Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get British products in the USA?  (Read 23857 times)

• Liked: 1
Where can I get British products in the USA?
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:19:56 PM »
Since I am over the pond in the USA now I'd thought I'd start a thread about US sources for UK goods. 

I have ordered from lots of places, but recently found a great deal on PG tips....

Amazon has a subscription plan now that allows regular shipping of often used items at a 15% discount. 

My local Kroger charges $8 for 40 bags of PG and once I saw it on sale for $4 at Fresh Market.... the Amazon deal beats any I've seen!

Any other good online or other sources?
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 19
Re: Where can I get British products in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »
I got a treacle toffee craving after my last trip to visit bf, and managed to order some from http://www.britishfoodshop.com.  The prices are up there, but they seem to have a nice, wide selection.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »
When I was living in Boston, I remember finding a few bits in my local grocery store.  Crunchy bars and Turkish delight come to mind.  There was also a specialty shop in Harvard Square (Near where I worked) that had a lot of stuff as well.  Nothing seemed outrageous, but it was also 10-11 years ago at the time. ;)

That is a great deal you found peeps!  My mom always asks for a box (Now decaf) when I come to visit.

I'm always looking for a source for Orange Squash for the husband.  One that does not cost $4.00 for a small bottle that is.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 10:59:45 PM »
In the Houston area there are quite a few places to buy British products.

My local Kroger has a good selection of British cheeses. Not a lot else. But other Kroger stores have other items. Fiesta stores have a lot more. Spec's Liquor stores have a lot of stuff too. The one on Smith Street in downtown has an entire little store inside the store of imported foods from all over the world...both fresh and packaged things.

www.goodwoods.com is a good place to order from and if you sign up with them, they send emails every couple of weeks with discount codes.

There's a shop in the Rice University area called British Isles. http://www.britishislesonline.com/cms_home/ I haven't been there but have been told they have a good selection.

There are several Cost Plus World Markets around the Houston area. I've only been to the one in the Woodlands but they had quite a lot of things.

• Painted Leather Jackets
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »
Yes, there must be hundreds of british shops dotted around the country, and  a few websites. In my gift shop, I carry a small selection of British foods (http://www.theworldtravellergifts.com). I am closing everything out, since after I get married in September, I'll be moving to London. Anyone from UKY can get free shipping, just use UKY as your coupon code.

thanks
Lisa

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »
I used to get lots of British stuff at the "The British Marketplace and Let's Have Tea Tearoom" in Davie, Fl.

Stop 'n' Shop in New England have lots of stuff. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:10:52 PM »
When I was living in Boston, I remember finding a few bits in my local grocery store.  Crunchy bars and Turkish delight come to mind.  There was also a specialty shop in Harvard Square (Near where I worked) that had a lot of stuff as well.  Nothing seemed outrageous, but it was also 10-11 years ago at the time. ;)
You're probably thinking about Cardullo's, Stacy.  They do have a pretty good selection (like Mr. Kipling's mince pies at Christmas time!) but are very very pricey now.
DS found a place in New Hampshire (Nashua maybe?) that had British food -- but again it was expensive.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 05:43:34 PM »
If you live near a "World Market" they have a great section of biscuts and sweets.  My Wife (Brit) and I have a pilgrimage every month to the one up in Minneapolis.  But now they are closing that one :(  http://www.worldmarket.com/home.jsp  you can order online as well and have it delivered.
Haikus are easy.
But sometimes they don't make sense.
Refrigerator

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »
Yes, there must be hundreds of british shops dotted around the country, and  a few websites. In my gift shop, I carry a small selection of British foods (http://www.theworldtravellergifts.com). I am closing everything out, since after I get married in September, I'll be moving to London. Anyone from UKY can get free shipping, just use UKY as your coupon code.

thanks
Lisa

Thank you Lisa, that is really nice.
I will have a look, for when the husband comes in August.

You're probably thinking about Cardullo's, Stacy.  They do have a pretty good selection (like Mr. Kipling's mince pies at Christmas time!) but are very very pricey now.
DS found a place in New Hampshire (Nashua maybe?) that had British food -- but again it was expensive.

Sorry!  Just seeing this now.  YES!!!  I love that place!  Shame it's gotten more expensive.

Thinking about it now, there is a world market shop near my parents, (Not the same one Chad mentions) I'm going to peek in there and see what they have.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 06:30:10 PM »
Wegmans in the Northeast, especially their bigger stores usually have an international aisle which has an Irish/British section.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:59:06 PM »
In Tampa, I used to go here all the time:  http://www.britans.com/

TBH, I went for the frozen yogurt mostly, but enjoyed looking over (and occasionally buying) all the imported British goodies at the same time!
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 01:34:43 AM »
I found a photo online of the Wegman's British food section (I was looking for a listing of their usual stock).  It gives you an idea of what they carry, and it really isn't that expensive IIRC (but squinting and looking at the prices in the pictures, things are a little more than I remember):

There are a few photos in that stream about the Wegman's British section.

I really miss Wegman's.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:38:22 AM by Legs Akimbo »

• A Ginger Abroad
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 08:10:18 AM »
If you're looking for good quality back bacon, try William's Pork online store <http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus6f/store/comersus_index.asp>. If you're trying to find sweet stuff, I think Cybercandy was mentioned in previous posts (My boyfriend loves getting his Mountain Dew fix from there). For a whole host of British goodies you can always try W.I.S.E. Choice UK <http://www.wisechoiceuk.com>

Hope that helps!
06 May, 2006 - met
14 May, 2007 - start dating
20 December, 2009 - engaged!
03 August, 2010 - UK Fiance Visa applied for
26 August, 2010 - UK Fiance Visa granted!

[nofollow]

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 08:22:40 AM »
In Austin TX there is a supermarket at Interstate 35 and 38th Street called Fiesta -- the last I knew, they had some "International" aisles one of which carried a selection of UK foods -- candy bars, Birds Eye custard, all kinds of things. The prices, however, were definitely "luxury import" prices. A can of Birds Eye Ambrosia made with Devon cream, while about, what? 60p in the UK, cost $2.00 at Fiesta.

Also be careful with chocolate that seems to be the UK version and brand -- some of them are licenced to be manufactured in Hershey PA, are made to a different formula, and they actually don't taste the same as the UK version of the same candy bar.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »
In the Houston area there are quite a few places to buy British products.

My local Kroger has a good selection of British cheeses. Not a lot else. But other Kroger stores have other items. Fiesta stores have a lot more. Spec's Liquor stores have a lot of stuff too. The one on Smith Street in downtown has an entire little store inside the store of imported foods from all over the world...both fresh and packaged things.

www.goodwoods.com is a good place to order from and if you sign up with them, they send emails every couple of weeks with discount codes.

There's a shop in the Rice University area called British Isles. http://www.britishislesonline.com/cms_home/ I haven't been there but have been told they have a good selection.

There are several Cost Plus World Markets around the Houston area. I've only been to the one in the Woodlands but they had quite a lot of things.
A lot of the HEB stores in the Houston area have International sections, with a British section included.  I've seen those in The Woodlands and Conroe (closest to me).  Some Kroger stores also have these sections.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab