Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa for Widowed Parent  (Read 1344 times)

Re: Visa for Widowed Parent
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 02:52:23 PM »
Though if all the assets were transfered to the Child say 3 months prior to the visa application and thereby making the parent dependant on the child for support and maint. (its working the system I know, but I've not read anywhere it says that you can't do it), would they then qualify for the visa?

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work at all, since she obviously wouldn't be financially dependent on you.  The UK doesn't like the idea of chain migration, which is why this visa is so hard to get.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  Although if she rents out the house instead, that might put her back into being financially dependent on me.  

Though if all the assets were transfered to the Child say 3 months prior to the visa application and thereby making the parent dependant on the child for support and maint. (its working the system I know, but I've not read anywhere it says that you can't do it), would they then qualify for the visa?

I was going to ask that, but I thought it might somehow be illegal to just hand the money over.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »
I was going to ask that, but I thought it might somehow be illegal to just hand the money over.

For sure there would be tax implications...of which I really have no clue whatsoever. But, I'm sure a professional immigration adviser could answer that question...In my former life I had it happen all the time (working in MediCal and Medicaid for the State of California) so my clients could make themselves eligible for coverage. I would be almost positive that there is something that could be done...but I will be the first to admit that I have no qualifications to back that up with, just a knowledge of the way bureaucracy works and how to cut through red tape...and then there's allways the adage of 'when there's a will there's a way'.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »
For sure there would be tax implications...of which I really have no clue whatsoever. But, I'm sure a professional immigration adviser could answer that question...In my former life I had it happen all the time (working in MediCal and Medicaid for the State of California) so my clients could make themselves eligible for coverage. I would be almost positive that there is something that could be done...but I will be the first to admit that I have no qualifications to back that up with, just a knowledge of the way bureaucracy works and how to cut through red tape...and then there's allways the adage of 'when there's a will there's a way'.

I think for tax purposes, there's a difference between a gift and an inheritance, but like you, I'm no expert. I know my aunt's lawyer was very specific in how she worded a few things she wanted other family members to have so we wouldn't have to pay the inheritance tax, but I don't know how that translates to money.  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:24:18 PM by BeccaJaneStClair »

Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »
There seem to be enough people for an advisory.  Leave this with me and I'll work on something over the next week.

Vicky

• Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »
thanks so much vicky!

i am in this boat as well, since my parents are divorced and i am an only child.  my mother literally can't stop crying at the thought of me living long-term in another country, so i'm really hoping one day there may be a way to bring her over with us.  i hate the idea of her one day being in a nursing home with no one to visit her and check up on her care.  it keeps me awake at nights :(

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
There seem to be enough people for an advisory.  Leave this with me and I'll work on something over the next week.

Vicky

Thanks Vicky! it's really appreciated!

thanks so much vicky!

i am in this boat as well, since my parents are divorced and i am an only child.  my mother literally can't stop crying at the thought of me living long-term in another country, so i'm really hoping one day there may be a way to bring her over with us.  i hate the idea of her one day being in a nursing home with no one to visit her and check up on her care.  it keeps me awake at nights :(

My mom doesn't cry about it, but that's because she assumed we'd be able to move her over at some point...I think if I had to tell her there wasn't a way to do it it would break her heart. 

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »
I think the important thing here is for no-one to get their hopes up.  It really is an extremely difficult category.

Vicky

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »
I think the important thing here is for no-one to get their hopes up.  It really is an extremely difficult category.

Vicky

for very good reasons, IMO.

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 04:50:38 PM »
for very good reasons, IMO.

Agreed. Though they could have kept the retired person of independent means one though.
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
Agreed. Though they could have kept the retired person of independent means one though.

Did they leave the investor visa open? 

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »
Did they leave the investor visa open? 

There's a Tier 1 investor, yes.  But it requires a million pounds! 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 06:51:10 PM »
There's a Tier 1 investor, yes.  But it requires a million pounds! 

Well, I suppose the government was thinking that was fair enough because an older person who comes here could wind up costing the NHS and the state a whole lot of money and they'll not have paid into the system.

I think that's their logical behind it, but not sure.

Also, they could come back and say to the relative of an applicant that he/she is able to return to his/her home country to care for the ageing relative, could they not?

Probably could use the human rights thing to appeal that, but it wouldn't surprise me if they gave that sort of response.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »
Well, I suppose the government was thinking that was fair enough because an older person who comes here could wind up costing the NHS and the state a whole lot of money and they'll not have paid into the system.

I see your point, but a million pounds seems excessive.  Besides, my understanding is that it's a million pounds to invest, so maintenance funds would necessarily be separate. 

I think a good solution would be to have a visa for aging parents of settled migrants, who are able to show that they have sufficient funds to pay for non-emergent medical care, either from their own savings or from the migrant they wish to live with. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
We have thought about bringing my Mother over in the past.  My parents have been divorced for 30+ years and I 'm an only child.  In addition, she lives in gov't assisted housing and is on Medicaid. 
The plan last year was once we bought our house we would look into bringing her over.  However, DH lost his job.  When he gets a new job and we get a house that will accommodate all of us (plus build our savings back up) we will look into it. 

Sponsored Links