Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Third visit in less than a year.  (Read 459 times)

• Liked: 0
Third visit in less than a year.
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:47:20 AM »
Hi All,

I've done quite a bit of searching on this subject, and I am trying out figure out the best way to proceed.  Please forgive me if this has been asked before.  I visited my bf on my passport last year from August 14- November 24, 2008 and also over spring break April 3- April 12, 2009.  As I entered through Ireland on my first trip, I have two UK stamps dated November 12 and April 3.  I plan on coming to visit over the summer from May 22- August 14.  This puts me a about a week beyond 6 months in a years time.  I would prefer not to have to get entry clearance, even though I know that is my only guarantee- and I plan on being 100% honest with Immigration.  So far, to prove ties to the US I have- a copy of my car insurance paid until August (I always pay 6 months in advance), School Registration for Fall '09, a letter from my department head stating that I'm graduating at the end of fall semester and I'm committed to various projects in the department, copies of my bank statement and a letter from my job saying I'm committed to return to work at the end of the summer.  I don't intend to work or do anything I'm not allowed to do in the UK, and my bf has a job and an apartment, as well as the means to support me while I'm there. 
Here are my questions: (Any help would be appreciated)

1. Should my boyfriend write a letter stating his ability to house and support me?  (I also have a couple thousand dollars of my own)

2. My bf and I are planning on applying for a US Fiancee visa upon my return in August. If pressed regarding our plans to marry- should I volunteer this information?  (We are not yet engaged, and he hasn't told me when he plans on proposing as he wants to surprise me.  However, I'm fairly certain it will be sometime this summer.) 

3. Should I just cut my visit a few weeks short to stay within the six month allowance?

4. This may seem silly, but I plan on travelling with my guitar.  Will this raise an eyebrow or suspicion? 

I really appreciate this community, and all the help I have received here. 

Thank You,
Sarah
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Third visit in less than a year.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:17:58 AM »
My situation was not exactly the same as yours, but I did have an experience that I think might help you with your question 2.  I visited DH once for a weekend when he was still my fiance.  I had come from Prague, where I had been working, but I had quit my job so I was unemployed, had no proof of ties to the US or finances or anything (I was only staying 2 days, so the finances probably weren't a big deal, but still).  I also didn't have a clue about what to expect from the IO, since I had never been questioned on entering the UK before.  When he asked me why I was coming to the UK, I blithely said "To visit my fiance," which he homed in on immediately.  He started asking me about why I had been in Prague, for how long, was I sure I was only staying 2 days in the UK because "that's an awfully short time," did I have a date set for the wedding, where would we be getting married, where would we like to settle, etc etc.  Fortunately, I had my ticket to the US in my carry-on, but I think what really got me through was the fact that I knew the rules.  He asked me, all crafty and trying to catch me out, if I planned to move to the UK immediately after my wedding, and I said "Well, I have to get a visa first, don't I?"  After that, his whole demeanor changed, and he just checked my ticket, stamped my passport and sent me off. 

So the moral of this rambling tale is that if you can demonstrate that you know the rules and intend to follow them, ie make sure they know that you know that you must have a fiance visa and you must apply for it from the US, then that is a strong statement in your favour.   
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:31:37 AM »
Sarah, I absolutely agree with everything Historyenne said and I would also offer the information (when appropriate) that you and your BF plan to settle in the US rather than in the UK.  This should calm any concerns they may have about your visit. You'll be fine!

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:35:39 AM »
When I went to visit Tim, he wrote a letter stating he was giving me room and board in case I got questioned about not having a hotel booked.  After showing the I/O the letter, I was in with no problems.
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:42:37 AM »
Thanks!  I'm starting to feel better already!  :D
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:51:06 AM »
The 6 months in any 12 months is not a hard and fast rule.  It could be used as a reason to refuse a visitor if the IO thought the visitor wasn't a visitor.

Based on what you are saying, I think any reasonable IO would see you as a visitor.  In their minds though, they are going to ask "Is this person just avoiding getting a family based visa in order to 'sneak' into the UK?"  But you seem better prepared then most to answer that question.

Also, always remember, be prepared, but only answer what you are asked.  Most likely you will get asked a couple questions, but as historyenne says, knowing what is possible will help, but don't look like a smart ass!  "I know the 6 months in any 12 month period is guide a guide, so you can't not let me in" would likely not go over well.  ;D
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

• God only knows what i'd be without you
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 07:27:35 AM »
Hi All,

I've done quite a bit of searching on this subject, and I am trying out figure out the best way to proceed.  Please forgive me if this has been asked before.  I visited my bf on my passport last year from August 14- November 24, 2008 and also over spring break April 3- April 12, 2009.  As I entered through Ireland on my first trip, I have two UK stamps dated November 12 and April 3.  I plan on coming to visit over the summer from May 22- August 14.  This puts me a about a week beyond 6 months in a years time.  I would prefer not to have to get entry clearance, even though I know that is my only guarantee- and I plan on being 100% honest with Immigration.  So far, to prove ties to the US I have- a copy of my car insurance paid until August (I always pay 6 months in advance), School Registration for Fall '09, a letter from my department head stating that I'm graduating at the end of fall semester and I'm committed to various projects in the department, copies of my bank statement and a letter from my job saying I'm committed to return to work at the end of the summer.  I don't intend to work or do anything I'm not allowed to do in the UK, and my bf has a job and an apartment, as well as the means to support me while I'm there. 
Here are my questions: (Any help would be appreciated)

1. Should my boyfriend write a letter stating his ability to house and support me?  (I also have a couple thousand dollars of my own)

2. My bf and I are planning on applying for a US Fiancee visa upon my return in August. If pressed regarding our plans to marry- should I volunteer this information?  (We are not yet engaged, and he hasn't told me when he plans on proposing as he wants to surprise me.  However, I'm fairly certain it will be sometime this summer.) 

3. Should I just cut my visit a few weeks short to stay within the six month allowance?

4. This may seem silly, but I plan on travelling with my guitar.  Will this raise an eyebrow or suspicion? 

I really appreciate this community, and all the help I have received here. 

Thank You,
Sarah

Make sure you tell me when you're coming so we can arrange to meet up!!! I'm also sad to see you're gonna settle in the US lol.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 07:49:29 AM »
Make sure you tell me when you're coming so we can arrange to meet up!!! I'm also sad to see you're gonna settle in the US lol.

For sure, I'll be around all summer!  I guess I could look at google, but is Devon near Cambridge?  The bf and I would luurve to meet up.

kitsonk- That is very good advice, thank you very much!  ;D

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 08:01:14 AM »
The 6 months in any 12 months is not a hard and fast rule.  It could be used as a reason to refuse a visitor if the IO thought the visitor wasn't a visitor.

Based on what you are saying, I think any reasonable IO would see you as a visitor.  In their minds though, they are going to ask "Is this person just avoiding getting a family based visa in order to 'sneak' into the UK?"  But you seem better prepared then most to answer that question.

Also, always remember, be prepared, but only answer what you are asked.  Most likely you will get asked a couple questions, but as historyenne says, knowing what is possible will help, but don't look like a smart ass!  "I know the 6 months in any 12 month period is guide a guide, so you can't not let me in" would likely not go over well.  ;D

HAHAHAHAHA ahhh I always love your responses.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 08:03:59 AM »
For sure, I'll be around all summer!  I guess I could look at google, but is Devon near Cambridge?  The bf and I would luurve to meet up.

kitsonk- That is very good advice, thank you very much!  ;D

Yeah we're not near one another hahaha. I was thinking maybe we can all go to Camden or somewhere else in London?

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 08:08:53 AM »
Yeah we're not near one another hahaha. I was thinking maybe we can all go to Camden or somewhere else in London?

For sure, Camden would be great!  I will PM you. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab