Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Switching visas - now or later  (Read 328 times)

• all married n' stuff
  • Liked: 0
Switching visas - now or later
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:57:29 PM »
I am on a student visa for a course that will end in May 2011.  I am newly engaged to another American here on a work permit, who is in the process of switching to the new system and should have no problems.  When I get married this time next year, would it be best to keep my current visa as I will still be enrolled at university and qualify for it, or should we be thinking about switching me to another visa as his dependent?
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Switching visas - now or later
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
If you want to switch to being his dependent you would have to leave the UK, which may be a factor in your decision.

How long has he been in the UK and do you intend to settle here?

Vicky

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
Leaving the UK is not necessarily a big deal, but it would depend on how long I suppose.

We have both been living here together for a year and a half, and don't know how long we want to stay.  I suppose we should keep our options open.

Being married in itself doesn't change anything immigration-wise does it?  As long as we are both on current visas?  It will be a destination wedding in Tortola.
If you can't say something nice, say something constructive.  If you can't say something nice or constructive, go away.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »
No, you are under no obligation to switch if you don't want to.

The only advantage is that if you do, you will be eligible for ILR at the same time he is, regardless of the length of time you have been here.

Vicky

• all married n' stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:11:30 AM »
Thanks Vicky!  Will discuss...

Sponsored Links