Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Benefits of using a courier for LA consulate?  (Read 540 times)

• Liked: 0
Benefits of using a courier for LA consulate?
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:07:50 AM »
Based on a couple of the posts, it looks like using a courier is the way to go. I'm about to submit my Tier 1 (General) application to the LA Consulate. Is using a courier really worth the $$?  Any recommendations?

Re: Benefits of using a courier for LA consulate?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 03:35:43 AM »
It will speed up the application.  If you're the sort of person who will lose sleep while the application is under review, it might be worth it.  I used Global VIP Services (www.globalvipservices.com).  I thought she was fine, though I know some people didn't have the best of luck with her.  I think the important thing to keep in mind is that courier services are not advice services.  Most courier services seem to offer unsolicited advice, but you should ignore it.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:40:01 AM »
Yes, it is worth it! I wish I had known it was an option before I sent my spouse visa stuff off to the LA consulate because they're apparently taking 6-8 weeks right now to process those sorts of applications. I have serious issues with anxiety, so I think using a courier could've saved me some grief, needless to say. If I could do it all over again, I'd definitely use a courier.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:15:15 AM »
Me, too . . .  It does, in any case, seem a little suspect that the courier-mediated submissions appear to get rather significant priority and expedience over others.  I wonder why this is?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »
Me, too . . .  It does, in any case, seem a little suspect that the courier-mediated submissions appear to get rather significant priority and expedience over others.  I wonder why this is?

The couriers have a special arrangement with the consulates to provide expedited services and so couriered applications go right to the front of the line. They are given priority because you are paying extra for a consulate-approved faster service - nothing suspect about it, it's just an option that you can choose to go with if you need your visa quickly and is open to anybody who wishes to use the service. When you fill out your visa application form online, you are given the option to either mail in your documents (and pay $12 for them to be returned to you) or go with a 'travel agent' to submit your application. 'Travel agent' means expedited courier.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:58:44 AM »
Oh, so that's what 'travel agent' meant when I got to the end of my online application! I wish it had been a little more clearer. If it had said 'expedited courier' instead, I would've looked into it and chosen that option. But I just saw 'travel agent' and since it didn't sound like something that would apply to me, I chose the option to mail it. Ugh, I could just kick myself right now. I would've been more than happy to pay an extra $150 to spare myself two months of anxiety.

• My Flickr page
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »
I used a courier (Global VIP) and I recommend using one for anyone who can't wait several weeks (up to 2 months or more) for a visa.
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?" ~Henry Ward Beecher

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »
Oh, so that's what 'travel agent' meant when I got to the end of my online application! I wish it had been a little more clearer. If it had said 'expedited courier' instead, I would've looked into it and chosen that option. But I just saw 'travel agent' and since it didn't sound like something that would apply to me, I chose the option to mail it. Ugh, I could just kick myself right now. I would've been more than happy to pay an extra $150 to spare myself two months of anxiety.

If you haven't mailed your application yet, you can still use a courier.  You will just lose the $12 you were charged for choosing the mail option.  The same thing happened to me, and going with a courier was well worth the extra fee and the loss of the $12.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
If you haven't mailed your application yet, you can still use a courier.  You will just lose the $12 you were charged for choosing the mail option.  The same thing happened to me, and going with a courier was well worth the extra fee and the loss of the $12.

Sadly, I had already mailed all my documentation by the time I realized a courier was an option. :-( It was signed for at the consulate on April 17th and about a week later I got the e-mail from them telling me they opened my package. So I suppose I probably won't hear anything again until sometime in June, at least. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have a really tough two months ahead of me. I just wish I had known about couriers so I could've done things differently.

• My Flickr page
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 10:26:39 PM »
I've heard of people calling couriers to "rescue" their applications from the bottom of the pile and get things moving at the consulate.  If you're desperate, that might be an option.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »
I've heard of people calling couriers to "rescue" their applications from the bottom of the pile and get things moving at the consulate.  If you're desperate, that might be an option.

Once the application has been opened, there's nothing a courier can do. 
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• My Flickr page
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »
Oh.  Well that does suck.  :(

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 04:27:18 AM »
I just used Global VIP Services for my Tier 1 (General) application with the L.A. consulate. SO worth the $100 for the courier services.

The process:
- Saturday: I overnighted my application to Global VIP Services.
- Monday: She reviewed my application (very quickly, just to see if anything was missing)
- Tuesday: At 0730 she submitted my application to the L.A. Consulate. At 1630, she picked up my approved VISA and Fedex'd it to me
- Wednesday: I received my approved VISA!!!

SO worth the money!

• God only knows what i'd be without you
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 09:34:32 PM »
Once the application has been opened, there's nothing a courier can do. 

Yeah but that's once it's been OPENED. It's fair to point out in RARE circumstances, people have been able to succeed at getting a courier to save their unopened app. Just saying.

Sponsored Links