Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The question I am so tired of:  (Read 3417 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: The question I am so tired of:
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 05:03:52 PM »
Are you moving to London? You will get the 'where are you from' and 'why did you move HERE' questions' a lot less there because London isnt short of Americans so its less of a novelty i think. When i go to London, I hear them EVERYWHERE!

But where I am, I'm the token American and the only other American accent I hear anywhere, is a girl i met through UKY.

Ah, yes I live in London. Lots of us over there. Though when I hear tourists I try not to speak/disguise my accent because they are a disgrace to all of us...

I'm sure if we end up moving away from the city I'll get those questions a lot more. But it would be worth it to not be stuck in the city anymore...
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 05:10:39 PM »
I'm sure if we end up moving away from the city I'll get those questions a lot more. But it would be worth it to not be stuck in the city anymore...

Yes, the questions do get tiring depending on whose asking them but sometimes it is nice to be a bit different to everyone else and im a bit of a ham so sometimes i do enjoy the attention.  ;D

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »

So what made you move to England (with a look of horror on their face--because people can't believe anyone would choose to live here over NY)

Oh, that one never goes away.

Try being a renter, and every time you tell someone you're moving, they ask, 'Are you going back home?'

Well, gees, last I checked this is my home.  My kids are here, my car is here, my husband's job is here, the school is here, oh, and my huband's from here, my kids are from here, my cat's from here . . .

Then they invariably launch into a diatribe about how crazy you are to be living here, their having never lived there themselves in their lives, and how they'd be off like a shot, etc., etc. whilst you smile meekly and dart your eyes about.

Worse are the 'Are you moving back to Hoo-ston?'

It's HEW-ston, buddy, and didn't I already tell you about 10 times that I haven't lived there since 1989?  That's 20 years ago and I'm 38, so if you do the maths, you'll soon realise I've lived away longer than I was there.  Doesn't that tell you something?!

• British and Texan (and ape)
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 07:05:53 PM »
Worse are the 'Are you moving back to Hoo-ston?'

It's HEW-ston, buddy, and didn't I already tell you about 10 times that I haven't lived there since 1989?  That's 20 years ago and I'm 38, so if you do the maths, you'll soon realise I've lived away longer than I was there.  Doesn't that tell you something?!

LOL, too right!  ;D

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »
Kind of OT but...last night I was out with 3 girlfriends.  2 of us were in the bathroom chatting, and a lady (I'd guess late 40's) came over and interrupted us to ask if I was American and where in America I was from.  When I told her Colorado, she started JUMPING UP AND DOWN AND CLAPPING HER HANDS!  She then grabbed me by the arm before I could say a word to take me to meet her husband.  It turns out that John Denver was their favorite singer, and the two of them just stared at me like I was a movie star or something. 

Speaking as an African American woman --- I can just imagine what people will say (once I move to England) when I tell them I was born, raised and worked in Washington DC.,  I'm sure the questions will have to do with a certain new President.

*spousal visa FLR(M) issued June 8, 2010*

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »
Speaking as an African American woman --- I can just imagine what people will say (once I move to England) when I tell them I was born, raised and worked in Washington DC.,  I'm sure the questions will have to do with a certain new President.

Ooh.  I'm sorry for you already. 

I truly cannot believe my ears when people, upon hearing I lived in Southern California, ask me if I know any movie stars.  This doesn't come as often as the other questions, but I have heard it on more than one occasion.  I want to say "Of course I do, the same way you know Daniel Craig and the entire royal family." 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »
Wait til you move over here! I must get asked on a daily basis:

So where are you from? (beating around the bush way of saying-your not from around here are you?).

The above question is then followed by

So what made you move to England (with a look of horror on their face--because people can't believe anyone would choose to live here over NY)

Try telling them that you moved to England from Florida. They look at you like you ought to be committed. It's like, 'Listen, I lived in the Shadow of the Mouse my whole life, and it ain't that great. Now may I have my beer, please?'
If we called them Sad Meals, no one would buy them.

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »

I'm not from DC or African American, and nearly every single person I talked to BEFORE the election wanted to know who I was voting for and anyone I talked to AFTER the election wanted to know what I thought about him.  *rolls eyes*

Speaking of calling places "home" - I pissed off my mom the other day when I referred to the house in Lancaster as "mom's house". Well, I haven't lived here in 8 months (2 in canada, 6 in the UK), so what does she expect me to call it?  
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• If you take my breath away...
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
I'm tired of "when are you going home" too.  It seems to be the second question  out of everyones mouth.

"Where are you from?"
"When are you going home?"

:P
...the whole damn thing will turn
and return redefined, rearranged, rearranged...

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »
I'm tired of "when are you going home" too.  It seems to be the second question  out of everyones mouth.

"Where are you from?"

it really took a few people by surprise when they asked me when I was going home and my answer was "I've been here for almost 6 months, I go home next week" and then they felt bad for asking!
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »

"Where are you from?"

I've always hated the going home question... I've had 5x 3-month-visits, and that was the one thing people always asked. and I'd tell them, with the :( face. and inside I'd be going "I try not to think about it, but thanks a**hole." Haha.

During student teaching, people asked a lot. But at least they tried to be helpful. Almost got a sponsorship for a work visa...
Finally living with my Husband in London after 6 1/2 years together but apart... and loving my life!

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2009, 08:15:25 PM »

"Where are you from?"

It's not the reserve of just Americans, either, thankfully.

A friend of mine is a British expat to France.  She had several children from her first husband who all moved to France with her when she went, too, and had two children with her French husband. 

Her French husband does not speak English and runs a business there which employees about 50 people. 

She works herself as a science teacher.

Yet when her eldest, now an adult, moved back to the UK and ran into problems of the garden-variety university student sort - sh*te flatmates, crap boyfriend, etc. - she had tons of British people telling her she should 'come home' and if they were here they'd 'just go home' and blah blah blah.

Until someone pointed out she has other children, a job and a husband who provides vital jobs in this economy. 

You can't exactly up sticks because of a few flatmate problems.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 08:17:00 PM by expat_in_scotland »

Sponsored Links