Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is this even possible?!?  (Read 1933 times)

• Liked: 8
Is this even possible?!?
« on: February 02, 2003, 03:52:42 AM »
Alright guys, I'm sure at least one of you has done this and can give me some advice!  :-)

Rich and I have now decided to get married here in the States due to a million logistical reasons.  The plan is:

1)apply for my fiancee' visa (to go to UK)
2)Rich comes here and marries me in NC in September
3)travel to NYC for honeymoon and go to consulate to get fiancee' visa changed to spouse visa
4)head back to UK together and live happily ever after

I'm sure I read somewhere that this was possible--that having a UK fiancee' visa didn't mean you HAVE to get married in the UK.  Am I correct in this assumption?

Re: Is this even possible?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 11:32:27 AM »
Hi Lolabola.

You don't need a fiance visa at all if you're going to get married in the US.  Instead, you would simply come to the UK on a visa waiver, then travel back the US to get married.  Then you would go to the consulate and get a spousal visa to come back to the UK to settle.  There are lots of people here who have done things (or plan to do things) that way.

However, I know Marlespo has gotten a fiance visa, even though she intended to get married in the US.  This was due to her having problems at immigration at one point, and not wanting to repeat a very bad experience.

If you go the route of the fiance visa though, I don't think you can change status in the US.  Usually, you have to do that here in the UK once you have proof of your marriage.

I'd check with the consulate about the changing status thing, definately.  And if you haven't had trouble at immigration, and don't plan on being in the UK an awfully long time before you're married, I wouldn't worry at all about the fiance visa.  

Just my thoughts!  Good luck!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 01:04:07 PM »
Hi lolabola,

That's exactly what me and my fiance are going to do..(get married in the states) We have really looked into it and this is the situation:

If you want to get married in the states, you do not need a fiance visa.  He comes over on his normal pass port.. no visa needed.. and you get married in the states.  Its not illegal like it would be to come to the UK without the proper visa to get married.

Once your married you go to NY for your spousal visa.. if all goes to plan and you have all the correct documents you can get your spousal visa the same day.  Then on returning to the UK you can start work.

If you were going to go the fiance route..YOU would apply for that in the states.. then come to the UK and have to marry within six months but you cant work until your married and have your FLR.

We are going to do exactly the same..were doing it that way so my fiance's family can give him a good send off!!

Just tell your fiance when he goes through immigration... to answer any questions they ask but if he can help it.. do not mention he's in the states to get married, as they get very nervous and would want proof from him that he is going to return to the UK after the wedding.  

I hope this helps.

Nicky
Nicky

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2003, 01:10:08 PM »
sorry.. I dont know why this has appeared twice.. and I can't remove it!!
Nicky

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2003, 01:14:03 PM »
Ok .. lol this is freaking me out... first there was two of my posts now there isnt!!! :-/ now I cant remove the above... weird!!
Nicky

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2003, 03:20:34 PM »
ahhhhh!  So, no need to apply for fiancee' visa?!?!  That's good news!  :-)

One more question--does getting married affect my passport?  I mean, will I have a problem getting the spousal visa since my married name will be different than the name on the passport?  Or will they use common sense, look at the marriage certificate, and send us through?

Thanks for your help so far!

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2003, 04:23:46 PM »
No, it won't make a difference.  I waited for a good six months before I got my name changed, and in the meantime, got the visa changed to FLR, got a job, etc, etc with the old name in my passport.

You will need your marriage certificate though.

Be careful what you book your tickets under as well.  Might be good to go ahead and book them with your maiden name so there aren't any hold-ups when you check in at the airport.  (Even there though, I think if you have your marriage certificate, they will go ahead and let you through.)

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 05:04:33 PM »
Hmm that was a good question.. I never thought of that.

Now the ticket thing.. that too I was wondering about.. my fiance will proberly be travelling after me.. maybe a week or so.. until we have the money for his ticket.. cause this is going to be expensive as it is so we will have to wait for the money for his ticket.. does that matter? or do they want to see that he has booked a ticket?
Nicky

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 05:18:04 PM »
Its not illegal like it would be to come to the UK without the proper visa to get married.

I would not go so far as to say that getting married in the UK without a fiance visa is illegal.  It would raise eyebrows when you went to get your spousal visa and you'd have to endure some headaches in that regard (I know Wench did), but in the end, if it was illegal for an immigrant without having a fiance visa, then registrars would not perform the ceremony.  Yet they do with no questions asked.  Of course, getting a fiance visa is best.  I'm just comparing technicalities here.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 05:23:02 PM »
ahhhhh!  So, no need to apply for fiancee' visa?!?!  That's good news!  :-)

One more question--does getting married affect my passport?  I mean, will I have a problem getting the spousal visa since my married name will be different than the name on the passport?  Or will they use common sense, look at the marriage certificate, and send us through?

Thanks for your help so far!

My experience with this was that the consular people in Chicago said they needed to put the visa in my old name because that's what was on my passport.  The only headache I had was that my husband bought my plane ticket for me and at the time I thought I would hyphenate my last name so had the ticket put in that name.  The problems were fairly minimal and rectified by showing our marriage certificate, but I would recommend just putting plane tickets in the old name to save any potential problems.  I got my passport amended at the US Embassy for free to show my married and everything's peachy keen. ;)

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 05:54:22 PM »
excellent...good to know others have been through the same situation...i feel MUCH better about all of this now!  Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab