Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello  (Read 1185 times)

Hello
« on: January 27, 2003, 04:41:01 PM »
Hi, I'm Michelle. I moved to Basingstoke in October of 2000 to be with my partner, Richard. We have four children between us; I have two older boys (Michael, 15, who lives in the States and Christopher, 14, who lives with us), Richard has a little girl (Emma, 4 who lives with us part-time) and our new addion (Nicholas, who will be one next Sunday). Whew. Sounds like a Reader's Digest version of "Yours Mine and Ours".
Moved here from Seattle via a brief stint in Eugene, Or. So far I've really enjoyed being here although the dearth of Americans in my area is a pisser. Before I moved I thought London would be terrifically close - only 40 miles! - and I could go in all the time for whatever. After being here, I understand why most people, if not actually living in London, get in rarely - the price of gas is mind-blowing! I'm not working (Yet, yet, yet) but am hoping to get the green-light from the Home Office soon (Suuuuureee ...and piggies will fly!)
We're almost in the process of moving to a little village outside Reading and I'm hoping life will improve on the social front once we're outta Basingstoke. ;D  ;D
There's more, but I've got coffee on.  Want some?

Cheers,
Michelle
« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 05:57:04 PM by chelle »

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 06:20:46 PM »
LOL, hello michelle...or chelle...  I am michele or shel on here so as not be confused with the other michelle, who is not you but also here...  LOL!

Welcome to UKY!... I see that Basingstoke is also located in the south.  One day there will be at least one or two more to move north... keeping fingers crossed...but not holding my breath...  I will be heading to Northumberland once my fiance and I get married...  way up northeast there.

anyway...glad to have you aboard...  

shel

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 07:29:18 PM »
Hi there,
I've been meaning to join this site for some time now and finally have done it. I notice that I need to since there appears to be a dearth of us in the North. I recently completed my PhD in linguistics and am going to be starting a postdoctoral research position at the University of York.

Lest I immediately offend by suggesting that York is actually north, Let me say  I've been instructed that it isn't really by my partner, who's from Morpeth in Northumberland. I'm originally from South Bend, but have lived most recently for about 6 years in Boulder and Denver, CO.

Not sure what else to do to introduce myself; will probably be needing lots of help in the near future re: healthcare etc. Although I lived here all last year it was just as an extended visitor. Once my work permit stuff goes through I'll need to figure out how to act like a citizen!

Best,
Traci

PS
So, Shel, where in Northumberland will you be living?

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 09:35:14 PM »
Wooohooo Traci...  I will be 6 miles north of Morpeth on the A1 in a little place called Bywell, which is a part of Felton.

When I read the words Morpeth, thought I would faint...  LOL, although you all are not there actually...  Someone here really knows the name... my Tom loves York and considers it a nice daytrip on the bike during the warmer months...  he goes to the bike shows down there often... so I am sure I will have the pleasure also of visiting York...

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

Sponsored Links