Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tier 1 Refusal  (Read 510 times)

• Liked: 0
Tier 1 Refusal
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
My boyfriend and I applied for Tier 1 visas at the same time—he got his, but I was denied (they didn’t like my proof of income).

Now I’d like to reapply as his dependent, and I’m wondering what I can do to make my acceptance as sure a thing as possible.  We’ve been together for nearly five years, and have a lease on our current apartment that we both signed in August of 2007.  We’re trying to figure out if we’re better off waiting until August and applying as unmarried partners, or doing a court-house wedding so we have the marriage certificate?

Will they hold it against me that I just got denied for my own Tier 1 and then immediately after am applying as a dependent?  I know I’ll technically qualify in either of those situations, but I want to do the one that raises the least suspicion and leaves the least chance they’ll turn me down because they don’t believe our relationship is legit!

Thanks!

Re: Tier 1 Refusal
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
If they decide that the relationship is a sham, a marriage certificate will make no difference.  Applicants in a sham marriage present a valid marriage certificate just like applicants in a real marriage. 

And if they decide that it's a genuine relationship, then being legally married or not will make no difference. 

Based upon what you briefly wrote, I can't see there's a big risk of refusal, and the choice is basically down to what you're comfortable with.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
Thank you!

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:18:19 AM »
All that will matter is how good is the combined proof of maintenence to support you, and how good is the evidence of cohabitation over the last two years.  If they are good, you don't need to marry just for visa purposes.

Vicky

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:53:50 AM »
Thanks so much--I feel so much better hearing this from experts.

Are there particular cohabitation documents you recommend presenting in addition to our lease? We're not on any bills together.

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 12:56:11 AM »
Read the guidance on unmarried partners or even ILR as a spouse...that will give a good indication of what is needed.

Vicky

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 01:06:07 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the tip! I've been looking specifically within the Tier 1 dependent section, and finding their requirements rather vague--I should have thought to venture into other visa types.

Sponsored Links