Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Orchestral musicians added to shortage list  (Read 630 times)

Orchestral musicians added to shortage list
« on: April 29, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »
Interesting development: the UK needs more orchestral musicians and contemporary dancers.  These categories were added to the shortage list today. 

Correspondingly, it's bad news for social workers.

The announcement is at...  http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/mac-publishes-shortage-list

• Banned

• Liked: 4
Re: Orchestral musicians added to shortage list
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
Do note that this is not yet in place, but only recommendatins fromt he MAC.  last time the MAC recommended that social workers were taken off the list, the government didn't implement their recommendations.

Vicky

• Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:07:23 PM »
Interesting development: the UK needs more orchestral musicians and contemporary dancers.  These categories were added to the shortage list today. 

That seems very surprising   ???
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
That seems very surprising   ???

Performing arts has a very active and very effective lobbying capability.  They have been able to get carve-outs where other lobbyists have failed.  But agreed, overall it's ironic that while the UK economy sinks into the North Atlantic there will accompanying orchestral music.  History repeats itself and all that sort of thing.   :D

• Liked: 31
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »
I bet it's specifically violas they need. There are never enough of us to go around!
Arrived as student 9/2003; Renewed student visa 9/2006; Applied for HSMP approval 1/2008; HSMP approved 3/2008; Tier 1 General FLR received 4/2008; FLR(M) Unmarried partner approved (in-person) 27/8/2009; ILR granted at in-person PEO appointment 1/8/2011; Applied for citizenship at Edinburgh NCS 31/10/2011; Citizenship approval received 4/2/2012
FINALLY A CITIZEN! 29/2/2012

• Liked: 12
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »
  But agreed, overall it's ironic that while the UK economy sinks into the North Atlantic there will accompanying orchestral music.  History repeats itself and all that sort of thing.   :D

;D  Those icebergs will do it every time!
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Clapham Girl
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »
I wonder if that includes conductors?   ;)  :D
01 March 2009: online application
13 March 2009: biometrics
16 March 2009: submitted documents via FedEx
18 March 2009: Tier 1 Approved (NY consulate)
18 June 2009: Tier 1 start date
29 August 2009: Arrive in London
22 April 2010: Finally got a job

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 03:15:04 PM »
I bet it's specifically violas they need. There are never enough of us to go around!
Oooh, I love viola!
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »
Musicians needed, but no announced shortage of vocalists anywhere in sight.

That's quite probably because there's an over abundance of 'falsetto's' in the government already...  ;D

• My blog!
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »
The UK has Susan Boyle... so why would they need anyone else to sing now?
WARNING My thoughts and comments are entirely my own.  Especially when it comes to immigration and tax advice, I am not a professional.  My advice is to seek out professional advice.  Your mileage may vary!
Transpondia
UK Borders Agency (Official Government Site)
Office of Immigration Service Commissioner (Official Government Site)
My Blog

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 10:55:20 PM »

Correspondingly, it's bad news for social workers.

I would like to know what planet MAC live on, when they think that social work shouldn't be a shortage occupation. Maybe they should speak to my manager who has been desperate to find more social workers, they advertise...no one applies, we advertise again...same problem. I have also noticed that people are fleeing from the statutory sector and fast. If it is removed, I feel it would only be a matter fo time before its straight back on the list.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:38:42 AM by casualwalks »
"They call me the hiphopopotamus, my lyrics are bottomless!"

• God only knows what i'd be without you
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 01:28:46 AM »
The UK has Susan Boyle... so why would they need anyone else to sing now?

HAHAHA did you see her make over?!

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 01:32:37 AM »
Personally, I'm glad to see this development. I'm biased because I'm a classical musician and have worked for a professional orchestra, but I also can't see this affecting any more than a handful of jobs (literally, count them with your two hands).

I worked for an orchestra that had to leave a position unfulfilled for a few years simply because they couldn't find a single American player they liked. It was even more complicated due to union regulations of the audition process itself -- screened tapings and blind auditions, so that the judges don't know the identity of the applicant until he's already been hired as the winner. It all really boiled down to the fact that they desired a different type of playing from what was being taught in American conservatories. The arts is truly international -- it prospers with the exchange of cultures and backgrounds.

Is their contribution more important than social workers? Well, they certainly won't bring the country out of "recession", but I think it really depends on your position of art's role in the community. I think that most would agree that the UK's cultural climate helps to contribute to it being such a desirable place to visit (and live). If you don't agree, then I'd ask you to picture a place like London without the theatre, orchestra, opera, clubs, etc, even during a recession. Sure, it doesn't affect your life every single day, but it's still a  big part of the appeal.

Musicians needed, but no announced shortage of vocalists anywhere in sight. That's quite probably because there's an over abundance of 'falsetto's' in the government already...  ;D

It's not quite the same because orchestral musicians can actually be employed in full-time, permanent positions. Vocalists are only contracted per gig. I know of very few permanent positions, except perhaps the US Army and maybe the National Chorale.

Sponsored Links