Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Guilty until proven innocent  (Read 3018 times)

• Liked: 2
Re: Guilty until proven innocent
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 07:28:04 AM »
I don't think what I said was harsh, truly I don't understand why the UK even allows the VWP when so many people are stopped and questioned? If you are coming over for a visit and they allow you six months, then why all of the questions?

Most people visiting aren't even staying for that long. Of course, if they come over on a one-way ticket, that should be questioned.

The same could be said about all countires who have a visa waiver programme. Trust me it's not just the UK!

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:14:45 AM »
The same could be said about all countires who have a visa waiver programme. Trust me it's not just the UK!

Oh, definitely not!  Ever watched 'Border Security/Nothing to Declare' (Australia) or Passport Patrol (New Zealand)?

It's important to note that the OP didn't get bounced at all.  But was permitted his fortnight holiday.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 08:29:22 AM »
If you don't like it, you know where the door is.

This forum is about the expat experience.  Some experiences are going to be good, others bad. If you aren't prepared for the bad (and prepared to help someone turn it around), then might I suggest this isn't the place for you and perhaps you should take your own advice.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »
True but it doesn't mean that more people get bounced then let in.  It just means that those who are bounced find it note worthy to post while those who are let it don't.  I have been here 5 years and have taken around 30 trips during that time.  My family have also come to visit on multiple occasions.  If I posted at every turn that we made it through fine, you guys would think I was a nutter at worst and annoying at best.

I think that's what she was trying to say...

Pretty much.  :)  Probably just worded it poorly. 
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
BTW, question for the OP - did they say what you should do next time you come to the UK? Did they say you would need to get entry clearance as a spouse?

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »
This forum is about the expat experience.  Some experiences are going to be good, others bad. If you aren't prepared for the bad (and prepared to help someone turn it around), then might I suggest this isn't the place for you and perhaps you should take your own advice.

Well said Cait, thank you for that.

As an American who has had a quite a few trips to the UK recently, I have never encountered any hassle. (Touch/Knock wood)  However, I also know the rules and know what to say and how to act- mainly because of this forum. Eg. Don't lie, don't crack jokes (although I couldn't help it this last time, and the woman laughed about ten minutes) carry supporting documents, and most importantly- know the rules!  I wouldn't have know any of this had my bf not suggested joining an expat forum before my first long visit to the UK.
"It’s life. You don’t figure it out. You just climb up on the beast and ride." - Rebecca Wells

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »
My Mom says that she got more questions than she's ever gotten in twenty years this year.  She got a kick out of it when I told her it was because they thought she was visiting her internet boyfriend.

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 04:22:34 AM »
If you are ever in the US and watch homeland security here, they do the exact same thing and many people on the VWP get bumped back to where they came from.
Entering the country whether here or there, is a privilege not a right (unless you are a citizen)
Every time i came back to the US on my green card I'D HOLD MY BREATH (WHOOPS CAP LOCKS IS STICKING AGAIN)

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
That just sounds awful.  I'm so sorry you had to go through that and whether or not they were within their purview would probably mean nothing to me if I had been in your situation, so you have all my sympathy.  I hope this doesn't taint your overall UK experience.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »
Very sorry to hear about your terrible experience. I sometimes wonder why the UK even allows US folks to travel there via the VWP given all of the suspicion and frustration that they put people through upon arrival. Yes there are folks that abuse the system and they should be questioned but what you went through was a bit OTT.

If you think that was bad, just wait until you try to open a bank account in the UK.  ::)

That was really easy actually.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 12:45:49 AM »
Did you have supporting documentation to prove that you had strong ties to the US were not going to overstay?

Surely in this situation the onus is on you to have enough evidence to show that you are complying with UK law? As the UKBA are under no obligation to let you through the border at all.

I didn't think to bring any, I was just going on holiday. And no - The onus is on them to prove I have not complied with UK law if they suspect I haven't.

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 12:52:19 AM »
BTW, question for the OP - did they say what you should do next time you come to the UK? Did they say you would need to get entry clearance as a spouse?

What they told me was to make sure I had proof that I left the country when I said I would. DHS was kind enough to stamp my passport on reentry to the US when I came back. They didn't say anything about what I would need next time I visited. But hopefully providing proof that I returned to the US on the date I told them would show me as being trustworthy in that respect the next time.

• Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
  I am so sorry that happened to you Trance.

I was previously married to a uk citizen, but we were officially separated over 3 years ago and completely dunzo about 2 years ago..( The divorce just went through today, actually..YAY! We are both the types who procrastinate about any sort of paperwork. Anyway, that's another story...sorry..).

During the year of our trial separation I came to the UK five times to visit him, and every time I was oblivious to the fact that my admission to the country could possibly be denied! Ah, ignorance was bliss. I was always truthful about the fact that I was there to see my husband, and one time I didn't even have any proof of my return ticket.( My printer had broken a few days before and I didn't even attempt to print it elsewhere...like i said ...ignorance )   That particular time, I was dealing with an IO at Gatwick whose line I had been through on my previous visit, and maybe the fact that I pointed this out to her made her ease up on me? I don't know.  I got momentarily freaked out by all of her questions, and when asked where I worked I stated the name of my previous employer instead of my current one. I probably should have been bumped for that.

Now that I know the score, I get sooooo nervous when I go over.

I guess it can just go either way? Some get lucky and some don't, and my heart definitely goes out to the latter.
Here we go:

17 AUG 2009- Applied online
20 AUG 2009- Biometrics
24 Aug- Sent everything to expediter
26 Aug-Application taken to consulate
26 Aug-Fiancee visas approved!!!
 2 Sep-Moved to UK!

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »
I didn't think to bring any, I was just going on holiday. And no - The onus is on them to prove I have not complied with UK law if they suspect I haven't.

I don't think the onus is on them. 

They can deny for any reason if you are just going on holiday and you have no rights to appeal. 

Sponsored Links