Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The question I am so tired of:  (Read 3400 times)

• Liked: 0
The question I am so tired of:
« on: May 03, 2009, 02:31:05 AM »
20 times a day I get this question from various people:

"When are you moving?"

I don't flipping know! I'm waiting for my visa. I have explained this process to you 50 times over. Stop drawing attention to my anxiety.

I get more and more frustrated every time I hear it. In fact I've started telling people "I hate that question. I'll let you know when I know."
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

Re: The question I am so tired of:
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:48:05 AM »
"how are you going to survive the cold?????" <--- people ask this, incredulously, as though someone from arizona absolutely CANNOT survive in cold weather!

annoying!

:P

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:49:44 AM »
haha, i hear you!  i hate this question and i DO have my visa!  i know around when i'm moving, but everyone seems to want an exact date. i think i give the same explanation several times a day now!  

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:11:09 AM »
"how are you going to survive the cold?????" <--- people ask this, incredulously, as though someone from arizona absolutely CANNOT survive in cold weather!

annoying!

:P

Lol, I've seen someone here ask you that. ;D

It is a valid question though, to be honest. lol. I'm from PA and it gets plenty cold here, but London feels cold to me because it is a damp-cold. Chills me to the bone... whereas, it will be 0 F and I'll be bundled up and chilly, but I can live. but there it's 40 F and rainy and I want to DIE!

But don't worry, your love will keep you warm. ;) God that was sappy. I think I want to smack myself.
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 03:11:57 AM »
haha, i hear you!  i hate this question and i DO have my visa!  i know around when i'm moving, but everyone seems to want an exact date. i think i give the same explanation several times a day now!  

Seriously! Me too. To the same people!!!

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 03:17:07 AM »
[quote author=princesslemons link=topic=53279.msg762582#msg762582 date=1241316669

But don't worry, your love will keep you warm. ;) God that was sappy. I think I want to smack myself.
[/quote]

Lol.

My favorite is everyone expects I'm moving over, even though we will settle here for a bit.  Believe it folks!
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 03:24:03 AM »

:P he better!!!
but I have to agree the asking when I'm moving / when will be my visa be approved (before I knew these things) was quite annoying. I was like look people, as soon as I know, I'll be shouting it from the rooftops! and I did!!

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 05:00:41 AM »
I definitely get tired of the 'when are you moving bit?'. Well, I got to get married first you see, and then I get asked why I'm not having a big wedding--mainly because I got paperwork coming out my ars* and I'm really stressed about that, so I don't want to stress about a wedding as well  :-\\\\ So, I'll be moving when I bloody well get my visa, which won't be a secret in the least. As for a wedding, I'm lazy and cheap and don't want to pay for everyone, and there will only be a few people there anyway so I'll just leave all the fun stuff till I go to the UK :P

Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »
Wait til you move over here! I must get asked on a daily basis:

So where are you from? (beating around the bush way of saying-your not from around here are you?).

The above question is then followed by

So what made you move to England (with a look of horror on their face--because people can't believe anyone would choose to live here over NY)

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 10:04:27 AM »

So where are you from? (beating around the bush way of saying-your not from around here are you?).

So what made you move to England (with a look of horror on their face--because people can't believe anyone would choose to live here over NY)

Yep, I get these daily.  Also "How do you like the weather?" and "How are you settling in?"  I particularly hate that last one because I'm not settling in that well, I can't find a job and I live with my in-laws.  But I have to grit my teeth and smile and say "Oh, yes, everything's lovely."  Mustn't be impolite.  Grrr.  If people don't want to hear the honest answer to a question, they shouldn't ask it.  (Sorry, I'm a grump this morning.) 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 10:29:05 AM »

This!!  Almost 5 years here, and I still get this just about everytime I get in a taxi, unless it's a taxi driver that knows me.  Pubs are the worst; I don't go out very often, but at least once during a night out, there will be some random guy who hears my accent and will saunter over to ask if I'm a student or on holiday, and do I like Irish lads ::)  I always reply that I'm partial to Irish men, which is why I married one ;D

Kind of OT but...last night I was out with 3 girlfriends.  2 of us were in the bathroom chatting, and a lady (I'd guess late 40's) came over and interrupted us to ask if I was American and where in America I was from.  When I told her Colorado, she started JUMPING UP AND DOWN AND CLAPPING HER HANDS!  She then grabbed me by the arm before I could say a word to take me to meet her husband.  It turns out that John Denver was their favorite singer, and the two of them just stared at me like I was a movie star or something. 
The Guide For Working Families review http://londonelegance.com/transpondia/twfg/

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »

I got this last night on the train..."What made you leave California for Wiltshire?!!??"  guffaw guffaw. Felt like saying "I don't know mate, when I look at fat, bald, football mad, lardyasses like you..."
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
Kind of OT but...last night I was out with 3 girlfriends.  2 of us were in the bathroom chatting, and a lady (I'd guess late 40's) came over and interrupted us to ask if I was American and where in America I was from.  When I told her Colorado, she started JUMPING UP AND DOWN AND CLAPPING HER HANDS!  She then grabbed me by the arm before I could say a word to take me to meet her husband.  It turns out that John Denver was their favorite singer, and the two of them just stared at me like I was a movie star or something. 

Love it!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

If they've heard of Kansas at all, I usually get some reference to red shoes/Wizard of Oz.  I don't really mind people asking me where I'm from, what I'm doing here, etc - it's nice they take an interest.  :)
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »
As the OP can probably guess by the posts that came after hers, the question that is frustrating her now is just life's way of preparing for the questions when you get here!

For me, they seem to come in streaks - no one bats an eye at my accent for months, and then all of a sudden a rash of questions break out.

The most recent one is 'how long have you been here'?  (What, waiting for this bus????!!)  After nearly 4 years here, there must be something about me that makes people believe I'm comfortable in my skin and not a 'newcomer'. 

The last time I was questioned at the bus stop it was when another woman and I were trying to see the bus times, in the dark, using the light from my mobile phone!  We'd just got off the same bus and were at a different bus stop waiting for one of two buses.  She said 'you've had quite a journey to get here!' and I said, 'yes, I just came from seeing a film with some friends'.  Duh!!!

Still, it is a way to have some fairly nice conversations once you get past that initial question...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »
If they've heard of Kansas at all, I usually get some reference to red shoes/Wizard of Oz. 

Yes, when I say im from New York, I always get 'whoa.. the big apple' or 'i'd love to go shopping in New York'... when actually I am from upstate NY. I used to take the time to say 'well actually Im not from NYC but....' but that whole shpeel got quite tiring so now I just smile and nod... haha.

Sponsored Links