Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hi from Brighton  (Read 1171 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi from Brighton
« on: February 01, 2003, 02:00:46 AM »
Hello.  I moved to Brighton over the summer with my husband (a Brit from Brighton) and 3 year old daughter.  Really enjoying Brighton - very cool place - and living by the sea.  I met my husband when I was spending my Senior year of college in London.  Had a 2-3 year long distance relationship then got married in Upstate NY.  He moved to USA and we lived there (Miami Beach, Brooklyn and Northampton, MA) for 10 years.  Now his turn so here we are! Really missing my mom, sister and her newborn and feeling guilty for leaving them.  But at the same time am thrilled to have this opportunity.  My daughter is picking up some funny English expressions at nursery school and cracks me up.  Same time I have mixed feelings about her getting an English accent.  I miss brownies, oreos, orville redenbachers, salad bars, NY deli bagels, Annies Mac & Cheese, Howard Stern, NYPD Blue, all my friends, people saying hi in the street, and just feeling like I know what the heck is going on - like I have a clue - know what I mean?  Anyway, great to be here and to have found this site. Great to know I have good company here.

Re: Hi from Brighton
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »
Hi and welcome to the boards.  Brighton must be a cool place to live.  I love the north lanes.  So do my teenage daughters.  You can usually find oreos in Sainsburys or Tescos-but in a small blue box.  The sell Betty Crocker brownie mix too. :) Can't help with any of the others I'm afraid, but it will get easier.  :) Hang in there and keep posting.  

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 11:12:06 AM »
hey NYin Brighton.....WELCOME TO UKY.

Youre def not alone...so hang in there.  I think everyone initially goes through the feelings you are having.  Ive been here a year and a half now and really just now feel like i have settled in.  The most difficult thing for me has been meeting people.  I was a very social in the states (due to the job i had).  but things are finally looking brighter in that area...when walking the kids home from school one of the moms and her kids usually joins us (hey thats a start, lol).  and ive also recently accepted a job with the local parish council, its boring but at least i get to be in the company of adults who have to talk to me, lol.  

btw...NYPD was one of the things i missed (also The Practise and all the award ceremonies), anyway i taped NYPD Blue the other night and the american music awards.  Every so often you can find american shows on really early in the morning.  im always checking the tv listings, lol.  

good luck and keep postin!!  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2003, 08:00:07 PM »
Thanks gals.  It's nice to know I have friendly faces in cyberland!   :)   Looking over my email, seems very gloomy.  Guess it was my mood on Friday night.   One thing I really love about England is their sense of outdoors. I'll be on the lookout in Tescos for my chocolate fixes - not always easy to investigate everything with a 3 year old in tow! I'll keep visiting and posting.  Thanks again - for your kind and welcoming words.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2003, 08:49:27 AM »
You mentioned missing that people say 'hello' in the streets. Whenever I walk into town I glance at peoples' faces to see if they are looking so that if they are I make sure I give them some sort of acknowledgement. Most of the time I can tell they have just looked at me but turned away (I think they look from more of a distance to see if they know me). Now, that's an interesting study of human nature, the difference between "I'll say hello because I know you" versus "I'll say hello because I acknowledge you."

Ah, but once I get into town, it's a whole different story! Because I deal with the shop vendors on a more personal level, and not just in passing, you can't shut them up! Sometimes when I don't want to reveal my accent I just grunt my response (sometimes I DO feel like people point at the 'token' American in this little town).

But, the nicest thing of all is when you are known and people go out of their way to say hello. The friendliest, huggiest people you'd ever want to meet. It's a small town here...and it's quickly accepting me as one of their own. That's a really nice feeling.

This is starting my 5th year in England and I'm getting to a levelling-off stage. I've managed to stop thinking about a lot of food products on a day-to-day basis. Getting by with some of my cravings by making them myself. (I made the most extraordinary buttermilk blueberry pancakes yesterday...yes, I found buttermilk! and I used Bisquick, easily available here, and I used the Log Cabin syrup I brought back from the States, and the blueberries are gorgeous in this country. I am also making Mexican food items that, with experimentation, just may rival that which comes out of a restaurant. A lot of experimentation. ;) )

Brighton really sounds like a fun place. I'm fairly sure I'll be visiting this summer.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Garden Butterflies
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2003, 04:44:38 PM »
Welcome NYinBrighton,

nice to have you join us...  you will find many friendly faces here...and also many shoulders for those times when you mis home...  

Enjoy!
Shel
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2003, 05:47:33 PM »
Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes - YUM!!!  

Yeah, about people on the street...  I've always been very chatty to people in stores, on the street with a hello...  but the looks I get here, man - you'd think I grown a third eye!  It goes along with the different sense of humour too I guess.  Was at ASDA yesterday and this little kid sitting in the trolley was eating a bag of crisps or something and all of a sudden just chucked them all over the floor.  It was quite amusing so I gave a little smile at his mum thinking "oh, kids - can't they be trying/silly" but the look I got back!  And then today - I've been in this class with a lady for about a month now...  Well, after class I walked down the road to go to the bank machine and when I got my money, turned around and there she was.  I said with a smile - jokingly - "Are you following me?" and she was like "no.".  Well.  I guess I should just mind my own business but come on - lighten up!  Loving the weather in Brighton today - sunny and lovely.  Certainly not missing that freeze they are having in NY. I just generally love the weather here compared to New England.  Not too hot and not too cold!

Sponsored Links