through the "...been naturalised as a citizen of a foreign state..." bit of the application and included a single-page statement, that said something along the lines of:

I, MrsRichUK, acquired British Citizenship on XX date as the spouse of a British Citizen.  It was not my intention to relinquish my US Citizenship when I naturalised as a British Citizen.

Signed and Dated

It does not need to be notarised or witnessed.

I also detailed in my covering letter all of the documentation that was enclosed (including copy of my naturalisation certificate and the above-mentioned statement) with my renewal application just to make sure it was clear that this extra bit applied.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:53:35 PM by MrsRichUK »
Not MrsRichUK anymore!  :-)

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »
Yup, you just need to inform them that you did acquire a foreign Citizenship but didn't intend to give up your US one by doing so. MrsRichUK's process sounds about the most straight forward as possible.
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 04:23:13 PM »
Ooh thanks, I'll make a note of this for when I renew mine.
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 08:47:05 AM »
Thanks for the really helpful info, MrsRichUK!

• Have I really been here 4 years?!
    • Cakes by Rach - custom cakes for any occasion
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
We just renewed my son's US passport, and he has dual citizenship, and we did the same type of thing and had absolutley no problems!

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
One more thing ... does anyone know if the oath at the UK citizenship ceremony counts as a declaration of allegiance to a foreign state (in the eyes of the US gov)?  And do I really have to report this on my US passport application?

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:02:58 AM »
You do have to take an oath of allegiance to her Majesty The Queen and her heirs and successors.  If you are not prepared to take the oath then I am afraid that you cannot naturalise.

(and Happy Birthday, Your Majesty).

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 02:26:11 AM »
One more thing ... does anyone know if the oath at the UK citizenship ceremony counts as a declaration of allegiance to a foreign state (in the eyes of the US gov)?  And do I really have to report this on my US passport application?

If it does, I don't think it matters much in terms of your US citizenship--you would have to go out of your way to revoke it through a US embassy I believe. I think there's loads of people who have taken the oath but still retain US citizenship, so in the end it might not matter, but I'm not 100% sure. It'd be the same principal as a Brit taking a citizenship oath at their US citizenship ceremony--they still retain their British citizenship I believe.

But it does look like you have to report it on the application that you underwent a naturalization ceremony, but like MrsRichUK did, she just explained what she did on the application.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
If it does, I don't think it matters much in terms of your US citizenship--you would have to go out of your way to revoke it through a US embassy I believe. I think there's loads of people who have taken the oath but still retain US citizenship, so in the end it might not matter, but I'm not 100% sure. It'd be the same principal as a Brit taking a citizenship oath at their US citizenship ceremony--they still retain their British citizenship I believe.

But it does look like you have to report it on the application that you underwent a naturalization ceremony, but like MrsRichUK did, she just explained what she did on the application.

Kittenfish is right. Yes, you do have to report it and no it doesn't matter. There are very specific ways you can lose US citizenship and when it comes to naturalizing in another country, you only lose it if you naturalize with the intent to relinquish your US citizenship. The way you communicate that intent is make a declaration to a US consular employee. So unless you go to the Embassy or the Consulate and TELL them you want to give it up, you won't have to give it up.

In simpler terms, US doesn't care what you tell others re: loyalty, etc. If you want to relinquish your citizenship, they want to hear it directly from you.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

Sponsored Links